Local Bike Meet England

bigdev

Registered
Hi these pics were taken at Devils Bridge in Kirkby Lonsdale in Cumbria yesterday (Sunday 28th May 2017) including yours truly stood with the love of his life :lol:.

What drew me to the trike was the Orange obviously :D but an interesting machine, it's a Can Am Spyder with a 3 cylinder 1330 cc Rotax engine. Not really my cup of cappuccino but each to their own. I had "my engines bigger than yours" bragging rights talking with the owner. :laugh:

Typical English weather, cloudy but quite warm. The day previous the heavens opened whilst I was there and I got soaked :rolleyes:.

Cars are not allowed to park here on weekends and Bank Holidays, it's bikes only :super:

20170528_124911.jpg

20170528_120521.jpg

20170528_120536.jpg

20170521_135331.jpg

The legend on how Devils Bridge got it's name.

Spanning the River Lune to the south and east of Kirkby Lonsdale is Devil’s Bridge. This magnificent three-arched bridge, probably dates from the 12th or 13th century, and is now a scheduled ancient monument. A popular haunt for motorcycle enthusiasts who congregate at weekends in the adjoining parking area to discuss all things mechanical over a mug of hot tea and a bacon butty, Devil’s Bridge was once the only bridge over the Lune for miles and formed part of the busy west-bound route into the town.

At the apex of the bridge, there’s a deep impression in the stone – often referred to as the devil’s handprint. The folk tale surrounding the handprint tells of an old woman who lived on the banks of the Lune with a few animals. One night her cow strayed across the river and would not be tempted back, no matter how much she coaxed and implored. The devil appeared to her, offering to build a bridge in exchange for the soul of the first body to cross it. The devil constructed the bridge with his own hands, leaving a print in the wet stone. The next day the woman met the devil at the bridge and agreed to fulfil her part of the bargain. She took a bun from her bag and threw it across the bridge, whereupon her small dog raced across to retrieve it. The devil, in a fit of rage at being outwitted, howled in anger and vanished in a cloud of brimstone.

Here is the Bridge itself.

d3b3799d6611d677944f5f86a500beb3_XL.jpg

Thanks for sharing the pictures. This isnt the same bridge that dogs commit suicide on is it?

I'm not sure about suicide but, dogs to jump over the wall not expecting there to be a 40 feet plus fall on the other side then either get killed or seriously hurt. I personally know a lady whose dog lost a leg when he jumped over. The problem also could be that, usually young males, jump off it into the river below so possibly lulling the dogs into thinking its the same drop the other side. Quite a few young males have died doing it to :crazy:

Interesting Rear Shock you got there - mind if i ask what it is?

James (from Leicestershire)

Interesting Rear Shock you got there - mind if i ask what it is?

James (from Leicestershire)

Not at all James, it's an Elka which is a USA company (http://www.elkasuspension.com/) and I'm really pleased with it. I've had Ohlin's before and whilst they are fine for the track they are too uncompromising for our bumpy roads I think. Hope this helps. :)

Cool thanks... where did you source them from in UK or did you import?

I imported it James, I think it was around £500 3 years ago and before everyone jumps on my back they are Canadian not American haha. They seem to be available from various UK dealers, ebay etc now so may be worth a search to save on import duties

We have a Can-Am dealer here in Swansea. Can't see the point of a 3 wheeler myself as you still get stuck in traffic and wet sometimes too! Perhaps if a bike's not an option, that's ok.

We have a Can-Am dealer here in Swansea. Can't see the point of a 3 wheeler myself as you still get stuck in traffic and wet sometimes too! Perhaps if a bike's not an option, that's ok.

I agree with you on the three wheeler score but I know 2 disabled bikers who have them just so they can still feel the wind in their faces etc but yes, that's their big moan, getting stuck in traffic.

I agree with you on the three wheeler score but I know 2 disabled bikers who have them just so they can still feel the wind in their faces etc but yes, that's their big moan, getting stuck in traffic.

The disabled riders round here tend to have converted trikes. One local guy rides with no legs - amazing! The Can-Ams tend to be playthings of rich non bikers IMO.

The disabled riders round here tend to have converted trikes. One local guy rides with no legs - amazing! The Can-Ams tend to be playthings of rich non bikers IMO.
A guy I know lost his legs when a car ran him and his Guzzi off the road, nothing daunted when he finally got his payout he had a custom Moto Guzzi Engined trike built :super:.

Back