Lsr and suspension questions.

Rschif

Registered
I attended the sept meet in Ohio and had a blast on my mostly stock gen 1 with a small shot of n20. I had a great time and can't wait to go again.

My question is I have another bike im building as a mostly drag bike. But I want to bring it to some events. My question is about my front forks. The externally shortened and internally lowered. The bike has a flat pan and a side winder so I'm not worried about it being to low I'm just worried about control at hi speed. And if I should just go back to stock forks and a strap like most people.

Thank you for your help.

I am not a LS racer, but properly modified forks are superior to a strap.
Correctly shortened and adjusted forks still travel their range properly. Where a strapped front end causes limited travel and will not handle as well.
You can PM Got-Busa, he's an experienced LSR and is full of great advice.

When I ran lsr I didn't strap the front. I meant strap for drag racing and keep them stock for lsr. Or just go with the Macintosh ones I have. I will message him. Thank you

I'm no suspension Guru, but as you know Ohio is very smooth and a nice track to run on.

In the Maxton days you could have used a set up from a CFR500 to absorb the bumps, LoL
(You know that's a joke)

I have a suspension set that I have that lower bike 2 inches on each end when I go to the track.
IMO I won't go to much lower than that. There is some downforce of the bike at the top end and at some of the tracks you have to brake pretty good after the traps.
So if you throw a couple bumps in it would be possible to lock the front wheel and if you aren't playing attention or do the wrong thing when it does the front will wash out.

+1
I'm no drag racer either, but have done a little over the years.
I wouldn't want to have to drag race a strapped front if I had cut forks.
As said, trying to slow down in a short space as quick as possible, can get you in trouble with a good bump in the run off's surface.
Cut forks obviously have limited travel, but perform much more like stock forks when done and set properly.
Where as the strap holds tension on the springs and limits their ability to travel.
So you end up with the bike hopping over bumps, as opposed to the suspension absorbing some or all of the impact.

Back