Never let your guard down when parking a Busa

jellyrug

Donating Member
Registered
I have dreaded all the news here, when someone accidentally drops his bike.

Developed a pattern, where I always roll the bike back in 1st, put the sidestand down, place my left toe against the stand base and keep it there while dismounting.

So today the Busa had to go to the dealer for DMV tag inspection and I have a bunch of painters at the house with paint cans in front of the parked bike.

Cursing, I moved the paint cans, moved the bike to the middle of the garage to check tire pressure, put the stand down without my usual protocol and as I got off she tipped over.

Fortunately wifey was close, I stopped the momentum of the fall and we both picked the bike up. The garage floor epoxy paint mark on the stator cover rubbed off and I have a very small scratch, on the left pipe corner, you can't really notice it, so I was lucky this time. My back is complaining though, something pulled.

Thought I would just post, so others don't make the same mistake.

Atleast she didnt fall hard!! i always put my stand down to kill it in first(if im parking it in gear) and then give the stand a kick for good measures, done it on everything ive ever ridden, just like reaching down and checking the stands all the way up before i leave.

Nice save! I was not as fortunate but all is well. Justin has a big box of parts on the way. :thumbsup:

Take it easy on that back for a few day. :rulez:

Sorry about the accident, Willem. Glad everything is going to be alright though. Take it easy for a few days and don't aggravate the sore back. Maybe you can even talk the Mrs into giving you a nice massage. :thumbsup:

Like you, I have always been very careful when parking by bikes. The one time my Busa went down was when I jumped off in a hurry and left it in neutral and running on a slight grade. Luckily, I was able to catch it just as the stator cover touched asphalt. No other damage. That just happened to be the excuse I had been looking for to get a Woodcraft cover. :laugh:

Yep, leave in gear and give it a slight tug to the rear while the stand is on the ground. I then rock it a bit with weight on it just to make sure.

There is a saying in the aviation community that goes something like this. Continue to fly the plane until it's tied down. Meaning there can be many accidents while taxiing on the ground due to wind, obstacles etc. I believe the same philosophy can be applied to motorcycles. I'm glad the damage was minimal. I just ordered a woodcraft cover and need to get it installed.

?????? How hot was it?

DSC07596.jpg

DSC07596.jpg

Happened to me once. I got one of those plate thingy from a bike shop you rest the bike stand on.

Glad the damage to bike was not to bad Willem, And the back will heal in a few days. Hope you feel better soon..

Back