Motorcycle Safety Topic of the Week

I got into an accident back in september and didnt have no gear on and now im looking into getting a busa if i can afford the insuriance, but also looking into getting gear now. Its no fun not having a bike and being scared up from rash and a hole still healing up in my knee. I guess i learned the hard way about gear but i did learn.

Some people think I'm just being an ass.  All proper safety gear, all of the time.  When in the car, no seatbelts = no ride.  On the bike, no gear = no ride. No excuses.  Hitting your face on the dash of a car in a 40MPH crash is about the same as riding a motorcycle into a telephone pole at 40MPH, without a helmet.  Either one can kill you (so don't try this at home
cool.gif
).

I have walked away from all of the wrecks I've been in (3 car, and 1 motorcycle) because of using the proper gear.

It's good to see that there are many others out there that agree that safety gear is very important.

I have to admit that I sometimes jump on my bike with t shirt and shorts if I am just going to the post office. Stupid, I know. If I am going to ride any further than that, I have on my full gear (but just jeans)

There was a squid in town that started on a 250ex Kaw, and he always had at least his helmet on. I was impressed. Most 16 year olds haven't figured out they aren't indestructible. He moved up to a Smokin' Joes replica that lasted about a month before he T-boned someone and actually bent the fram on the car:O He replaced that with a new Honda 600rr. Well, he looped that one at around 80 while pulling a wheelie. GEAR: Helmet, jeans, tennis shoes, t-shirt and mechanix gloves.

He was treated in a burn ward like he had third degree burns.

I saw him about two to three weeks later and he had scabs on the entire back of his calves, a ton on his shoulders, his forearms and his hands.

His dad sold the bike and told me that if he wants another, he buys his own.

Oh, yeah, two weeks after his big wreck he went screaming by my house on his buddies zx6. No helmet, no jacket, SHORTS and tennies!!!!!! A week after that he dumped it trying to do a rolling burnout in front of the high school and went to jail:laugh:

Great stuff guys. I just bought my new Busa 2 weeks ago and it's my first bike ever. I have to say you had me scared after reading all the posts about "Busa as my first bike". I have only been out a few times thus far and while the jitters are fading away I still have alot of respect for the bike. One thing about gear, always wear it. as I've mentioned in other posts I raced mtn. bikes and road bicycles for 8 years. I have seen people die from impact head trauma from hitting a tree or rock at 7-11 mph. the head pops like melon very easy. You won't catch me on a bicyle without the proper gear let alone a beasty Busa. Also, I saw the effects of my dad hitting a flock of ship as he crested a hill at about 60 mph at 6:00 am. they got out thru a hole in the fence. he landed on his face and right shoulder and then skidded on every other body part for about 100 feet. His lid had just a sheild and was not full faced, so now he wears a beard to hide the scars on his chin and he went from being very active in sport with me as a kid growing up to barely being abel to walk the lngth of the mall. Both knees replaced over a 20 yr period, now he's 56 and can't be very active without the pain. So if you don't protect yourself for you do it for someone else. in the God forbidden event you crash at least be around to tell your own story instead of a buddy writing about you. Godspeed.

It's bad enough when you see riders not wearing protection, but when they have their girlfriend on the back in shorts or a miniskirt and no helmet it really makes me cringe.

Thanks for the postings ridercoach.

I ride with this one moron that wears sweat pants and a tank top, no gloves, tennis shoes and a helmet that's all...That is when he is riding to the gym but then he rides all day like that....I myself could never do that....one I'm not crazy and two my wife would friggin kill me...

I usually go out with Helmet, Leather jacket and gloves (with armour), jeans and boots...I am going to be looking into some heavy duty riding jeans for the next season because I can't see myself wearing leather pants....I like the Joe Rocket and Icon jeans....

I can help with all of your safety gear needs here in Central Florida. I work for Cycle Gear and the store in Orlando is 8700 square feet of gear for all types of riding.

Gear up and ride safe!!

Cyclegear.com

Definetly go see marc at Cycle Gear. Mans got some good stuff for a good price. Ive been to his store, tons of goodies. I can go broke in there
biggrin.gif

Wear your gear you never know when you are REALLY going to need it! I had an accident in 8/03 but my gear saved me, the bike was a total but I walked away without a scratch. Buy the best you can afford and wear it !

