Long life spark plugs… What the?

Kiwi Rider

Registered
I thought I’d show you guys the state of the spark plugs out of my car engine, these plugs have done a phenomenal amount of work and are in amazing condition.
Last time they were replaced was at 100,000km. My car now has 315,000kms on the clock.
This is what 215,000km on these plugs look like.
My car is a 2010 Subaru Legacy 2.5 litre NA fuel injected, with a CVT trans.
The average rpm the engine does is 1700rpm at 100kmh.
Because the engine runs at such low rpm, the plugs are sparking at a low rate compared to other vehicles…
Check it out,

2E0F5DFE-499D-4BBA-9700-5652EDC962FE.jpeg

CC67751F-7D1B-4FA1-A590-A6C1E2779B73.jpeg

I thought I’d show you guys the state of the spark plugs out of my car engine, these plugs have done a phenomenal amount of work and are in amazing condition.
Last time they were replaced was at 100,000km. My car now has 315,000kms on the clock.
Because the engine runs at such low rpm, the plugs are sparking at a low rate compared to other vehicles…
Check it out,

View attachment 1668481

View attachment 1668482
What was the change in gap? So many km. Nice!

they look like iridium plugs. their long life makes it nice not having to change them as often as copper plugs. especially for engines that the manifold has to come off. that white color might make me believe it’s running a little in the hot side.

they look like iridium plugs. their long life makes it nice not having to change them as often as copper plugs. especially for engines that the manifold has to come off. that white color might make me believe it’s running a little in the hot side.
Yes they are Iridium plugs, rated for 100k Kms between replacement intervals.
Yes they do show a lean running condition . . . and you would think the overall running condition would be hot, but I keep an eye on it's cooling system temperature and it never seems to get any warmer than normal , approx 85C to 95C.
It runs so fuel efficient (on the lean side) and averages 6.8km per 100kms, which is great for a 1600kg car with a 2.5 litre boxer motor.
Never uses or burns oil and has been totally reliable over the 10 years I've had it.

Yes they are Iridium plugs, rated for 100k Kms between replacement intervals.
Yes they do show a lean running condition . . . and you would think the overall running condition would be hot, but I keep an eye on it's cooling system temperature and it never seems to get any warmer than normal , approx 85C to 95C.
It runs so fuel efficient (on the lean side) and averages 6.8km per 100kms, which is great for a 1600kg car with a 2.5 litre boxer motor.
Never uses or burns oil and has been totally reliable over the 10 years I've had it.
Check it out,

View attachment 1668481

View attachment 1668482
Hi. My Honda Civic has 526000 miles on it runs like new. I would take it on a 6000 mile trip. As soon it will go on a 1500 lile trip up to Loring Main for the LSR races.

Hi. My Honda Civic has 526000 miles on it runs like new. I would take it on a 6000 mile trip. As soon it will go on a 1500 lile trip up to Loring Main for the LSR races.
That’s amazing that little Civic motor can do that much work and not even show wear, burning oil for instance.
You’ve obviously taken good care of the servicing etc.
Nice one Mike!
All the best for your trip to Loring!

That’s amazing that little Civic motor can do that much work and not even show wear, burning oil for instance.
You’ve obviously taken good care of the servicing etc.
Nice one Mike!
All the best for your trip to Loring!
Hi. Now I use 20/50 in the spring summer and 10_40 in the winter. My old truck had 486000 but it royted out. I fixed the frame 7 times. But whe it rotted whete the trans mounts I gave up. I had a Frightliner with 1,100,000 on it.

Hi. Now I use 20/50 in the spring summer and 10_40 in the winter. My old truck had 486000 but it royted out. I fixed the frame 7 times. But whe it rotted whete the trans mounts I gave up. I had a Frightliner with 1,100,000 on it.
You sure get ya money’s worth outta your vehicles Mike lol!
How many miles will you get out of your Busa?
With 1000+ BHP probably not 100,000!
Black Mamba Motorcycle GIF by Moore Mafia

You sure get ya money’s worth outta your vehicles Mike lol!
How many miles will you get out of your Busa?
With 1000+ BHP probably not 100,000!
View attachment 1679838
Hi. Well I am sure the fron wheel will have a lot less than the back wheel. DAS amd I will check it out every year to see if it need rings and valve springs or any thing else. Will put maybe 1000 miles a year. I put on about 500 miles a week on the car. I also have a Dodge pick up with a V8. It has 150000 on it . It needs a lot of work. I did get it for free as I got the car free also.

Back