Motorcycle Safety Topic of the Week

I bought my Busa while stationed overseas in Japan, But before I even picked out the bike that i purchased I had already been online and got my mesh jacket and pant's with pads, and a leather jacket, had to wait till I was deployed to Korea to get the Pant's made kinda hard to buy off the shelf @6'6 3/4".

HJC, SHOEI helmet's are a must, I don't ride anywhere without my gear.

Not enven down the drive way to check the mail box.
bowdown.gif

Thanks for the confirmation that gear is everything aside from a well maintained bike. I gear-up head to toe. I was wondering what folks thought about the Scorpion Helmet, I purchased one recently, it is DOT approved, cost about 200 and some change. I have been known to commute in my fieldshare one peice suit, it is easy to climb in and out of and I can wear my monkey suit under it, good ventalation also, and is comparativley affordable. Brighter is better but black still looks very cool!

I grew up when there was no helmet law in Washington State. One time my girlfriend and I went out and her mother made me let her use the helmet. I didn't mind. When we got down the street my girlfriend made me pull over and let her take off the helmet. Needless to say we got into an accident that screwed up her face, all because she didn't want to mess up her hair. Since that time I have usually ridden with a helmet although when I lived in vegas I was known to ride across the border into AZ and take it off. I ride my cruiser with just a brain bucket that isn't even rated but has a fake sticker on the back. I'm totally against being forced to wear a helmet. On my Busa it's a whole different story. I travel at high rates of speed (ahem) and woudln't be caught dead without a helmet, no pun intended. I got into a serious accident when I was younger and I'm sure that helmet, that got wasted, saved my face and head. I did however, lose a hand. It's been re-attached and I have almost full use out of it. I wasn't wearing any protective gear that day except my helmet. I doubt that a pair of gloves would have saved my hand. Anyways, I have two full leather suits, boots, gloves and helmets. The extra set of leathers is a different color and sure comes in handy when you're convincing a Judge that it wasn't you flying by that cop that you failed to pull over for!    
super.gif

Man it's funny. Back in the day when I was younger I would ride in shorts and a t shirt. Fell a few times but got lucky. (stupid).
Today I always ride geared up from head to toe. Got older and got smarter.
Man was I dumb. I can't stand when I see riders with just a helmet and gloves.
Good write up. Keep up the good work.

I CAN'T AGREE MORE HAVE BUSA AND HARLEY THIS HAPPENED TO ME 1991 ON A GSXR1100 BACKROADS ALABAMA GOING TO WORK DAGGUM COW WAS OUT OF FENCE I QUESS HE HEARD ME COMING JUMPED DITCH I HIT HIM AT AROUND 60 MPH LEFT ME FLYING THROUGH THE AIR HAD HELMET NO GLOVES WELL TAR AND GRAVEL SUCKS LESSON I'LL NEVER FORGET.THE HELMET LOOKED LIKE I PUT A GRINDER ON IT BUT I AM STILL RIDIN AND NOW I KEEP GLOVES AND HELMET ON AT ALL TIMES HELPED A GUY DRUNK HARLEY IN TEXAS AFTER HE HIT A QUARDRAIL HIT SO HRD IT KNCKED HIS BOOT OFF IT WAS A LACE UP BONE THROUGH HIS PANTS AND HE THOUGHT HE COULD RIDE OFF. LESSON LEARNED

I wear the best of the best, because I'm worth it.
Arai Quantum II Helmet
Vanson Mark 2 Jacket
Vanson Tchnical Sport rider pants
Icon TRX gloves
Sidi Strada EVO boots
foam Ear plugs
------------------------------------------------
Total cost: $2000.00
total value of my skin $priceless

Safety comme first...always...ignorance might not be a bless...this time!
bowdown.gif

Thanks for the postings ridercoach.

It is going to be interesting to see what the future will bring in the form of new jackets ,boots, pants, gloves and helmets. I have heard there will be newer, stronger materials and beter impact protection on areas of the body that are not protected such as the outside of the thigh, tail bone area and chest cavity. Most gloves I have seen don't have enough protection for the thumb. The new articulating gloves are a great idea though

I agree. I always wear a helmet, gloves and good jacket, most of the time a vented leather from Z-Custom, but I sent it back for repair last week, an inner pad came off. Heck, I had it for 12 years now. My other jacket is a Firstgear Kilimanjaro Jacket. I have boots, but don't wear them much. My helmet is a Shoei,  
dunno.gif
but the only one problem I have with that is I can't see the traffic signals without tilting the helmet up, or straining my neck when on the bike (and my hands resting on the bars). Is there another helmet that has a little more "eye" room above?
Tony

2007 red Busa, less than 500 miles.

DSCN3658.JPG

Back