Noise from clutch cover (I've read the others)

Blake051300

Registered
Here the facts. I have a 2003 stock motor busa with about 5500 miles. A rattling sound is coming from within the clutch cover and is consistent with the clutch lever pulled in or out. When I ride it it can be heard at all times. Not that it's an exact science I used a long screw driver and probed different areas (head, cam chain tensioner, bottom end, header to head flange and in the area of the pair blockoffs) I definently heard it inside the cover. I disaaembled the clutch and removed the hub and clutch mod.
How much play should be in the springs inside the outer basket and what is there purpose, I've noticed that the good billet ones don't have them. Also how much play should there be between the clutch fibers disks and the groves in the basket, because mine has approximately 1/8"

I recently bought this one and it didnt make this sound for the first 100 miles.

i dont think its put together correctly, 1/8" is alot of play, when it rattles can u feel it in the clutch lever?

an 1/8 may be a little excessive of a guesstimate but its a solid 1/16" +
As far as being installed incorrectly installed, I've done this numerous times and not to mention its almost idiot proof
and no I feel nothing in the lever, there's no vibration at all, its just the noise. When it was apart I jiggled the springs in the outer basket and they seem to make the noise I'm hearing.

Last edited:
an 1/8 may be a little excessive of a guesstimate but its a solid 1/16" +
As far as being installed incorrectly installed, I've done this numerous times and not to mention its almost idiot proof
and no I feel nothing in the lever, there's no vibration at all, its just the noise. When it was apart I jiggled the springs in the outer basket and they seem to make the noise I'm hearing.

i have found out from many people that i worked with that there is nothing idiot proof ( not down talking u or ur work )

i just installed my clutch a few days ago i dont have any play in my springs, do u have and measuring equipment that u can measure the spring free length?

Yes I could measure but I think your talking about the wrong springs. I don'y mean the ones on the pressure plate that bolt to the clutch mod, I'm talking about the ones in behind the hub and clutch mod when they are removed. The ones in the outer basket.

I'm convinced its the springs in the basket, a friend of mine has a spare laying around. I'm gonna replace tonight after work and I'm guessing that's the fix.

Back