Need the Org's opinion - Am I wrong on this one?

zukracer

I'm somewhere but dont know where
Donating Member
Registered
So while I was away last week for work my wife had one of her best friends and her kids out for a visit. Turns out one of the kids took the cable/dvr remote from our house & it was only found when his mother was unpacking his backpack the next day. They live almost 2hrs from us, so it's a bit of a pain to just run it back over. Well a week later and I'm like wtf? I get a bit of attitude from my wife and asked when they planned to return it. Now this remote is the cable company's and while not fancy I'm on the hook for $250 should it not be returned.

We wound up within 30mins of their house today running errands and I suggested that regardless of whatever else was going on someone from that household should at least meet us at one of our planned stops. This is when my wife started on her beotching saying that I was being a d!ck about it all. Turns out we had to drive 30 mins more out of our way to meet her friend to get the remote back. This delayed our dinner plans and causing us to get home a bit later than expected.

My view was/is that if you steal my stuff and are caught, I can either allow you to return it or call the police. Obviously I wasn't calling the cops on my wife's friend but that only leaves them returning it. I honestly feel that we should not have been imposed on to go pick it up, especially when we were already saving them 4hrs of driving if they had to drive to our house. My wife still insists I am overreacting and that "what's the big deal if we go me them".

So I put it to you all. Would you have held your ground that if someone stole from you that they should feel the pain to return it or make things right?

I would have asked that they sent in over night mail. She would have been just as mad as you are if one of your friends kids took her stuff.

Got no help for you :dunno:

If someone had stolen something from house and got caught, I would go get it regardless of the distance and never let the thief back in. And if the Mrs sided with the thief over me I would probably tell her to get in the car, go get the remote and leave her there like some kind of hostage trade from a spy movie.

I would never take something from someone's house..
If I was the visitor and my kid had taken it, I would have thrown him and the remote in the car and taken it back right there and then regardless of the distance walked him to the door to make him give it back with at least a very sincere " I am sorry" or "It was a mistake" to go with it.

How do you get him to be sincere about it??? "I am going to take all your stuff away games, PC internet and free time away for a while to see how you like it ??? :laugh:

Thats just me and I have been told by more than one person I am weird..:laugh:

what did ur wife's friend have to say? and how old is the kid who stole from ur house?

you would think she would appologize and either immediately drive it back to ur house or mail it to you next day air. your wife is well aware ur not over reacting. ur wife just doesnt want to be forced in making a decision that could be "Uncomfortable" asking her friend to do the right thing. thats why she is coping an attitude. its just a diversion.

I guess its one of the "Pick ur battles" situation. ur wife didnt want to pick a battle with her best friend over a remote cause its easier to pick one with you and make you out to be the bad guy. ur 100% right. she knows it, you know it so put in behind you cause ur wife aint admitting she was in the wrong.

So while I was away last week for work my wife had one of her best friends and her kids out for a visit. Turns out one of the kids took the cable/dvr remote from our house & it was only found when his mother was unpacking his backpack the next day. They live almost 2hrs from us, so it's a bit of a pain to just run it back over. Well a week later and I'm like wtf? I get a bit of attitude from my wife and asked when they planned to return it. Now this remote is the cable company's and while not fancy I'm on the hook for $250 should it not be returned.

We wound up within 30mins of their house today running errands and I suggested that regardless of whatever else was going on someone from that household should at least meet us at one of our planned stops. This is when my wife started on her beotching saying that I was being a d!ck about it all. Turns out we had to drive 30 mins more out of our way to meet her friend to get the remote back. This delayed our dinner plans and causing us to get home a bit later than expected.

My view was/is that if you steal my stuff and are caught, I can either allow you to return it or call the police. Obviously I wasn't calling the cops on my wife's friend but that only leaves them returning it. I honestly feel that we should not have been imposed on to go pick it up, especially when we were already saving them 4hrs of driving if they had to drive to our house. My wife still insists I am overreacting and that "what's the big deal if we go me them".

So I put it to you all. Would you have held your ground that if someone stole from you that they should feel the pain to return it or make things right?

