My biggest day on the old Busa yet!

jphilipson

Registered
Hey folks, just needed to do some braggin', so bear with me :moon:

A few weekends ago, I took part in the End of Days rally, put on by one of our own evil Busa riding members here, and his sick and twisted henchmen. The event was a 32 hour rally that started and finished in Ely NV - with a minimum finishing mileage of 1649 miles. I left for the event with two simple goals - to break 2000 miles in under 32 hours and have fun. I managed to meet both my goals, and take a 2nd place finish on the old Busa :thumbsup:. Yeah, I'm was pretty stoked, and still recovering from some major head swelling :laugh:.

Day one of the rally was odometer check and shooting/knife throwing events. You basically got to shoot zombie targets and throw knives to earn "coins" that you could trade in for miles at the end of the event. I did surprisingly well given the number of times I've shot guns in the last ten years, but as it turned out, I didn't need the coins anyway. After the odo check ride and shooting, rally packs were handed out with bonuses scattered all over the western US. The bonuses were all tied in to the End of Days in one way or another, ranging from volcanic sites, to massacre sites. I quickly found a route that took me to the farthest bonus out, to meet my personal mileage goal. That route in fact, also turned out to have to have a very high point value, so I was quite pleased with it. After the banquet Friday night, some amplifying info was provided, that sweetened the route I chose even more. Each bonus was in one of 7 or so threads, and and you could pick one thread that you could use to multiply points in that thread at the end. My largest bonus was Badlands NP, worth big points, and I had already chosen a number of others along the way out an back in the same thread, so I was stoked and ready to go.

Unfortunately my bike started losing power on the way out to event, which at first I thought was bad gas, but later turned out to be my fuel filter. So, I ran the whole event down to about 50-60% power :(. My original route was a big loop from Ely up to Craters of the Moon NHS and EBR1 site in Idaho, then West Yellowstone entrance, out to the bighorn massacre monument and then Badlands NP. On the return I needed to grab Rock Springs WY, then the Enola Gay hanger in Wendover, and if time permitting run out and grab the Lunar craters on HWY 6 in NV, and a few small bonuses back in Ely. Unfortunately with my performance issues, and a 45 or so minute stop in Casper WY, I did not have a enough time to grab the Lunar craters, but still managed a pretty awesome ride - which can be seen below.

eodza.JPG

I rolled in on Sunday after 30 and a half hours riding with 2125 miles on the clock, and having gotten to visit awesome places in 6 different states. All in all, it was an awesome event and a weekend I (or my a$$) won't soon forget. It was made even better finding out that I managed to pull off an awesome finish as well, even riding a severely castrated Hayabusa.

I didn't get a ton of pics - but here's a few below.

You might know this guy. He, along with his evil henchmen put this on.

IMG_20120720_093821.jpg

And he rode one of these :whistle:

IMG_20120720_085031.jpg

And here's mine:

IMG_20120720_085011.jpg

And here's mine 2125 miles later: (picture courtesy of Tobie Stevens)

20120721-IMG9415-L.jpg

Mannnn that's a lot of riding.! From all the threads I've seen here I think that's WARCHILD?? Anyways..... Thanks for sharing!!! :-)

sounds like a great time!! glad the bike held together and you made it back :beerchug:

Thanks folks :thumbsup:

At 60% power, I assume no speeding tickets, right? :laugh: Looks like a blast to ride. Congrats! :thumbsup:

No tickets - heck, I could barely maintain hwy speeds on the fast sections towards the end. That's why I stopped in Casper, to pull my air filter and check that and the intakes. Of course it was the fuel filter, wasn't about the try and pull that and clean it in a gas station parking lot :laugh:

Back