my first turbo arriving soon

black diamond busa

Team Jacob
Registered
So I am getting a used turbo kit next week and have some questions.
First my bike. Stock (basic bolt ons)2001 with 37,000 miles.

Motor: so my first question is, does my motor have too many miles on it for me to put a turbo on without a rebuild first?
I want to do a compression check on all cylinders first to check how healthy my motor is. What psi should my cylinders be around? Are there any other tests I should do? Talking to my buddy and he said I should port/polish the head and put an intake can on the exhaust side. Is this worth the time and money for a stage 1? I plan on putting the high volume oil pump gear on, are there any other little parts I should buy? Good idea to send my stock injectors out to be cleaned and checked?

Tuning: I will be switching from my 16 bit to the 02-07 32 bit system. Will my pc3 work? Should I ditch the PC and just go ecu editor for the tuning? The turbo kit comes with secondaries and controller box, should I hook them up or leave them unhooked since this is only going on a stock motor?

Riding: so with a stage one and stock motor I know I can't stay in the throttle for long but what is too long? 1-6 gear run too much? 1/2 mile run? And other don'ts I haven't seen with a turbo bike?

Thanks for any advice

So I am getting a used turbo kit next week and have some questions.
First my bike. Stock (basic bolt ons)2001 with 37,000 miles.

Motor: so my first question is, does my motor have too many miles on it for me to put a turbo on without a rebuild first?
I want to do a compression check on all cylinders first to check how healthy my motor is. What psi should my cylinders be around? Are there any other tests I should do? Talking to my buddy and he said I should port/polish the head and put an intake can on the exhaust side. Is this worth the time and money for a stage 1? I plan on putting the high volume oil pump gear on, are there any other little parts I should buy? Good idea to send my stock injectors out to be cleaned and checked?

Tuning: I will be switching from my 16 bit to the 02-07 32 bit system. Will my pc3 work? Should I ditch the PC and just go ecu editor for the tuning? The turbo kit comes with secondaries and controller box, should I hook them up or leave them unhooked since this is only going on a stock motor?

Riding: so with a stage one and stock motor I know I can't stay in the throttle for long but what is too long? 1-6 gear run too much? 1/2 mile run? And other don'ts I haven't seen with a turbo bike?

Thanks for any advice

Considering that a Gen 1 Busa turbo is capable of making way over 500 rwhp with the stock head and cams, headwork is usually only warranted in certain race or dyno queen applications - not that it isn't good - but it is rare to see on a street turbo and really not one of the first things on the list. Do not put an intake cam on the exhaust side, it will kill torque and is an NA thing, not a turbo thing. Your buddy is well-meaning, but try to take advice from experienced turbo people. At 37,000 miles I would think about replacing the cam chain . . . :whistle:

Yea thats what i thought from all my reading. Figured I would ask though since I had other questions. Thanks for the heads up on the can chain, does the motor have to be removed to replace it?

Yea thats what i thought from all my reading. Figured I would ask though since I had other questions. Thanks for the heads up on the can chain, does the motor have to be removed to replace it?

No, not completely. All motor mounts have to be removed except for the lower rear; the motor is than leaned forward in the frame so you can access that one PITA bolt on the right side of the cylinder head, you can then remove the cams, starter clutch, tensioner, etc, and get that cam chain out.

Do yourself a favor... pull the motor put in lower compression pistons and good rods. I promise you'll want to turn the boost up once you get a taste. So much easier to do it all once.

Do yourself a favor... pull the motor put in lower compression pistons and good rods. I promise you'll want to turn the boost up once you get a taste. So much easier to do it all once.

I would but won't have the funds for it this winter. I am going to upgrade my brakes before more boost. My plan is to have 300-325hp usable on the street in about 3 years.

Hopefully this picture loads

IMG_20141031_170435_543.jpg

I just swapped ECU's from 2001 to 2005...I had a PC3 USB....it worked fine with the 32bit setup. I ended up taking it off though as I want to use the map switching within ECU editor. Some say it's good for fine tuning ...sounds like a personal preference as to keeping it after an ECU swap.

I just swapped ECU's from 2001 to 2005...I had a PC3 USB....it worked fine with the 32bit setup. I ended up taking it off though as I want to use the map switching within ECU editor. Some say it's good for fine tuning ...sounds like a personal preference as to keeping it after an ECU swap.

Ok thanks for your input. I'm also wondering since I just want to hit 240-250 this time if I should even hook up the secondary injectors and box.

Ok thanks for your input. I'm also wondering since I just want to hit 240-250 this time if I should even hook up the secondary injectors and box.

Do the complete install, you won't need it for now, but you will later, you might as well get all the plumbing and wiring worked out while the engine is bare . . .

Yup complete install
secondary and non secondary systems are quite different and you would need to buy stuff like a FMU to do a non secondary system and it would not be as good

Do the complete install, you won't need it for now, but you will later, you might as well get all the plumbing and wiring worked out while the engine is bare . . .

Ok I will hook up everything but you just won't touch the secondary box when I have you tune it right?

Bro just save your $$$ and do a complete turbo build. I know your excited cause you got a turbo and you wanna put it 2gether as fast as possible and ride but it's only gonna hurt you in the long run......

Your gonna want more HP=More Boost=Bad business on stock internals

You got some of the best Turbo shops in the country on this forum!! Get with them and make a list of everything you need 2 buy in order 2 make this bike bullet proof. Pistons, rods, valves, etc.. Might take you longer to ride but @ least when you ride there won't be any concerns lingering and you definitely won't have 2 tear back in2 the motor X amount of months later cause something broke or melted :whistle:

Back