New job offer...what to do??

All good points mentioned above. I'd suggest talking to your current employer and see if they can bump up your current compensation some. They may not be able to match the other offer, but it helps sometimes to give your current job a chance.

Regardless, in your profession you should never have a problem finding another job!

Good luck!

Job security is a ficticious word these days. Leave on good terms with your current company and give plenty of notice. You are young and would probably be hired by another company if something went wrong with the new one. I would go for it!!!

Again, thank you all for your input. Barring some sort of a disaster at the interview, I will be pursuing a career with this new employer. I know from speaking to my friend that my current boss MIGHT be inclined to increase my current compensation (10% on the spot is what he was offered) to entice me to stay but I have to weight other factors...
- New job offers 2 weeks vacation, like my current job.
- New job will allow me to choose my 4 days off per month, where with my current, it was a total crapshoot.

I will let everyone know how the interview goes on Monday! Thank you all again!

Good luck!!

beerchug.gif

I would absolutely go with the new company, nothing more predictable in business than change. The new company offers new contacts, new techniques/skills etc, this will make you more employable if you lose your job anyway. I have seen way to many people stay with a compny until they are thrown out for "business reasons", only to find they were not ready for it. Leave under your terms, or at least let your current employer make a counter offer.

Good Luck whichever way you go.

Ok, so whomever is following this thread, here's the latest.

Went for the job interview today and things seem to have gone very well. The guy just couldn't flat out tell me "your hired" cause things have to be finalized with the CEO, but he did go ahead and ask me what I desired for compensation and when can I go ahead and start work.

I will know definates by Friday, but as far as my dilemma, I have decided to go with my gut feeling, and the majority of the advice given here and take the new job.

Like 350 said above, it will give me new contacts and will give me a more personal relationship with the customers I will be working with and my coworkers and managers. The opportunity for advancement with this new company will come VERY much sooner than the one im currently with, and thats my ultimate goal, is to keep MOVIN ON UP!!!

Thanks everyone, will stay with this thread, keep everyone posted when i make the offical move to the new job!!

Ok, so whomever is following this thread, here's the latest.

Went for the job interview today and things seem to have gone very well.  The guy just couldn't flat out tell me "your hired" cause things have to be finalized with the CEO, but he did go ahead and ask me what I desired for compensation and when can I go ahead and start work.

I will know definates by Friday, but as far as my dilemma, I have decided to go with my gut feeling, and the majority of the advice given here and take the new job.  

Like 350 said above, it will give me new contacts and will give me a more personal relationship with the customers I will be working with and my coworkers and managers.  The opportunity for advancement with this new company will come VERY much sooner than the one im currently with, and thats my ultimate goal, is to keep MOVIN ON UP!!!

Thanks everyone, will stay with this thread, keep everyone posted when i make the offical move to the new job!!
cool...I'm sure you'll make the right decision. I know your a math nut and will weigh the cost vs benefits vs acceptable risk. $25k a year is a good pay hike, just make sure you have a good contigency plan in place, something to fall back on incase things don't work out.

Once you get an offer, try to let your current company match it...then present that offer to your gaining organization to show how marketable you are, maybe they'll throw in a free toaster, lol, good luck bro!

BTW: since you'll be making more money now, you can buy lunch for us all at the meet!
laugh.gif

Back