Like others said. What was the mother's attitude about it all?

nxt time frisk them b4 they leave or act surprise nxt time they come over & greet them with a oh waht u come 2 take this time then look the wife dead n the eyes & say thats being a ****

You were right for wanting your item back. I don't think they meant to take it as it was likely not useful to them. The mother if she was a respectful,responsible mother for $8 she could have made time to drop it at a post office for your inconvience. Your wife should have let her friend know this not you, cause she was responsible for them. Tell your wife her friend, was disrespectful for not sending it back right away, and that she should support you seeing her friend kid was in the wrong and $8 for the mail would be considerate for you not having what you left in your house when you needed it.. Respect..

so as it seems to be a point of concern as to best answer the question / handle the situation... no the wife's friend is not particularly hot nor would I necessarily want any "favors" from her at any point. If I'm gonna stray, it sure as hell aint gonna be in my backyard (so to speak) :rofl:

I was told they were going to ship it, never happened. I have said to her that I am having a hard time with them coming back out again anytime soon as a result of this. I mean it was a remote but he took it and hid it in his stuff in his bag. They have only 1 cable box tv at their house so I dont have a clue why he would have taken it but its the point of it all. There are way too many other things laying around the house that could be quickly hocked for $$ by a grade school kid (various i* devices, phones, computer/electronics, etc). I dont like the feeling of having to inventory things or keep things locked up when folks come to the house, especially when I'm not around.

I think my wife knew I was right but still I dont like getting crap when there's no way to defend it as anything other than me being right. I said my peace and am letting it go but I might just try the frisking plan next time they are out. I dont want to create a rif with the wife and her friend and I was surprised he took something but I guess I will let it go. If it ever happens again all bets are off :whistle:

Anywho, thanks for the feedback guys :beerchug: At least I know I wasn't being the d!ckhead my wife said I was being :laugh:

I'm betting that your wife doesn't watch a lot of TV so missing the remote wasn't that big of a deal to her. Have 1 of your friends come over and give them something your wife uses a lot and have them keep it a week or 2 and see how she reacts.... Then when she cops an attitude say "honey why are you being such a b*tch about this :whistle:

Your right all the way, if I had stolen a remote, my mother would have driven it back to where it belonged, I would have paid for the gas and been grounded for a week....

I'm sorry. These people are "friends"?

??? It's pretty sad that you one would feel guilty for pushing the issue and two, you need to ask/remind a said friend to return property that was stolen by one of their kids because it's inconvenient for her.

Where's my BS flag...

at the very least, she should have made a straight line to the PO when she found it and got one of those "if it fits, it ships" boxes! would have taught the kid a much better lesson if she had thrown him in the back seat to come apologize to your family and admit what he had done!! if that is the parents attitude and failure to take responsibility for their offspring, it goes a long way toward explaining the behaviors of the child...i wouldn't allow the kid back in my house since he obviously isn't being trained to be the kind of kid i would want mine to be around

I would be perturbed that the wife is siding with her friend and her thieving kid. That is saying a lot! There is no way I would accept that and I would also make it clear the wife's friend and kids were no longer allowed on my property.....until I decided otherwise. A police report for future reference??....I'm not sure about that.

I kinda like the suggestion about hiding something your wife uses but that would be childish....plus the wife would probably just go buy another one. :banghead:

i would've just asked her to mail it to my house...especially if she's hot! :laugh:

Well if she is hot than you could have driven over and gotten it from her as well as a physical apology :)

She's prolly waiting for you now....
stock-footage-sexy-young-woman-lying-in-bed-with-remote-control-and-watching-tv.jpg

Well if she is hot than you could have driven over and gotten it from her as well as a physical apology :)

She's prolly waiting for you now....
stock-footage-sexy-young-woman-lying-in-bed-with-remote-control-and-watching-tv.jpg

I got (2) thoughts on that Saiid..

1. If watching TV is the best idea she has of things to do in bed?..

and?..

2. If she's looking all georgous and lonesome?...

There's a D@mn Good Reason! :laugh:

Back