Macintosh Sheelie Bars?

I had an old gs with an air controlled cluch and one button launch. SUPER easy to launch. I know RCC makes a boost compensated clutch. What are your thoughts on that? The current clutch is stock with all heavy springs. No slip at all.

Not sure how a lock up will do on the street.

I want to be able to cruise it.

IMG_91184.jpg

I can swap a strut easy. Swingarm is tougher. Plenty of stock bikes use bars up here. My bikes is turbo'd and at roughly 400hp, 63-64" (never measured). My 9.3 was on a stock shock, maybe 1" lowered, no strap, hand clutch, ams 1000. Pretty much an arrive and drive street turbo. Plenty of mph, just couldnt launch or keep it down.
That sounds like a fun bike!!! I bet 400hp is a hand full! The only thing I've been in with that kind of power is my mustang GT. LOL!

Not sure bow a lock up will do on the street. I want to be able to cruise it.

Hey TJ, a lockup clutch will help you with the launch, and it is absolutely great in the street. I have been running lockups on all my turbo street bikes since 1978. I am not familiar with your particular setup, but it sounds to me like a lockup and a good progressive boost controller will get you well into the eights with no problem and no wheelie bar . . . please let us know what you decide and how it works out for you, an eight second street bike is no joke . . .

I will first admit to near total ignorance on drag setups. Could you rig up and manual wheelie control button? Press the button and the ignition is retarded for a few milliseconds? Maybe make the duration settable. that way if the front is lifting just hit the button and you can stay in it. Don't know maybe this is a stupid idea?

If your making 400 whp you could and should run low 8s with sometime and set up correct.

Get lockup clutch, drag shock, and a progressive boost controller. A couple track days and you will run faster then you ever would with handclutch wheelie bar bike.

I should admit that I happened along a video of me at the track and I saw my launch. I probably could have left harder just usung my feet like Fred Flinstone. I want the bars so I can get after it without the worry.
I watched a guy at the same track a few years ago run 8.1 with less hp and a proper arm and air shifter and slick. He eventually got a high 7 I heard.
If bars are on and I run a hook up maybe an 8? Part of the issue is I'm out of buget (a standard condition). 4k so far this year. Perhaps next year a clutch is in order.

Question: RCC's boost compensated lock up plus an AMS 1000? Will they be good combo? I have the AMS, but its just set per gear and I never ran it in boist per second. Is boost per second the same as "progressive"?

Thanks in advance and thanj you all for the relpies:).

I will first admit to near total ignorance on drag setups. Could you rig up and manual wheelie control button? Press the button and the ignition is retarded for a few milliseconds? Maybe make the duration settable. that way if the front is lifting just hit the button and you can stay in it. Don't know maybe this is a stupid idea?
Same boat as you most people just apply a little back brake that way you can stay in the power and bring it down.

Budget smudge it. I hate budgets. I would save your money and not buy the wheelie bar.

My buddy bought my turbo busa. Makes 275 at the tire and he's gone 8.75 at 165. It's 10 over and just up 2 in the rear. Has air shifter with mps auto shift. He doesn't have a boost controller on the bike so it's all or nothing.

What's your gearing? You have auto shift?

If you can dial the power back alot in 1st and 2nd and gear the bike right and have a good shock it can be done. Just takes time.

Lots of track time and adjustments to get the bike dialed in. You might want to gear it to cross the traps in 5th gear.

Just trying to help you out.

Thanjs for the reply. The bike is 19, 40 I believe. A little land speedy in the gearing. No auto shift. The big issue is the front coming up (and the rider, lol). I can go to a max of 8 over on this arm.

Just a few friends with wheelie bars . I took these in Kansas 18 months ago while working for Dorey racing . Bars have their place especially in e.t. racing . This is NHRA division 4 , and 5 guys

DSCN0605_zpsnylqoktj.jpg

DSCN0606_zpsz0qheyuq.jpg

DSCN0607_zpsckjl1cma.jpg

DSCN0608_zpsyl54srmo.jpg

DSCN0622_zpsjaxszf7x.jpg

DSCN0623_zpsy9dz4q9d.jpg

DSCN0624_zpsoavovsvd.jpg

DSCN0625_zpsriuzwy5l.jpg

DSCN0626_zpswzqo2u4t.jpg

DSCN0627_zpsgcooo60y.jpg

DSCN0580_zpsnyi61b7w.jpg

DSCN0581_zpsxx2agfok.jpg

DSCN0591_zpsy1lqz3x8.jpg

DSCN0592_zpss1yxecho.jpg

DSCN0596_zpsc6slpdox.jpg

DSCN0597_zpsltfgox7d.jpg

Track Razor ( avatar engine pic is its heart I built ) Leaving on a small tire bar bike is something sweet . completely different than the shot of me on the teams non bar bike testing new transmission I put in Black widow.

DSCN0589_zpsysnqdncy.jpg

DSCN0579_zpsqatxgruw.jpg

ZRX%20drag%20bike_zpszkiboj3v.jpg

The 1st bird in blue with back half is hand clutch / street . I did not read this entire thread with some of its BS , but rather provided a few pics of bar bikes for the original poster .

Why does the bike have big old clutch cover?

for looks / future upgrades / oil capacity increase ??? It was advertised to us as what I said his street bike/hand clutch . There was no reason to doubt him . Its a E.T division race , not grudge racing . The bike was slower than many non bar bikes ( low 9's ) , but had perfect e.t. / killer 60' times

Back