New Motor Lasted Less Than 1000 Feet!

I may end up shipping it to RCC. I tried Knecum at the time I had the motor out, but he wasnt taking out of sate motors at the time. This is the best we have out here in Wa, and thats not saying much. Probably 1500-2000 in shipping, but I'd get a motor out of it.

wow i wouldnt think 1500...i would ship the whole bike to them. Should be around 400 to 500 to ship it.

Get a Hold of Goldenchild,, He is Oregon, and Knows what he is doing, all motor or Turbo..

So what is done to the motor?

What Turbo set up, and fuel set up are you running?
Are you running a Dump pipe, full exhaust,, Was the kit new, or used?

Who is Tuning this,, And how is it being tuned? Ecu reflash with wideband, or Powercommander?

Turbo kit is my 2tk mile ultra plenum cooled RCC, stage 2, rods, pistons, valves, springs, ecu tuned with RCC map, 1 to 1 reg. The bike was spot on for 25k miles, and ran perfectly when torn down. Head gasket had developed a slight leak and was pressurizing the coolant system. I trapped at 162 mph just prior to noticing the coolant loss.
APE milled the head, checked the cylinder, honed the cylinder, did a full valve job and new seals. Head gasket is supplied via John Noonan, along with the new rings. Pistons looked brand new, with no heat issues at all and perfect ring lands.
This should have been any easy rebuild. There's nothing exotic about it. The 400 hp part is a big variable, but this never saw more than maybe 20hp when it let go (literally 20hp).

Not sure what to think about the lesson to be learned. If a builder blames parts that arent new it would mean I would have had to buy a brand new head, new cylinder, new pistons, etc. There would be no such thing as a rebuild, it would have to be a zero mile/all new parts build. All parts were inspected and green lighted by either APE and /or the shop.
Maybe the lesson is not to use any non big name builders? I had this motor built by another local pro at 5k miles and it took all the abuse I could throw at it for 25k miles.
At this point its all speculation. Once I hear back about what they say is the problem I will work from there.
Thanks for all the replies. Its nice to have a knowledgeable group to biunce this off of. Also noce to get some free threapy so I dont start having a giant grown man tantrum, lol.

You could call Scott Horner at Heads Up Performance in SLC. Don't know if he is doing any motor builds these days.
EDR in Portland or KFG in Auburn have good reputations but they are probably up to their neck in road race bikes these days.

sorry to hear that sux. I know that feeling all too well lol but hey their jus toys to me. just expensive toys. but far cheaper then having a drug or gambling problem.... I hurt my last motor cause I ran it low on oil. u sure they put the proper amount of oil in it? u got a lowered pan?

Im not ignoring rhe GC recommendation. Just waiting for Everette Powersports to vet back to me.

Yep, just toys. "My turbo Busa broke" is a VERY first World complaint. We're all lucky to have it so good.

Sorry to hear the bad news on something you have big bucks on the line. I know my local mechanic warranty his work and parts when he buys them but if I provide them then the parts are on me. Hopefully the business is honest since they are inclined to minimize their culpability and say the reasons its a part when it's the assemble process if thats a case. For a new part to fail is highly unlikely and odds are more likely they missed a step in assembly of the motor.
Hope it works out in your favor.....

It will be on a pallet heading to Steve Knecum in a couple of days. I just called the local shop and told them not to tear it down, just get the motor out of the frame and turbo off. It makes a lot more sense to hire the best builders to work on a bike that I've spent so much time and money on. Also, the thought of going 230 miles per hour and wondering if the last guys got all the bolts tightened down is not a good thought, LOL.

You'll never regret having Steve put a motor together for you John. He did a 1340 GSXR motor for me way back when, and recently did my t-Hayabusa motor. The oil cooled motor still runs great, and the Hayabusa motor runs better than it did when I first bought the bike 13 years ago. Steve is one of the best in the business for sure...

I am not a "big name builder" But ask just about anyone...I have a idea what I am doing
Get the manual, and follow EVERY SINGLE step and that will give you the knowledge to assemble your motor correctly
then do 1,000 of them and you will have the experience that a Stetson,knecum and so on has, and yes they will do a better job and get you some extra HP
But with the manual, and following instructions almost anybody can put together a Motor

Agreed, I wish I had him do it from the start. I figured that it was pretty much a stock spec rebuild and "eaht could go wrong", lol.

But Kent How many motors, have we built,, and they at least run for quite some time!

Agreed, I wish I had him do it from the start. I figured that it was pretty much a stock spec rebuild and "eaht could go wrong", lol.
thinking it is/was a stock spec rebuild is all the more reason to have attempted it yourself, tear it down clean the SH$% out of everything.
Have the head,block and crank sent for inspection/decking/crank polishing, until you have done a bunch and know how to check it, and what to look for
Use the same bearing colors that came out. Even it had to come apart again. you would be on your own timetable not someone else's

Too many unknowns for me to miss. Knecum motors hold tons of records, and that's a huge confidence factor for me. Plus, the last motor I did took me almost a year to get back on the road. I don't want to miss any more riding. Also, if I ever sell it I know a Knecum built motor would look alot better than if I did it. I'm fantastic at making things look shiny and cool, but the minutia of specific torque values, bearinging tolerances, and the unkown tricks of making motors bullit proof are something I know I should leave to the true pros.
My mistake was taking it to a local shop at all. The last build went 25k miles with no problems. This one...1000 feet.

Back