More things about my bike I notice...

rashad

Registered
Well, for those of you with popcorn in your hands, watching my TRE/ front rotor debacle...

Here is something else I am wrestling with after buying a used bike..:lol:

Its something Ive only noticed at high speeds and occasionally...

Tonight went riding with an r6 and a 650r ninja..and I stayed in back during most of the in town stuff..but when we got on the highway I opened her up a bit and showed them whos boss...

Well, Ive noticed a few times at high speed, and tonight really scared me, There is some "head shake."

Now, I dunno if that is the front end getting light...or what. Its not like tank-slapper material..just a little shaking... Especially during shifts.

is this normal?

Also, I did a search on this and read something about a steering damper. At the risk of sounding like the newb I am..do I have a factory damper? I figured since It didnt look like the TL1000R on the triple, that I didnt have one..???

Im lost.

I hope I can figure out what all was done to this thing.. I will try to get the bike back to stock settings.. I wonder if the forks are adjusted unevenly?

Thoughts?

You may also be torquing the bars if you are mainly seeing this during shifts. Keep a firm but light grip on them.

i have experienced what you are talking about since changing my gearing. stock gen one gearing is 17front 40 rear and i went 17 front and 43rear. its not that big of a deal to me. but make sure you are going straight ahead when you shift. even a little lean while shifting can cause problems. i know someone else will chime in with more knowlede that can probably help us both. i want a ohlins damper but i can afford it right now.
good luck

You have to access the oem damper from underneath the nose cone. Lay on your back and look up above the fender, you will see it. You said you have new tires, they still may not be balanced and causing the head shake. You can replace the oil in the oem damper with a heavier weight, and that may help.

I replaced mine with 90/140 gear oil and LOVE the feel. definitely rock solid on the front and no head shake for me!

awesome thanks guys! I think the tires are ok because there is NO vibration at all..just that small headshake during shifts etc.. and I believe the back sprocket is bigger but I am going to count the teeth tomorrow. I read a bit on the damper mod..is that where you submerge it in oil and fill it that way? I will check to make sure its there tomorrow lol.... ya never know.

Ok im 185 lbs.. the front forks were almost all the way hard.. I turned them back a few clicks, making sure they are even.. I will mess with the rear when I can.

The steering damper, on the left side, moved when I touched it.. like swiveled a bit.. is this normal? My friend said it is kinda mounted on a pivot so it should move a little.. Im wondering If I need the gear oil mod..

Back