Nitrous Tanks

GSXRFANN

FLUNKIE
Donating Member
Registered
I was able to aquire 2 nitrous tanks that are full. They are medical grade nitrous tanks. The tanks say TARE37lbs. Does this mean that the tank weighs 37lbs or that the tank HOLDS 37lbs? Also, how do I know if the tank has a siphon tube on it? I can't find anything that says either way. I also called my local supply house about getting the tanks refilled, and they acted like they couldn't do it. It is their tanks because it has their name on them. I don't want to refill with medical grade, I just want automotive grade.
Also, does anyone know where I can get and adapter that goes from the big valve down to a 4AN fitting. I am just going to use a regular NOS hose to fill my small tanks with. A regular NOS hose should be strong enough shouldn't it?

Thanks for your input..I know these are dumb questions!

You have two full tanks of medical grade nitrous?  That reminds me of college  
all_coholic.gif

Tare is the empty bottle weight. The big bottles we get tare between 115-120 and weigh about 170-175 full. If the bottle is a siphon it usually has D.T. (dip tube) stamped on the valve, but I have seen some without.

Tare is the empty bottle weight.
+1  think we talked about this already... Medical bottles do not use tubes... They just want gas..
I was hoping you would chime in!! I value your opinions on stuff. So, if I can't find a siphon tube marking then I should be able to inver the bottle and get the gas out of it???
I wonder how much NOS they actually have in them?? The bottles aren't much bigger in size than a 10lb bottle that people run in cars. Kinda surprised me actually.
So, do you think I would be okay with the 3ft NOS line that I already have??

what ever you do , do not sell them (well at least sell and get caught, selling controlled substances is not a good idea
smile.gif
)

Invert for liquid, right side up for gas... Refilling other bottles requires inverted..

If you go to get these bottle refilled, they will only exchage them and you need a script or license to do so..

Just weigh the bottles now.. I would guess that they are going to weigh in around 7 to 15 pounds heavier if they are full... The bottles I use are the same as "full size" oxygen bottles

I think "common" racing bottles use a 37AN line and medical uses a 45 SAE (I think) NOS line is teflon steel braid and will work just fine (no kinks or damage to line please) If it springs a leak, it will hurt you..

Yeah, the threads are on the outside of the valve instead of the inside like on most big bottles. Oh, trust me, if I sold them, they would be EMPTY first..LOL!! My goal is to eventually get a regular FULL size bottle, but I couldn't pass up free!! I could not locate a fitting that would work for the transfer from the big bottle to the little ones. That stinks too. I am off work tomorrow and I was wanting to piddle around with it a little.

what ever you do , do not sell them  (well at least sell and get caught, selling controlled substances is not a good idea
smile.gif
)

Invert for liquid, right side up for gas...  Refilling other bottles requires inverted..

If you go to get these bottle refilled, they will only exchage them and you need a script or license to do so..

Just weigh the bottles now.. I would guess that they are going to weigh in around 7 to 15 pounds heavier if they are full...  The bottles I use are the same as "full size" oxygen bottles

I think "common" racing bottles use a 37AN line and medical uses a 45 SAE (I think)  NOS line is teflon steel braid and will work just fine (no kinks or damage to line please)  If it springs a leak, it will hurt you..
Heck, I need to get your phone number...you are a wealth of knowledge when it comes to this stuff.

might find a hose maker that can put something together for you (weatherhead dealers)

I finally made a bracket to hold my supply bottle, and made a pigtail to hook up to the bottle for the bike. I followed everyones advice and froze the small bottle, and guess what...it WORKS!! Can't beleive I actually got something to work right!!

Thanks guys for the info!!
thumb_up.gif
thumb_up.gif
thumb_up.gif
beerchug.gif
bowdown.gif
cool.gif

thumb_up.gif

thumb_up.gif

never had any doubts about you (well your mechanical ability anyway) Just be careful with the liquid...

Back