No helmets

captain

Dis in my way!
Staff member
Administrator
Ballard and Fine died shortly after 1:30 p.m. Sunday on U.S. 281, five miles south of Hinton, troopers said.

The patrol said Ballard was driving a motorcycle that slowed down for an animal that was off the roadway.

Troopers said Amanda L. Smallen, 21, of Lookeba was driving behind the motorcycle and reached down to place a cup into a cup holder inside her car.

When she looked up, she saw the motorcycle swerve left and attempted to avoid colliding with it. But her car struck the motorcycle, throwing off both Ballard and Fine.

Smallen, who was not wearing a seat belt, was not injured. Ballard and Fine, neither of whom wore a helmet, both died at the scene

That's just awful news Captain. My heart goes out to the families that loss their loved ones.

Question, does Amanda get charged with manslaughter ?

sad.gif
And that's how it happens...only takes a second for someone to plow in to you...RIP to the fallen riders and I sure wished they'd had helmets on; may have had a chance...we'll never know...

For all that read this post please keep these simple guidelines in mind.
My heart felt prayers go out to the Families and Fallen Riders

For riders:

Always wear a helmet

Always wear protective gear

Never ride under the influence

Ride only in good weather conditions

Ride responsibly

Assume you’re invisible, constantly scan the road

Ride extra defensively

Take regular MSF courses

And for the automobile drivers ...

Look for motorcycles, especially when checking traffic at an intersection

Because of it's small size, a motorcycle may look farther away than it is

Because of it's small size, a motorcycle can be easily hidden in a car’s blind spots

Motorcyclists often slow by downshifting or merely rolling off the throttle, thus not activating the brake light

Motorcyclists often adjust position within a lane to be seen more easily and to minimize the effects of road debris, passing vehicles, and wind

Don't expect a motorcyclist to always be able to dodge out of the way

Stopping distance for motorcycles increases quickly when the road is wet

When a motorcycle is in motion, don't think of it as motorcycle; think of it as a person

She will probably get a $25 fine. That's what normally happens in this area. What about justice? Forget it.

Chris

Back