Notes Left Behind - this choked me up

thrasherfox

BUSA
Donating Member
Registered
Dying girl's notes to parents, sister inspire book | ABS-CBN News Online Beta

CHICAGO - With just days to live and too sick to speak, a six-year-old girl hid notes and drawings all over her house telling her parents and her sister again and again "I love you."

While Elena Desserich was writing the notes, her parents were keeping a diary so her younger sister Gracie would one day understand what happened after Elena was diagnosed with brain cancer.

They transformed that diary into a book entitled "Notes Left Behind," which was released in the United States this week.

All the proceeds go to a charity Elena's parents created in her memory to fight pediatric cancer called The Cure Starts Now.

Elena's parents found the first notes in a backpack. Others were hidden between books on the bookshelf, in the corner of our dresser drawers, between dishes in the china cabinet or between photos stacked away in boxes.

"We started to collect them and they would all say 'I love you Mom, Dad and Grace.' We kept finding them, and still to this day, we keep finding them," Keith Desserich told WLWT television in their hometown of Cincinnati, Ohio.

"Literally, there are hundreds of notes that we found."

Desserich and his wife Brooke each hold onto a sealed note they've never opened.

"We always want to know that there's one more note that we haven't read yet," he said.

WOW. That little gas was nothing but a blessing. She planted a lot of seed before she left. Maybe we should follow in her footsteps with our own loved ones.:bowdown:

It's kind of like that with pictures too. Any time someone brings me or my wife one we are very excited to see it but at the same time we can't help wondering if it will be the last. As time goes by they become fewer and fewer. I keep a small book with me almost all the time. It's full of job notes things to remember and thoughts of my wife and youngest son. When It's full I get another one and put that one where it can be found, just in case. Each day is a gift.

There is still goodness left in the world and it is tied to the innocence of children...

Amazing that a 6yr old could comprehend what was happening and unfortunately what was to come. And then to make sure she was thinking of her loved ones.

I have a daughter her same age......needless to say this choked me up and I applaud her maturity. RIP young child :please:

Back