Kerosene

Kaldari

Registered
I've used dupont chain cleaner for a while now, but I figured I would go to kerosene since most recommend it. I douse a few rags, wipe the chain really clean, dry with other rags, and everything seemed to be going well. It worked very well.

The problem was washing the rags. They stunk to high heaven, but I figured I could just throw them in the washing machine on small load with some detergent, and all would be well. They wash, and the fumes were bad as ever. They filled the entire room my washer and dryer are in, and the rags are still oily and smell.

I did some Googling, and this stuff is apparently very hard to get out of fabric. If it's just a spot stain, you can get it out by rubbing some dawn into it thoroughly for a wash or two in hot water and then add baking soda and vinegar in the rinse cycle and let everything set for a couple hours. Well, there's no way I can rub that much dawn into every rag I used. I tried drizzling a little on each rag, but they're all still oily after three washes.

Is there some secret cleaner I'm not aware of that cuts this stuff? I can deal with the smell with vinegar, but I have to get rid of the oil first.

My grandfather said to just throw them out, and I'm starting to think he's right. :whistle:

Last edited:
toss em' out! rags are cheap and the kerosene is worth it for what your using it for.

I use a toothbrush dipped in Kerosene and then use the rag to wipe it clean. Toss the rag in the trash. FYI, never ever ever wash any rags in the washing machine that have flammable chemicals on them.

I soak dirty rags in a bucket of water/DAWN for about a day. Rinse, wring dry and toss in the washer. Been doing this for years w/o problems.

Yea I use a container for the kerosene and use a non-metal bristle brush to scrub the chain with. Then I put some clean kerosene in a spray bottle (a cheap 99 cent bottle from the travel section at Target) and spray the chain down to "rinse" it off. After that I take a rag and wipe it down till it's all clean then toss the rag or put it in a bucket of HOT water and some Dawn or other type of industrial degreaser and let it soak over night before cleaning. After that, rinse with water (hose)...and then maybe...MAYBE if they get clean enough I'll put them in the washer. Those of you with wives...they get PISSED if you make a mess in the washer with oily rags. Ask me how I know. :laugh:

Back