Kelley Blue Book

Not uncommon for that busa you have your eye on to have been laid down and repaired. Can't really expect someone to pay those KBB prices for one of those busa's. Each bike price is kind of more on a case by case basis, no?
Posted via Mobile Device

KBB told me that my bike was worth over a thousand dollars more than what NADA price was. Take a guess which one the Insurance company used to value my bike??

salesmen are only one step away from politics. I hate going car shopping because I've got to argue, berate, and everything else to finaly purchase a vehicle. It's such an old "magic ellixir" game that's played.

sorry, the topic is KBB. KBB is junk, find a better and more accurate source for information.

Last edited:
I've had several dealers use the "let's see what KBB says about the price" when I start trying to negotiate. I know right then they are trying to screw me. I tell them if that's what I should expect to pay for the vehicle anywhere I buy it, I'll be happy to go somewhere else to get it. I don't think KBB is as generous on their trade in values as they are on their retail values.

KBB is always more than generous with the trade. Customers come here having done their homework with the KBB printout but most of the time I say most of the time the trade is not worth what KBB says it is .
You have to realize that there are auction lots everywhere with vehicles identical to what 99% of the cars I look at are. What the car of similar make and model just sold for at auction is what it's worth. Most of the time they sell for even less than 'rough' book when they are a perfect cherry. So why would a dealer 'load up' in a trade when he already knows if he does load up in it he will not be able to retail it on his lot or recoup his cost at auction ?

Ok so let me clarify. If the sales manager, not the saleman, would have gotten even close to book value I would have made the trade. My salesman was even like, wth? I looked him in the eye told him I didnt mind him making a profit, but it didnt all have to be from me. You say profit is not a dirty word, well it is when you lie to people! Let me go ahead get on my soap box so we can see eye to eye. If you are buying a house, and your real estate agent tells you its worth 200k, you pay that for it and find out next month its really only worth 125k. Thats ok right? Because the real estate agent made a profit from the commision. Its still lying. What made me mad was the fact that the dealer told me he couldnt sell a truck for book value. The market is not bringing book prices, even though my truck was worth it. So, I then asked him what I could buy the truck I was interested in for because the sticker on the window was higher than book value, but I only wanted to pay what the market was brining. Well no, we cant do that. Sure, give me less than wholesale and charge me more than retail. There is a reason car salesman have a bad rap and there is reason I get mad every time I need to purchase a vehicle. The reason dealers dont use NADA or KBB prices is because they no longer have the edge and customers are now informed. They cant scam you as easily as they once could. So now lets use the "black" book. Great, if and when that is made public, dealers will come up with the "Green" book or whatever.

James you are right in some ways. Many salesman are liars and will say or do anything to sell you today and after that you will never hear from them again . Eight yrs on the floor of one of the top five Lincoln Mercury dealers in the country I averaged 200 units a year and ranked in CSI (customer satisfaction index) in the top 25 out of over 12,000 in my region for sales and csi. I did this by being honest and straightforward with folks. I sent them cards on their birthdays , their particular religious holidays, and from time to time just a simple hand signed 'how ya doin' letter. I considered myself and still at this new location like a doctor with a client base whom I will form relationships with. The first sale is the most difficult but the second one , the third one are easy. A referral from a satisfied customer who comes in and asks for me already has their guard down and is a more relaxed and is also easier to deal with hence more likely to buy. I considered this a career not a job. There are sheister dealers and salesman and there are folks who geneuinely want to help you and themselves.
I don't turn my customers over to a mgr for a 'close' because I develop enough of a rappor with them that by the time I ask them to buy I've earned that right. Sorry that your experience did not go well. I can and will do a sight unseen appraisal on anyones vehicles and sell you mine. I can register in any state as well. So when your ready pet me know as I am now at Al Packer Ford Lincoln Mercury here in West Palm. Look at Al Packer I promise you the prices on the trucks you are looking at are better than where you were at.

Ok so let me clarify. If the sales manager, not the saleman, would have gotten even close to book value I would have made the trade. My salesman was even like, wth? I looked him in the eye told him I didnt mind him making a profit, but it didnt all have to be from me. You say profit is not a dirty word, well it is when you lie to people! Let me go ahead get on my soap box so we can see eye to eye. If you are buying a house, and your real estate agent tells you its worth 200k, you pay that for it and find out next month its really only worth 125k. Thats ok right? Because the real estate agent made a profit from the commision. Its still lying. What made me mad was the fact that the dealer told me he couldnt sell a truck for book value. The market is not bringing book prices, even though my truck was worth it. So, I then asked him what I could buy the truck I was interested in for because the sticker on the window was higher than book value, but I only wanted to pay what the market was brining. Well no, we cant do that. Sure, give me less than wholesale and charge me more than retail. There is a reason car salesman have a bad rap and there is reason I get mad every time I need to purchase a vehicle. The reason dealers dont use NADA or KBB prices is because they no longer have the edge and customers are now informed. They cant scam you as easily as they once could. So now lets use the "black" book. Great, if and when that is made public, dealers will come up with the "Green" book or whatever.

