My first crash

Elvorin

Registered
So I bought my '09 like a month ago. After I picked it up from the dealer, I was heading towards TGIF to show my bike to a friend. I was heading down I-87 southbound extension. I opened up the throttle just a little bit to go at around 90ish. Then I slowed down to 45ish as the extension was supposed to end in another half a mile. As I was preparing for it, a stupid 16 years old girl pulled her SUV right in front of me from the right lane without any warning. I slammed by brake hard enough to slow down but not to slide and went as left as I could. But she probably saw me right behind her and got scared and slowed down too. Moreover she kept coming left. By the time I could stop, she hit me on my right side and I fell. My 10 minutes old spanking new Busa got all scratched up and the right peg got busted. I was soooooo mad :banghead:
anyway, long story short, insurance covered the cost (over 4k) to replace all parts. Thank god no mechanical damage. It took almost 2-3 weeks to get everything done.

Lesson learned, consider every single car driver around you to be stupid and do stupid stunts and pull over in front of you. Either keep a lot of distance or before they get a chance, pass them keeping an escape route in mind.

i know the feeling i had an old lady try and cut me off and almost ran me off the road . i mean there was probably an inch between us before i twist the throttle and got the hell away from her.

glad you are ok..

be the rabbit haha always think the worst will happen and you will be prepared for it..
:beerchug:

Glad you are ok.

Did come up ok her to quick? I know you you slowed to 45 but you can't be to mad if you were doing 90 in a ??mph zone.

I agree always keep an exit open.
Posted via Mobile Device

Glad your ok... I do this game all the time - commuting into Waslhington, DC - It's really like "reading people's minds" professionally. You start to know what cages are going to do before they do it...

ouch thats awful!. brand new too.
glad you were not hurt. and lessoned learned. never ever let anyone drive next to you. either let them go and get out of the way, or keep every dummy behind you.
down shift, bang the limiter and go.:laugh:
sorry about your bike.

When I ride I try to stay alert of all vehicles around, I try to always stay of their blind sides and try to stay ahead of them of far behind, and like you said always asume they will do something stupid move. Sorry to hear about your bike but Im glad that you are ok.

So I bought my '09 like a month ago. After I picked it up from the dealer, I was heading towards TGIF to show my bike to a friend. I was heading down I-87 southbound extension. I opened up the throttle just a little bit to go at around 90ish. Then I slowed down to 45ish as the extension was supposed to end in another half a mile. As I was preparing for it, a stupid 16 years old girl pulled her SUV right in front of me from the right lane without any warning. I slammed by brake hard enough to slow down but not to slide and went as left as I could. But she probably saw me right behind her and got scared and slowed down too. Moreover she kept coming left. By the time I could stop, she hit me on my right side and I fell. My 10 minutes old spanking new Busa got all scratched up and the right peg got busted. I was soooooo mad :banghead:
anyway, long story short, insurance covered the cost (over 4k) to replace all parts. Thank god no mechanical damage. It took almost 2-3 weeks to get everything done.

Lesson learned, consider every single car driver around you to be stupid and do stupid stunts and pull over in front of you. Either keep a lot of distance or before they get a chance, pass them keeping an escape route in mind.

You didn't say a thing about how YOU fared. I'm dreading my first spill at speed.

Dropped the Busa in the garage when it was 5 days old. Would have cost $1800 to replace everything that was scuffed/scratched. The heck with it. A new footpeg and clutch lever and I called it, "good."

And yes, cager drivers are ALL IDIOTS. I have one altercation or another with them almost daily, usually because they want to go 75 in a 55mph zone and don't clear the lane completely as the pass me. A-holes. I have a mind to start carrying wrenches, bolts, nuts, or any other object that will "fall out of my pocket" and cause sheet metal damage to vehicles of folks who follow too closely.

Mike

Last edited:
How did you fair through all this?

Agreed with always keeping an exit option and either being in front of them or good distance behind people... Never know with anyone....

congrats on getting everything fixed and hopefully you're the same as you were before?? that's what matters. you won't care about the bike 5 years from now. and seems like you got it about other people. drive like you're invisible and noone can see you. i sometimes get in the mode of thinking that everyone is pissed at me and *wants* to hurt me. makes me keep a space cushion/exit.

i had an older man ( 60's id say ) stop in front of me. didn't injure bike to much. twisted fork busted headlight and fender.

90...? On a brand new bike with brand new (slick) tires? Kind of leaves not too many options if you need to maneuver.

Idiot cagers all over the place where I live...

sorry, didnt reply to any of you earlier. I moved to WA from NY recently and work has been keeping me very very busy. I did ride the bike 2-3 times after moving here. As you know, WA doesnt have the nicest weather for bikers (rains 9 months out of 12 :( ).

Anyway, to let you all know, I didnt have much injury. My right knee got scratched up. A day later my back and legs were hurting, but eventually it went away. So nothing serious or major.

When I had my accident I wasnt even thinking about damage to myself, all I was thinking my bike shouldnt get damaged (alas couldnt avoid it). Only time I thought about myself is when she hit me on right and I was falling towards the car, I thought 'okay, I'm going under the tire'. :p but lucky me, we both came to a stop just then. So no run over. :)

About people following, OMG, I so wanna throw nuts and bolts at them while driving. The other day seeing a car following too close, I tapped my brake softly few times, so that he slows down and makes some room. But he didnt. So I gave him the finger before turning to my apartment area. He started yelling at me. glad i had my helmet on, so cudnt understand a thing he said. otherwise i mightve chased him and gave him more than the finger. :p stupid cagers.

Last edited:
Back