New HID Install

TallTom

Registered
Just had my bike out for the first time at night after installing my HIDs. HOLY CRAP these suckers throw out the light. Before my install I noticed that my lights were pointing too much down in front of me. Factory set positions. I had set my suspension per Jinks method and in doing that my tail was higher than factory so this added to the already low pointing more.
So I had set my old headlights up a little better in the garage before the HID install.

Then I do the HID Install. There is such a broad fan of light that you really can't get a good reference in the garage as to what they will do out on the road. Last night I was lighting up half the county with just my low beams and I'd like to set them up to go like 6 feet to the right and maybe 10 feet down now. How do you know how much correction the adjusters give you per turn? Short of taking the wrench with me and going out on a road at night somewhere I don't see how setting anything up in the garage is very doable. I mean the beam friggin lights up the whole garage now. If I put the bikes nose right to the wall to concentrate the beam, I still don't know how much correction I'm getting when I make a tweak on the adjusters.

Any suggestions?

Right now I worry about two things. Annoying others in traffic and some LEO deciding I got issues with too bright a light in on-coming traffic.

I'll say one thing, they certainly give you MUCH more confidence in riding at night. You can see WAAAAYYYY out there now.

Try parking the bike 10-15 ft away from the garage door on a rear stand, then you can see about how much to adjust the height of the beam.

well, I did it about a month ago...eventually, you will take off your gage clusters couple of times...when I adjust mine too high, and I went out at nite...alot of cage drivers get bothered big time...and some lady, flash the emergency light and just stop middle of the HWY...
crazy.gif
(this is when I decided to turn it down some...)
when the low beam is about shooting 100 yard, its pretty good, when I adjusting mine from the factory seetings, I put 15 rachet turns, was too high, you prolly do 10 turns will do the right job...but I still left the high beam real high...just in case...
all_coholic.gif

Take the trim around the gauges off, unbolt the cluster and leave the pins in the rubber grommets. Take thet baby out on the road with your wrench, and adjust .

my low was ok. I adjusted my high beam up. You don't want to outrun your lights at night.
SHOCKED.gif

i ended up taking my guage cluster on and off a few times till i eventually ended up where i could go out and not get brited everywhere i went. I still get brited every once in a while but ide rather they know im there then them not see me at all.
beerchug.gif

(GSXcite @ Apr. 08 2007,10:10) Take the trim around the gauges off, unbolt the cluster and leave the pins in the rubber grommets. Take thet baby out on the road with your wrench, and adjust .
+1 - that's exactly how I did mine. I installed HID about 2 weeks ago and they do throw out the light!

I was riding with GSXcite and KanjiBusa - I was bringing up the rear...and you could not see their headlights with my HID on!

(GSXcite @ Apr. 08 2007,08:10) Take the trim around the gauges off, unbolt the cluster and leave the pins in the rubber grommets. Take thet baby out on the road with your wrench, and adjust .
without the gage cluster, it will go anywhere
rock.gif

(hydrabusa @ Apr. 08 2007,23:15)
(GSXcite @ Apr. 08 2007,08:10) Take the trim around the gauges off, unbolt the cluster and leave the pins in the rubber grommets. Take thet baby out on the road with your wrench, and adjust .
without the gage cluster, it will go anywhere
rock.gif
Just remove the bolts from the bottom of the cluster - leave the cluster in place.

Take a 10mm wrench/socket with you out on a ride. Look where the beam cutoff is. Pull off to the side, pull the cluster out of the rubber grommets and make adjustments. Ride around some more to see if the new adjustment will work. Continue until you are happy.

Has anyone looked at how much higher your highbeam is above the low beams when shining them against a wall? Just trying to see if my high beam isn't high enough. I have the rear of the bike raised an inch, I just raised up my low beam and want to test it out before I mess with the high beam. If I am shining the lights against a wall, the high beam seems to be blended into the low beam area, maybe 1/2 of it's output is higher than where the low beam is.

Back