New Fuel Pump Install

mach1mike

Registered
I went to have my 03 Busa dynotuned at BRG Racing in Pacheco Ca because it was starting to miss and the gas mileage went down to 15. The tuner said the fuel pump and pressure regulator were bad so he will fix that before tuning. My problem is that the oem part comes as a unit with pump, regulator and sender all in one for 870.00. I found an aftermarket AEM 50-1000 from Schnitz for a little over one hundred but it is the pump only, can't find a regulator for the in tank unit for an 02 to 07 Busa. The AEM unit is supposed to have an internal regulator set at 43lb so does not need an seperate regulator, but the install directions and photos shown on Schnitz site show the regulator still in place. I have not been able to talk to the tech department, nor has my tuner. The woman at Schnitz says they only respond by email? Anybody know anything about this regulator problem?

I went to have my 03 Busa dynotuned at BRG Racing in Pacheco Ca because it was starting to miss and the gas mileage went down to 15. The tuner said the fuel pump and pressure regulator were bad so he will fix that before tuning. My problem is that the oem part comes as a unit with pump, regulator and sender all in one for 870.00. I found an aftermarket AEM 50-1000 from Schnitz for a little over one hundred but it is the pump only, can't find a regulator for the in tank unit for an 02 to 07 Busa. The AEM unit is supposed to have an internal regulator set at 43lb so does not need an seperate regulator, but the install directions and photos shown on Schnitz site show the regulator still in place. I have not been able to talk to the tech department, nor has my tuner. The woman at Schnitz says they only respond by email? Anybody know anything about this regulator problem?

I just got a reply via email from Schnitz this morning. I sent them an email at the same time I posted to Busa.org, saying esentially the same thing. Originally when I first enquired about the aftermarket fuel pump with them a month or so ago, the email response I got said their AEM 50-1000 unit was a direct replacement and had a built in regulator and did not need the stock regulator. In today's email they (Schnitz) said the original regulator would have to be used as theirs did not have a regulator built in. If I had gone through the hassle of ordering theirs and had the tuner put it in and found out it would not work because the pressure regulator was bad I would have been out a lot of time and additional money, for the part and the tuners time. The tuner told me he could not accurately test the regulator. What I did was have him keep any eye out on ebay for what he considered a good used complete assemble for 02 to 07 and get it. Some of the few complete assemblys offered on ebay show a picture that does not fit the description of the unit I need. Well my tuner has been looking out for one for a few weeks and found one and ordered it, so I should be on the road again in a few days with a monster tuned more powerful busa than everl He uses a woolrich system and does ignition through the ecu as well as fuel mapping. I had a power commander on it when I got it a year and a half ago and it made no difference at all when I took it off. I don't know what map the original owner used or if he even mapped it right, he was not a relaible type guy. The bike is an 03 and only had 5,000 miles on it.

I'll keep y'all advised on how this goes and how the bike runs after all said and done, The used unit was around 400.00, the tune is 495.00, plus labor for the fuel pump and what ever else he can find wrong with the bike after sitting unused for so long. It never did run quite as strong as my 2000 which I bought new. I put 55,000 on my 2,000, some cross country miles and never had a problem with anything on the bikd, all mainly stock. I had to quit riding for awhile due to a bad hip. Got a new one and can ride again but could not afford a new Busa. Bought an 88 sportster 883 from a friend cheap and with payments, had that for for years and was never really happy with that thing at all Hayabusa Rules!!

Well,, where to start,,, the major problem with Gen one pumps, is the the FILTER,,, Not the pump, and Not the regulator. Im sorry you have gone down this road.

Your tuner should be able to pressure test the pump, and if he cant,, i can show him how too.

Do you still have the stock pump assembly,, let me know. If the bike only had 5k i swear, that the pump and regulator should be fine, and the filter being the cause of your problems.
The only way, my comments would be wrong, is if the tanks fuel had turned into shellac, and smelled like green death,,

Back