Monostrut question

davidl9953

Registered
Ok if you have seen my recent post i just installed my o.s.d 330 kit, and my main goal is to get the tail section to sit right above the tire to give it a smooth level look, b/c it is lowered.... So i was thinking about getting the dapincci setup but the deal is when i ride i would like the tail to be about an inch above the wheel ( which means no suspension play ), and my chick rides with me to. So i'm thinking to get that level i'm looking for i would have to have the airride super stiff to prevent it from rubbing, which seems like it would ride just like a monostrut....any suggestions ??? And one day i met a guy who had a setup that looked just like a air ride cylinder but it wasnt, it had no play in it either, not sure what it was ????

Struts are very bad ride, and very hard on the swing arm since there is no suspension play. There is a lot of leverage there with the mechanics of the lonnger arm and no play. That being said, if you do it, there really isn't much to it. just replace the shock with something that doesn't compress.

Personally, I wouldn't do it on ridden bike. I like you, like the look, but in this case, I don't think there really is an alternative.

Eventually BigRod330 will chime in here. His is setup with air ride, and when he lets ALL the air out, it sits like you're wanting. Perhaps you should consider that route. This way you can cruise the strip low and slow, and when you need to ride out for real you just air it up. Make sense? That's the best of both worlds.

I have NOT seen your OSD 330 install thread yet???
As for running a solid strutt..NO>>>NOOOO>>>NOOOO>>>NNNNOOOOO, dont do it. Having no suspension very very bad. ITs very hard on the bike and your back. THe first big bump in the road riding 2up...and you will either bounce your girl OFF the back or SNAP the Tail seciton sub-frame down ( seen it happen)..means she goes by-by anyhow!!!!!!!

If for show or drag ONLY on the struts.
Also for running a FAT you Do not want to ride with the tail DOWN low. BELEIVE ME..its a *****. First turn and you will want to steemroll thu it. I KNOW....1st night with the 330 and my air ride leaked down and I was like holly crap...powering straight not good.
With my air ride ( dapincci dual chamber )...Im aired up to ride = tail is higher than stock and helps with the cut in on curves:laugh:..also that Im lowerd 2 inch in front also helps that with front raking stance.

To cruise thru a lot or tooling thu town...I air up the comfort side of the chamber = pulling down the hight of the bike and making it stiffer. Gives me the LOW look that your after. ITs just not good to ride like that all the time when the turns come up!!!!!!
I have my Dapincci set so that with full air and stiffend down, or ZERO air..the tail is 1/4 off the tire....this saves everything if an air leak or oops on anything from busting up stuff.

I could go on and on with this....ask away and I will help with what ever I can:thumbsup:
And I will look for you OSD 330 thread..since Iv just converted my crapshaft to an OSD.

For the solid strut................

nono.gif

:banghead: :banghead: :banghead: ..........i ordered the monostrut early this morning b4 reading the responses to the post !! well i guess i'll have to eat the cost of that !!! i guess i am s.o.l. if i want to ride with the tail an inch above the tire at ALL times ....

:banghead: :banghead: :banghead: ..........i ordered the monostrut early this morning b4 reading the responses to the post !! well i guess i'll have to eat the cost of that !!! i guess i am s.o.l. if i want to ride with the tail an inch above the tire at ALL times ....

Thats what I wanted at first...but peep only realy see it when Im parked at a show. OTher wise the tail is up...and Im just a gettin it done:laugh:

Seriouse with the strut...I know a guy ( 300 pounder ) that had his busa stretched 18 over and a 300 on it strutted. The sub-frame and tail section cracked. You may not be a big guy??? but with added weight of a passenger...well you know. And the struts tend to bounce...skip the wheel around in turns. Please dont put it on...but its your ride.

well that is super long and he is more than double my size !! but i weigh like 135 and my chick weighs about 115, and mine is about 5'' over... but i am highly considering not putting it on, even though i wasted 130 bucks.....man this sucks... my personal look that i want seems to be almost impossible...

well that is super long and he is more than double my size !! but i weigh like 135 and my chick weighs about 115, and mine is about 5'' over... but i am highly considering not putting it on, even though i wasted 130 bucks.....man this sucks... my personal look that i want seems to be almost impossible...

Since you have it and spent the $$$ for it, might aswell try it out then. SOLO riding only at first! You will notice the BIG diff in handling the 330 with the tail down low. Good luck, but becareful.

Back