Motorcycle Safety Topic of the Week

ridercoach

Post ***** King & Local Safety Guru
Donating Member
Registered
All right guys. I did my fare share of post whoring now its time to me to contribute the best way I know how (Revlis helped bring me to light on this, thank you). That is by sharing my knowledge of Motorcycle Safety. Each week I will post a new topic on Motorcycle Safety. Feel free to chime in, but try not to get off the topic at hand, or just read and hopefully take to heart some advice given here.

This weeks discussion is about what it means to be a safe responsible rider (good motorcyclist).

What is the definition of a good motorcyclist?

One that is aware of the risk associated with motorcycling and on that accepts that risk. Then you must learn to manage the variety of factors that happen while riding.

One that thinks about the consequences of there riding behavior in traffic.
For example, if I ride to fast into this curve what can happen to me? If I ride in the blind spot of this car what might happen? If I see the yellow light but still try to make it, what the worse that can happen?
The goal of every ride is to make it home safe.

Think about the consequences and it will make you a better rider.
This also relates to accepting personal responsibility for the results of your decisions and actions, as well as developing good skills and judgment.

Risk, wouldn't it be nice to reduce it. So a good motorcyclist would have the desire and motivation to reduce risk while riding. It takes superior riding skill; and of course a positive mental attitude helps.

Most good riders have a strategy, a way of thinking, and planning to avoid trouble.

One way of thinking is to have a space cushion or margin of error for your personal safety. The extra time and space needed given your skill level. (thats time and space all around you not just in front of you)

They also us a strategy, We use SEE in the MSF Course. Search Evaluate Execute (SEE).

Search for potential hazards (I'm sure you all can come up with a few)
Evaluate the situation, how are you going to handle it (speed up, slow down, wait for traffic to do its thing)
Execute, put it into motion

Simple rule for Search part:
2 Second following distance (this is min. for ideal conditions, Is it ever Ideal?)
4 Second Immediate path
12 Second Anticipated path

You should never follow closer than 2 seconds
You should be able to respond to anything within 4 seconds from you
You should be searching 12 seconds ahead at all times

Always scanning aggressively.

So there are some things to think about this week. If you have any questions or comments please post away.

Great topic idea! Looking forward to the weekly contributions. thanks!
biggrin.gif

Thanks Ridercoach, MSF corner courtesy of rider coach. Lot of wealthy information there in. Thanks again. Oh yeah you're still PW king in my book.

Great idea Rider!

Now how bout some tips on safe riding at a buck fifety!
biggrin.gif
wink.gif
laugh.gif

<!--EDIT|Mikey D
Reason for Edit: "cause spelling ain't my forte`"|1084468667 -->

Great idea Rider!

Now how bout some tips on safe riding at a buck fifety!
biggrin.gif
wink.gif
laugh.gif
Ill keep this going every week. Start it on Mondays, this way it will give you all somthing to think about over the week.
biggrin.gif

Mikey, Mikey, Mikey...There is always one in the class.... A buck fifty huh...
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

That will be in next weeks topic of safety..
biggrin.gif

biggrin.gif

laugh.gif

laugh.gif

biggrin.gif

Always look ahead 12 seconds is about 8 cars ( I would guess) in front of you. Key is searching out potential problems. Thanks fr the post. Great cotribution.

Thanks Coach... Good stuff...

One point you addressed is looking far enough ahead... This is something that has proved it's worth hundreds of times... It is also something we can practice while driving the cage. Instead of fiddling with the radio, put yourself mentally on your bike and practice your visual skills, you cannot avoid something if you cannot see it or see it too late.

Thanks again Coach...
biggrin.gif

Excellent Idea Revlis. Practice in your cage. It does work on two wheels as well as 4. Im going to use that in my class tonight.
biggrin.gif

looking down the road is soooo important...

When I am traveling at very high speeds, I will look as far as I can see in front me to both sides of the road... looking for those cagers and their grandma trying to pull out in front of you.

Keep in mind that the most common motorcycle accident is exactly that....T-Bone

All right guys. I did my fare share of post whoring now its time to me to contribute the best way I know how (Revlis helped bring me to light on this, thank you). That is by sharing my knowledge of Motorcycle Safety. Each week I will post a new topic on Motorcycle Safety. Feel free to chime in, but try not to get off the topic at hand, or just read and hopefully take to heart some advice given here.

This weeks discussion is about what it means to be a safe responsible rider (good motorcyclist).

What is the definition of a good motorcyclist?

One that is aware of the risk associated with motorcycling and on that accepts that risk. Then you must learn to manage the variety of factors that happen while riding.

One that thinks about the consequences of there riding behavior in traffic.
For example, if I ride to fast into this curve what can happen to me? If I ride in the blind spot of this car what might happen? If I see the yellow light but still try to make it, what the worse that can happen?
The goal of every ride is to make it home safe.

Think about the consequences and it will make you a better rider.
This also relates to accepting personal responsibility for the results of your decisions and actions, as well as developing good skills and judgment.

Risk, wouldn't it be nice to reduce it. So a good motorcyclist would have the desire and motivation to reduce risk while riding. It takes superior riding skill; and of course a positive mental attitude helps.

Most good riders have a strategy, a way of thinking, and planning to avoid trouble.

One way of thinking is to have a space cushion or margin of error for your personal safety. The extra time and space needed given your skill level. (thats time and space all around you not just in front of you)

They also us a strategy, We use SEE in the MSF Course. Search Evaluate Execute (SEE).

Search for potential hazards (I'm sure you all can come up with a few)
Evaluate the situation, how are you going to handle it (speed up, slow down, wait for traffic to do its thing)
Execute, put it into motion

Simple rule for Search part:
2 Second following distance (this is min. for ideal conditions, Is it ever Ideal?)
4 Second Immediate path
12 Second Anticipated path

You should never follow closer than 2 seconds
You should be able to respond to anything within 4 seconds from you
You should be searching 12 seconds ahead at all times

Always scanning aggressively.

So there are some things to think about this week. If you have any questions or comments please post away.
Hell ya, you be da post whore with an average of 28 posts a day and I haven't even seen you post once. (wonder what your numbers were back when you were posting consistently...)

I want to be like RiderCoach...
smile.gif
Not giving you a hard time man, just noticed that you post a lot.

I just noticed you joined Feb. 2004 though?
Cloud

<!--EDIT|Cloud9
Reason for Edit: None given...|1084477650 -->

Hence my title cloud "Post Whore King"
biggrin.gif

I did hit 30+ posts per day..

<!--EDIT|ridercoach
Reason for Edit: None given...|1084479339 -->

I find the constant scanning hardest when riding the familiar routes. Its so easy to slip into auto pilot mode when traveling
to work and thats when you miss the warning signs of impending cage stupidity

I've had more near misses, riding the same old route to work than I do when I'm getting loose on the
twisties.

I've left the scratches on the side of my bike as a constant reminder to "PAY ATTENTION" all the time.

Thanks Coach, Now there is a whole fresh forum for everyone to defile...

If anyone knows of some other good posts regarding riding skills, send me links will ya? So I can motor them over to the new forum...

Rev

bump.gif
For the New Folks... READ THE WHOLE SET, Then ask some questions...
smile.gif

Big Thanks and Credit to Rider Coach... He put a lot of effort into these...

Think about riding while riding... Not that Freaks Nappy assed booty... KEEP YOUR HEAD IN THE RIDE!

Hey coach!!!!
Any tips on how to conduct a proper burnout!!!!!
my tires are new and i want to smeeeeelllll the rubber!!!

Still a Damn good thread. Wish The Coach was still around...

Back