Need a Mechanical Diagnosis...

Flicka

Professional Booga Flicka
Registered
Here's a video of my 2010 Toyota Yaris. This noise has been happening for about a week, and I'm not exactly sure what it is. I have a 200 mile commute, so I really try to be proactive about any issues that may arise. Sorry for the dark lighting in the video.

I'm certainly not a mechanic, so any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks. :beerchug:

Sounds like something may behind the rotor! If its a wheel bearing, with the wheel on the car, you should have some wobble in the wheel, top to bottom

I can hear it. It says...
'trade me for a Ford Focus'
:laugh:

Pull the caliper and remove rotor and see what's there.

That rotor is going to have to come off, but John pegged checking the wheel bearing. Put the tire on it an try and move it top to bottom. Should have no play. With the pinging sound it seems like you be able to feel it. I'd be glad to come over and take a look one evening if you want. Or if not, I have a GREAT local mechanic I can recommend that works on anything I have. We have used him for years.

Mystery solved! Apparently a piece of gravel had become trapped inside the rotor and the shield was keeping it from falling out the back. Thanks so much for the idea, John.

Saiid, that new Focus 4/5-door hatch does look pretty good. I'm actually shopping around for something a little larger and more highway friendly that still gets 30+ MPG. Whatcha got?

Charlie, I'll have to keep you in mind with that mechanic. Thanks a lot for the offer though!

So ill take a bow now!
Mystery solved! Apparently a piece of gravel had become trapped inside the rotor and the shield was keeping it from falling out the back. Thanks so much for the idea, John.

Saiid, that new Focus 4/5-door hatch does look pretty good. I'm actually shopping around for something a little larger and more highway friendly that still gets 30+ MPG. Whatcha got?

Charlie, I'll have to keep you in mind with that mechanic. Thanks a lot for the offer though!

Back