Need Help

I don't now if the alcolhol mixture has anything to do with AertepT problem but from first hand experience when riding with Zukracr in S.D. we noticed after him filling up his bike using 85 octane it had the same performance problems and hard starting issues.

(Vic_E55_2001 @ Jul. 05 2007,01:49) What exactly was wrong with E-85? I`m really interested.

I pump E85 in every rental car with no problem at all. Fuel mileage seems the same and no power loss.
E85 is a mix of 85% ethanol 15% Gasoline

Ethanol alcohol optimum air/fuel ratio is about 9 to 1 . Gasoline is closer to 14:1

So when you use it in a vehicle that does not compensate for the fuel, it will be excessively lean. E85 vehicles are able to tell what fuel is being used and change accordingly.

(fsusux @ Jul. 04 2007,16:19) Would it be safe to disconnect the fuel line at the injectors and turn the key on allowing the fuel pump to pump it out?  or would that somehow damage the system?
that's the way I've done it when there's only a little bit of gar. If there's more then I just run a jumper to the fuel pumps terminals.... once most of it is out take the tank off, remove the fuel cap from the bottom and get the rest out.<span style='font-family:arial'></span>

(Professor @ Jul. 05 2007,06:36)
(Vic_E55_2001 @ Jul. 05 2007,01:49) What exactly was wrong with E-85? I`m really interested.

I pump E85 in every rental car with no problem at all. Fuel mileage seems the same and no power loss.
E85 is a mix of 85% ethanol 15% Gasoline

Ethanol alcohol optimum air/fuel ratio is about 9 to 1 . Gasoline is closer to 14:1

So when you use it in a vehicle that does not compensate for the fuel, it will be excessively lean. E85 vehicles are able to tell what fuel is being used and change accordingly.
That is the answer I was looking for.
beerchug.gif

(Vic_E55_2001 @ Jul. 05 2007,12:08) So new Busa might work on E-85 with closed loop FI?
I doubt it. A standard closed loop FI system will not detect the ration of alcohol/gasoline. It requires a sensor in the line before the injectors to determine what fuel mix is there. If I remember right, the sensor on the GM pickups is about $500. Size and weight of supporting electronics might also be an issue.

I hadn’t seen for sure the 08 would be closed loop, but I’d be interested in seeing how will operate. Likely not at full throttle. It should be targeting cruising speeds to keep emissions in check. This would be at a ratio that would not be best for performance.

There is also a performance and gas mileage loss with E85 about 15-30% depending on the engine. Higher compression engines should be toward the lower end.

Back