I'm glad that I had on my gear when I went down. I won't ride without it.

This is by far THE MOST IMPORTANT TOPIC!! Always wear your gear guys...It saved my life this past week. My wife and I got involved in an accident where this lady didn't yield right of way to us by pulling a U TURN in the middle of a busy roadway. The accident happened so fast that I had no time to react b/c she did this right when we rode past her (she was parked on the side of the road and then made her move). My wife and I were ejected from my Busa and hit the pavement 30 feet later. We both had leather jackets, helmets with DOT/SNELL ratings, denims pants and riding boots. By all accounts we should be paralyzed or dead but we only suffered injuries that are healable. My wife has only a small hairline fracture on her elbow and little pain to her right side of her body while I have the minor inconvienence of a swollen scrotum (the size of an orange) and some low back pain. We had no lacerations and no broken bones. It could've ended up better but for SURE SHOULD'VE BEEN WORSE IF NOT FOR THE GEAR!!! Wear it!!! You never know if you'll have an encounter with a 4 wheel beast...

GOD BLESS YOU ALL AND PLEASE BE SAFE ON THE SADDLE...

BTW-My Busa didn't make it but I should be receiving a settlement from the lady's insurance as the Police Dept found her the cause of the accident and at fault. Hopefully, I'll be saddled up on a new Busa in the coming months. For now, we will only be thinking of recovery.

Glad you're okay .
thanks frisbee. The recovery process has been fast (only a week and a half since my accident)and I'm starting to walk without my crutches. I've started taking some antibotics b/c my swollen scrotum and groin are due to a cellulitis abscess from a hard contusion. I haven't been able to see my busa yet but I thank God (and my gear)that I'm able to write to you guys. I'll keep everyone posted on the status of my health.

helmets are a must. I never thought I would say that but after seeing mine I am very happy I had it on.
wow.gif

helmet2.JPG

JWCFBD:

I know you had a hard wreck too. How's your recovery? I hope all is well with you. Have you decided what you're going to do as far as riding and your Busa? My attorney called me today and said the adjuster is calling mine a total loss. But mine was a non-fault accident. I know how you feel b/c m/c accidents suck!! But we just gotta be grateful that we can even write and complain about the pain. Other motorcyclists aren't as lucky as you, me and my wife were. Good luck to you and I wish you a speedy recovery...

Ryan

Well this topic has heavily influenced me... Encouraging, or rather forcing all my buddies to put on some riding gear. I myself bought some new riding gear for the new busa that im getting....

- Shoei X-11 Helmet
- Firstgear Jacket with padding at all the right places
wink.gif

- Firstgear Gloves
- Pair of Diadora Vortex Boots

I wanted to buy myself a pair of leather pull over pants, but not getting
any for my size
sad.gif
Anyone of you know any online sites that sell riding
pants for fat a$$es like me

JWCFBD:

I know you had a hard wreck too. How's your recovery? I hope all is well with you. Have you decided what you're going to do as far as riding and your Busa? My attorney called me today and said the adjuster is calling mine a total loss. But mine was a non-fault accident. I know how you feel b/c m/c accidents suck!! But we just gotta be grateful that we can even write and complain about the pain. Other motorcyclists aren't as lucky as you, me and my wife were. Good luck to you and I wish you a speedy recovery...

Ryan
Recovery is going pretty good. I just got the ok to start putting weight on my broken leg and loose the crutches as soon a posible. I am grateful that all I got was a broken leg. Wrecking in the middle of a 6 lane highway and NOT getting run over in the process is truly lucky. I thought about trying to get the bike back from the insurance co. but there really isn't anything left that was undamaged so it's gone. I still want to ride but I'm not sure what is going to happen. I do know it's not going to happen any time soon. Mom won't let me buy a new bike.
down.gif
34 years old and I'm stuck listening to Mom.
bowdown.gif
She's got me. I'm trying to sell my house and plan on moving back in with my parents for a little while to save up some money. So it's a no go on another bike to I leave the state and can hide it from them.
laugh.gif
Maybe one of these days I'll get another one. For now I'm done.
sad.gif

I hope you and your wife are doing good.

Back