Leaky generator cover?

mr_pete

Registered
Hi all,

I'm the new owner of a '99 Hayabusa - and having moved up from a VFR750, am impressed with how stressless it's been so far to get used to :)

I've only had the bike a few days, and it's due in for a 14,000 mile service next week - but I've noticed I appear to have a small oil leak.

Now, given that I'm as technical as a fish, I am led to believe that the bit of engine showing through the left hand side fairing (if you're sat on the bike) is the Generator cover?

When the bike is on sidestand, and left for over 12 hours, I get one or two small (<1 cm) spots of oil on the floor. I've cleaned the floor, wiped the cover off, top bottom & sides, so it's completely clean and dry, and then come back a few hours later, still dry.

Overnight (and the bike hasn't been run) and the spots are back on the floor. The sides and top of the cover are dry, but there is a film on the bottom. The oil appears clean (no water contamination) and the bolts on the cover appear tight.

So :

a) Is it in fact the generator cover?
b) If it is, the service manual does say use a new gasket to prevent oil leaks, so I presume oil is ok in that bit?
c) Could it be anything worse than a dodgy gasket/seal or loose bolts?

Cheers! :)

Mr Pete

It does sound like the cover gasket is leaking. It's not an ugly job. After draining the oil, remove the fairing panel and the eight or so bolts holding cover on. You'll have to use a rubber mallet to loosen the cover (I just replaced my cover last night and needed to jar it loose) and pull it straight off. You'll be fighting the resistance of a bunch of very strong magnets in the generator stator, but just give it a stout pull once it is loosened - do not resort to prying! Clean the surfaces well with a gasket scraper or razor blade (do not dig into the aluminum) and assemble things in reverse order.

Ed

Common problem is the Stator Cover leak. Using gasket sealer 360 degrees around cover on both sides of a new gasket, solves the leak. The Service manual says to use gasket sealer +/- 1/2" on the Crankcase cover joints and around the rubber wire grommet. Some time later it starts to leak again. Using both sides of the gasket and 360 degrees = no leaks for long time
biggrin.gif

Careful the cover inside has a stator mounted to it. It fits inside a Flywheel magnet rotor. The force the magnet pulls on the startor/cover is very strong. Pulling it off takes some strength. Caution when replacing the cover. The magnet will pull out from your grip. Catching a finger between the cover and engine will result in some choice cussing. Align the gasket on the guide pin side.

Back