Nitrous Nozzle Locaton

McyMike

Donating Member
Registered
Putting on a MPS dry NOS system. Instructions recommend installling the NOS nozzle in one of the RAM tubes. To me this seems like the mixture is really not evenly mixing like it could AND the NOS has to travel through the air filter. I have done the small air box mod and would like to relocate the nozzle in place of the flapper door vacuum actuator "thing" that I have already removed. Seems like the NOS would be in a central distribution point relative to the throttle bodies and won't have to go through the air filter. Is this a wrong assumption?

Mike

You are 100% correct. It will NOT distribute evenly in the ram air tube!
AND,
The best place to put it IS in the hole that the valve came out of.
Here is a fitting that I used.
It's just mocked up in this picture.
It's billet aluminium. I'll sell it and ship it to you for $45, if you are interested.

SLEEPERBUSA@AOL.COM

DSC01987.JPG

all_coholic.gif
First of all, Im not a "NOS expert" but my understanding of why they recommend placing the nozzle in the ram tube is for two reasons:
1. they want the nos to hit the air box sensor thats mounted outside the filter element.
2. unlike direct injected nos, were nos is injected evenly into each throttle body, Dry nos needs time to mix before getting to the 4 throttle bodies as to deliver an even amount of nos/air mixture to each. If the dry nos nozzle is placed too close to the throttle bodies, one cylinder (or throttle body) may get a higher concentrate of the nos causing that particular cylinder to produce more horsepower and/or run leaner than the others. It will cause the motor to run "unbalanced" (along with a number of other issues) and thats a problem you don't want to deal with!!
Note: just incase you dont no, NOS concentrates oxygen, it is not flamable.

You are right about hitting the sensor and making the engine richen up, to compensate for the extra oxygen.
A 20 or 30 shot doesn't even need a power commander, so that tells you how little it actually changes the fuel mixture.
Running a 40 shot WILL require a Power Commander.

At 980lbs of bottle pressure, the nitrous gets EVERYWHERE in the box. It WILL hit the sensor.

Using the ram air tube WILL cause uneven distribution!!!
If you use the left tube, the left, 2 cylinders are fed more than the right, 2 cylinders.

Talking to MPS Racing, NOS only need to hit the sensor if you're not using a fuel management system (MPS F1, PWR CMDR) to richen the mixture. I've moved my sensor to the ram tube to read a little colder air during normal riding.

Mike

I am using that same plate that he has. I am in the middle of hooking up the kit. I am just waiting to get some guidance on the wiring to make sure the schematic that I drew up is right then I will let everyone know how it works.

The NOS is the Cats Ass!!!!!!! No hesitiation, just makes the front end wiggle now has the front tire tries to leave the pavement at 80-100 MPH with the "button " pressed

What a blast!

Back