My iron butt saddle sore

Quiksilver

Registered
Well ive finally done it(i think), an IBA saddle sore, 1000 miles in less than 24 hours. My plan was to ride from moore mafia to the dragon and then the natches trace to home.

I flew in from new orleans and landed in greenville sc. It was raining and cold when I got there. I ubered to the nearest cycle gear to pick up a few things needed for the trip.
Unfortunately a few of the essential items needed for the trip were out of stock. Then l ubered again to moores place and same thing, raining and cold.

I got my bike sorted and got my gear on and headed to the nearest gas station and fueled up. After calling a few cycle gears the nearest place with the stuff I needed was almost two hours away. I had about 45 pounds of stuff in my backpack (bad back) and the rain was very heavy so that made the ride seem twice as long. My boots were perforated and were fairly wet along with my "waterproof" gloves. I arrived at the cycle gear in columbia sc and was relieved to find out they had everything i needed. I should have purchased some new waterproof gloves but the bill was already high. I bought the bilt large tank bag, a small air compressor, metric tool kit (awsome), tire plug kit, and some waterproof boot covers.

There was a ihop close so i stopped by grabbed some grub, I was starving from not eating all day. My phone was dying and could not charge due to getting wet the from ride.

I found a close motel and got settled in. Got my clothes spread out to dry and starting trying to figure out where to work on my bike, as there were no vacancies on the bottom floor.

The rain let up and I got to work installing the wego III I got from boost by smith. Such an awsome guy to deal with and the harness was extremely easy to install. I wanted to get some datalogging on the way home to try to modify the fuel maps and also tap into the pcv autotune. I was going to try to set the pcv mapping by gear but didnt have a way to get the bike off the ground safely to set the pcv parameters. I got the wego harness sorted then started installing flashing equipment.

It took some extra time installing the flashing harness as I was being extra cautious. I loaded ecu editor and hit flash ecu out not thinking and a few minutes later it seemed successful. Went to start and never heard the fuel pump prime and she didnt fire up when I tried to start. Instant fear I bricked my ecu, commense hot head and sweat. Well I left the flash box on flash and not engine data, flipped the switch hit starter and voila bike is running, extreme relief.

I went through ecu editor and made the neccisary changes and reflashed without issue. I buttoned the bike up, went inside to organize things in my bags and dry my clothes the best I could.

I had planned to leave at 4am but didnt leave till 8am or so from staying up late. The rain was gone but the chill was there, almost perfect weather, a little windy, but a beutiful day to ride.

I stopped at the closest station, fueled up and took the needed picture for the IBA, got something to drink and I was on my way.

6 states, 1000+ miles, 22hours, hungry, cold and solo, It was serene and solitary ride. I should have brought/bought winter gear but I made it. The cold almost broke me but I pushed through it. I've wanted to do this for 10 plus years and have accomplished something on my bucket list.

I didnt take as many pictures as I shouldhave than others needed for the certification. Between planning and keeping in touch with family I didnt have much extra time.

It's upsetting to not visit the dragon but weather said there was a 90% chance of rain and temps were low. Being my first time that would'nt have been the best condition's to take that ride. I will meet the dragon, one day....

20211105_230141.jpg

20211030_053733.jpg

20211029_184013.jpg

20211029_142726.jpg

20211029_181638.jpg

Wow! Other than the cold, damp weather sounds like a good trip. Agree it would have been nice to get to the Dragon, but there will be other opportunities. Glad you made it safely.
Yes it was a good trip, I definitely got my fix lol. A friend of mine talked about a trip to deals gap and the barber vintage museum. I thought he had forgot about it but he just called and said he wants to take that trip next year. We are still recovering from a hurricane so that pushed it back even farther.

Thanks for that! I had a bad feeling about the dragon so maybe it's best I didn't make it..

Good for you and well done, at least you look young enough to recover from this experience and get ready for another....

Another testament of how good the Hayabusa platform is.
Thanks! I turned 35 on this trip and my back is knocking on 60. With lowered rear suspension and being able to lay on the large tank bag helped the most.

Call me a fan boy but the Hayabusa platform has stood the test of time for me. It's not the latest and greatest but for what it is, it's an awesome all around machine.

My hat is off to your spirit of adventure!
Sounds like a real challenging time but you got through it and it will make you a better rider and a more determined person in spite of the cold and miserable moments.
And you are so right about the Busa as the best of all the pack, I have kept my Busa 7.5 years from when I purchased it, and I just cannot see the point in selling it or replacing it. It has become a mainstay in my motorcycling life . . and I'll never ever forget the commitment she's shown me.
Ride on forever my brother!

My hat is off to your spirit of adventure!
Sounds like a real challenging time but you got through it and it will make you a better rider and a more determined person in spite of the cold and miserable moments.
And you are so right about the Busa as the best of all the pack, I have kept my Busa 7.5 years from when I purchased it, and I just cannot see the point in selling it or replacing it. It has become a mainstay in my motorcycling life . . and I'll never ever forget the commitment she's shown me.
Ride on forever my brother!
I appreciate that! I used to ride much more than I do now. I rode everyday the weather was forecasted to be good, and some that weren't. I work on a boat 3 weeks out the month and I'm playing catch-up when I get home so not much time for bike stuff. I knew the weather would be bad but stayed optimistic. It was worth it...

I know the feeling of never getting rid of it, possibly for a gen 3 but I love the Hayabusa platform. Gen 1 was my dream bike and it took 10 years to make that dream come true. It was everything I expected plus more.

Ride on and stay safe out there bro!!!

Congrats on your IBA ride, I've often regarded the two IBA rides I've done as a spiritual experience, that many hours alone on the bike. Just riding and never stopping, like bliss. Next you can plan 1500 miles in 36 hrs is the next IBA ride on the list.

An IBA rider a few days ago just completed a new IBA record, riding 100,000 miles in 100 days. Imagine doing what you did for 100 days straight. :D

Thank you sir! I would also describe it as a spiritual experience, had a lot of time to reflect on things. I also planned to to the 1500 miles in 36 hours, after spending that much time cold it made me re think that one. Two days later I was riding my cruiser in fair weather and my mind was changed lol. I won't be flying out and will be able to bring all the needed gear this time around.

Someone at worked showed me a post about it and I thought it was not true. I tip my hat off to the person that is capable of pulling this off. My trip took 20 or so hours to complete. Having 4 to 6 hours of rest has to take a tole after a week or so. He also would need maintenance along the trip. I suppose he has everything setup with Harley dealerships to be as streamlined as possible. Astonishing...

Back