Michelin Pilot Road 4 or Pilot Power 3?

The Michelin PR 3's and 4's are sport touring tires, I would not do track days with them even though you can be pretty aggressive with them on the street. Go with a sport tire for that. For the street, where you live with the dry climate, I would go with the PR 2's and save a good amount of money. The 3's and 4's are probably the best wet tire you can get which you don't need.

I'm not a Bridgestone fan but I normally used their tires in the past of few years, most of S20 on the bike, last month is the first time to put Road 4GT on my busa, don't know how many miles can go for yet, but kind of surprise the grip even feel better then the tires I was used. ???

This is the way I'm riding from time to time.

image.jpg

I had run Pilot Road 2's and 3's for the last few years and had no complaints about them.
Due to no longer having to do big motorway miles to work and back every day I switched to a pair of Pilot Power 3's. The bike was transformed, I absolutely love them. So much more grip and feedback getting on the gas hard through the twisty stuff. To me the Power 3's perform better in every way except they obviously won't last as long, but that was the general expectation.

So much though depends on riding styles and environment as well as personal perception and feel.
But I give the Pilot Power 3's a massive thumbs up.

I have used the PR2s and now getting ready to put a set of PR 4 GTs on. For the level of street riding we do the PR2s always worked good. I'm looking forward to the PR 4 GTs though :)

Running PR4's now on my 3 bikes...Busa and 2 Aprilia Tuono's incl the V4....unless i drop the Traction control on the V4 to a really low setting and then go silly exiting corners i can't get them to shift enough to trigger the TC.
They are showing wear on it though as I make use of the TC when i'm in the mood and the tyres are getting hammered as such.
Roughly 2500miles and the rear is down to 4mm...took a while to get a balanced suspension setting on all the bikes that suited the tyres flexing and the 1st 500 miles can result in the odd wiggle at high lean.
Rain grip is just as good as tyres from 10 years ago in the dry...downside is that any dirt on the road is now on the bike.
Front tyre can feel a bit lazy at first but can be trusted to make the turn.
They are great from cold and aren't upset that much by small stones on the road.
Overall the best allround tyre i've every used.....not the best tyre for fun runs though...for me thats still the old Pilot Pure or Metz Racetec

Wore out the first set of Pilot Road 4s on the Busa recently. Done almost 8000 km or around 5000 miles. Replaced with standard set of PR4s, only this time went for the 190/55 rear instead of the 50 profile. Only done a few hundred miles so far, but yeah the 55 is much nicer experience, just seems to lean in smoother, whereas before it felt a bit reluctant to crank into a corner.

Wore out the first set of Pilot Road 4s on the Busa recently. Done almost 8000 km or around 5000 miles. Replaced with standard set of PR4s, only this time went for the 190/55 rear instead of the 50 profile. Only done a few hundred miles so far, but yeah the 55 is much nicer experience, just seems to lean in smoother, whereas before it felt a bit reluctant to crank into a corner.

I hear you on the turn in of the 55 profile. It makes the busa handle closer to my older sport bikes. It changes the rake slightly, so turning in is faster. I did go with the pilot road 4 gt tires. So far so good.

Unrelated...It rained all week for the 2015 Superbowl...I was there total bummer!! I'm looking for tires to replace my stock one too. Thanks

I've tried one PR3 and one 4 and for the price and negligible extra mileage,? the cost difference as compared to the PR2 isn't worth it to me. I just installed another 2 on the rear. Shopped around and Bike Bandit had one for $165 delivered in two days. Revzilla and MC Superstore were just a few bucks higher. I believe Michelin's own advertising touts the 3 and 4 as more of a wet weather touring tire. I've never felt slippery with the 2s and I get 8,000 miles out of a rear. I may try the 55 next time just to see if I like it more.

FYI for all running The GT it is not recommend by Michelin . GT is for real heavy bikes C14 / FJR / K1600 / ST1300
We like to think the busa is heavy but its not compared to a Sport tour that tips in @ 656 with no rider or gear yet . ST1300 closer to 700
I see most Hayabusas are piped and are 560 pounds usually after that mod .

Back