Lost $600.00 planning a ride to Ruidoso NM rally

Chris79761TX

Registered
Way back in Oct 2011 got with my friends who have bikes. We planned a ride to the Aspen Cash Bike Rally in Ruidoso, NM. We had plenty of time to put in for the days off from our jobs since the rally was May 18-20 2012. To save money we all agreed to rent a cabin instead of a hotel. So I looked up a cabin and told them how much and if they all agree I will reserve it. Well I reserved the cabin on my credit card and it only added up to $145.00 per couple. The cabin was on top of a mountain had a garage for the bikes a hot tub and pool table really nice cabin. Had to make a deposit for the cabin to hold it. Well after reminding everyone as the rally got closer we discussed what we will take for food and everything planning our ride. They all got the days off everything was a go 1 week before the rally. Well 1 friend has a Big Dog Ridgeback which has been spending more time at the vet than on the road. So he was a no go. Friend #2 three days before the ride was all of a sudden broke had no money for the trip and said he needed to do somethings to his bike it wouldn't make it. His bike is running fine he is just embarassed cuz his paint job didn't turn out the way he wanted is all it turned out to be. Friend #3 he decided he needed to go to Oklahoma not for work or anything he said oh I forgot. Well i decided to cancel the cabin losing my deposits and a big cancellation fee cuz it was 3 days before the rally. Well my family went I decided to leave the bike and we all go by car. That really sucked being at a rally with no bike and we were kinda limited on what to do because we had our 9 month old grandson with us. Now they all want to go to the Sept rally. I am not going to plan anything for that one. I lost $600.00 on this one. I think I need to find some more dependable people to ride with. what really burned me was the friend who was all of a sudden broke was posting pictures on facebook of him in another city partying and with his bike the same weekend. :guns::wtf:

I would kick that "broke" friend's arse.... and lesson learned. Next time either dont be the one to reserve the cabin or make sure everyone pay's there part of that fee up front. Sorry you had to eat it...I would make sure to let them all hear about it.

That is one load of crap-o-la......sounds like you were able to find out your "real" friends the hard way :banghead: I personally prefer to NOT ride alone but have learned that I had more success planning (and going) on long trips if I did it SOLO.

I did the Tour of Honor last year (almost 2K miles in 2-3 days) and planning on doing one again this year and yup, you guessed it....going SOLO.

Welcome to trying to be the good guy. EVERY time I plan a trip, everyone bails at the last minute. I'm doing 1100 miles this coming weekend. It started out with 8 bikes. We are down to 3 and I wouldn't be shocked if it was 2 by the time we leave... :banghead:

Planning stuff with people sux..

sorry to hear you got stuck like that...it only takes a couple trips to determine who the few are that you can trust and the majority of folks that you can't...i've heard just about every excuse in the world about why someone suddenly can't go at the last minute, almost makes me hate to answer the phone as time draws near :laugh:

Way back in Oct 2011 got with my friends who have bikes. We planned a ride to the Aspen Cash Bike Rally in Ruidoso, NM. We had plenty of time to put in for the days off from our jobs since the rally was May 18-20 2012. To save money we all agreed to rent a cabin instead of a hotel. So I looked up a cabin and told them how much and if they all agree I will reserve it. Well I reserved the cabin on my credit card and it only added up to $145.00 per couple. The cabin was on top of a mountain had a garage for the bikes a hot tub and pool table really nice cabin. Had to make a deposit for the cabin to hold it. Well after reminding everyone as the rally got closer we discussed what we will take for food and everything planning our ride. They all got the days off everything was a go 1 week before the rally. Well 1 friend has a Big Dog Ridgeback which has been spending more time at the vet than on the road. So he was a no go. Friend #2 three days before the ride was all of a sudden broke had no money for the trip and said he needed to do somethings to his bike it wouldn't make it. His bike is running fine he is just embarassed cuz his paint job didn't turn out the way he wanted is all it turned out to be. Friend #3 he decided he needed to go to Oklahoma not for work or anything he said oh I forgot. Well i decided to cancel the cabin losing my deposits and a big cancellation fee cuz it was 3 days before the rally. Well my family went I decided to leave the bike and we all go by car. That really sucked being at a rally with no bike and we were kinda limited on what to do because we had our 9 month old grandson with us. Now they all want to go to the Sept rally. I am not going to plan anything for that one. I lost $600.00 on this one. I think I need to find some more dependable people to ride with. what really burned me was the friend who was all of a sudden broke was posting pictures on facebook of him in another city partying and with his bike the same weekend. :guns::wtf:

Friends would have split that loss with you. The people you're talking about aren't friends. Since they all agreed and you covered the deposit, did you ask them to cover their percentage of the loss?

i dont understand how people can do that and still talk to ya:banghead:

Bright side is it was a blessing in disguise and you got to spend time with your grandson.
Better than any dead beat friend.

Always get the deposit up front from parties. Noone loses then and you go off their dime if they back out.

sorry to hear you got screwed over, you should still tell those "friends' they are still responsible for their share as you had booked it on ur cc and ended up paying for it.

you need better friends buddy.

:poke: you can always do Sturgis.
just tell the family it Sturgis isn't "family frendly" (although it is,depending on the family:laugh: )

THEY WOULD MOVE FROM MY FRIEND LIST TO MY S$$T LIST. they would have at least gave me $150 a piece for the money lost

every year when i plan the Haya's in the hills i do exactly the same thing...ill be honest...i dont always break even but when i consider the good times and cost for good friends and entertainment...im ok with taking a little loss just to give others the opportunity to ride and have fun... this year due to the cabin is almost $1200... ill be taking deposits..sorry you had a bad out...but still i would have discussed with them and before it was a situation for everyone backing out...i would have offered taking less and then let them pack their bags for a guilt trip!! lol

Sorry you lost money. BUT!!!! I learned long long long ago that when family or friends say they want me to get something, plan something, or lets do this together, "I" collect the money up front. You back out, you loose your share of the money.

Just like loaning out my tools. The tools would never come back to me. So I started a deposit prograhm. Leave a deposit to replace the tool if you break it or loose it. Bring the tool back, get your money back. 95% of my tools come back. What is important, is it works forme.

well Friend #1 with the Big Dog is paying me back for my loss. Friend#2 his wife is getting me their percentage. Friend #3 is MIA won't answer phone calls or text. So there is some good news out of all this but for Sept rally all money must be paid up front.

glad to hear you're getting most of your losses covered. sucks when ppl do this, like wth are you thinking that money grows on trees or something.

This is why I have so few "friends". Those whom I consider friends wouldn't require a deposit...I know for a fact they'd do the right thing and pay their share no matter what.

Everyone else is considered an acquaintance or family member and they all get to pay up front!

Back