Funny you should say that. I run into this anytime I deal with a motorcycle dealer... I have come to hate most the motorcycle dealers within my near vicinity due to having this mentality.

salesmen are only one step away from politics. I hate going car shopping because I've got to argue, berate, and everything else to finaly purchase a vehicle. It's such an old "magic ellixir" game that's played.

sorry, the topic is KBB. KBB is junk, find a better and more accurate source for information.

Well then Commuta just like when you buy a steak at the grocer and dont negotiate the $10.99 a lb price come on in and I'll be glad to charge you sticker/msrp for anything you want. It will be the easiest deal you ever got :)

It's not us who have created this atmosphere it's the customer. Car sales is one of a very few retail businesses that have to daily negotiate the price of their products .
Can't go to walmart and say '20 bucks for these jeans, if you take 15 I'll buy them now!'
Can't go to a restaurant and say $50 for the bill , will you take $35?'
But car sales is different and if you don't like to haggle just pay sticker like you do everywhere else :) :beerchug:

the thing is walmart's jeans which cost say 5 bucks doesn't say to the consumer "we have to buy the jeans at 50.00 dollars so selling them to you at 45.00 is money out of my pocket." Instead it's simply 20 bucks. Believe me, I know it's marked up high so many people rely on a sale day to make their purchase. There's still profit being made even on those days.

MSRP is a made up sticker
dealer invoice is a made up sticker
don't get me started about the finance departments
the whole markup process starts way before the consumer sees a product. The dealer negotiates each month with the factory on the price the dealer will pay for the car. It just snowballs from there and by the time the consumer is involved everyone has already built into the price their cut. it's just a painful process to have to negotiate prices. I'm glad I don't have to argue a fair price on my restaurant bill.

Blanca - I like you and I hope you don't take this as an attack on you or yoru carrier choice. I understand you're view from the slaes side but from the consumer side it's always a battle.

btw, I never pay sticker or anything close when purchasing a car. I do all the negotiating through several dealers and then send my wife in to finish them off. She'll rant and rave until the manager either kicks us out or closes the deal. I try and screw them over as much as they try to screw me over.

Well then Commuta just like when you buy a steak at the grocer and dont negotiate the $10.99 a lb price come on in and I'll be glad to charge you sticker/msrp for anything you want. It will be the easiest deal you ever got :)

It's not us who have created this atmosphere it's the customer. Car sales is one of a very few retail businesses that have to daily negotiate the price of their products .
Can't go to walmart and say '20 bucks for these jeans, if you take 15 I'll buy them now!'
Can't go to a restaurant and say $50 for the bill , will you take $35?'
But car sales is different and if you don't like to haggle just pay sticker like you do everywhere else :) :beerchug:

No never would take it as a personal attack .
Two things though .
MSRP is a 'made up sticker' yes. It is the manufacturers suggested retail price. From that comes regional rebates , incentives and discounts.
The invoice here in Florida is the actual invoice and the actual price the dealer pays for the car. There is msrp , invoice cost and one thing called holdback on the invoice. We will sell a $60k F450 at dead cost less incentives and rebates but will not negotiate holdback which is usually anywhere from $500 to $1000. Incetives and rebates are regionally based which means the regions/areas/dealers who move a higher volume of units will get stronger discounts. One of the reasons dealers have gone to 'dealer fees' is due to the fact we sell cars for so little now. If out of 200 cars you actually have to 'lose' money on 15-20 on them we will. Only thing that matters is if at the end of the month the mgrs can still show an overall dept profit.
I'm in one of the top regions in the country and promise you I can sell any Ford,Lincoln or Mercury vehicle for much less than most other states/regions due to our volume.
To give you an example this place sold almost 3000 new units this year in 2010.
I doubt there is any dealer on the Midwest or similar that did half of that.

When you say you try to screw the dealer as much as they try to screw you it is you then who is perpetuating the belief we are trying to screw you. I know in my heart any of you would be stunned to see how I handle my customers . I deal with some of the richest , cheapest old farts in the country and still bend over backwards to 'earn their 'business'' and treat them right.
Firm handshake , nice greeting , treating you like family, calling you regularly to ensure your satisfaction , mailing cards for all types of occasions. These things set me apart from the normal ones and is the reason I have only been here for two months but have the second highest sales out of twelve others in those two months. I was out of the business for almost five years , walked on and am doing better than most here. It's all attitude and customers sense that and feed off it.
Within short order I'll be back on desk managing a crew whether it's this one or another same as I did at Palm Beach LM.
I do truly enjoy it and get great satisfaction when folks say as their driving away 'we had no idea we were gonna buy a car today!'
Know why that happened ? Because they bumped into a nice person who cared and treated them right.

the thing is walmart's jeans which cost say 5 bucks doesn't say to the consumer "we have to buy the jeans at 50.00 dollars so selling them to you at 45.00 is money out of my pocket." Instead it's simply 20 bucks. Believe me, I know it's marked up high so many people rely on a sale day to make their purchase. There's still profit being made even on those days.

MSRP is a made up sticker
dealer invoice is a made up sticker
don't get me started about the finance departments
the whole markup process starts way before the consumer sees a product. The dealer negotiates each month with the factory on the price the dealer will pay for the car. It just snowballs from there and by the time the consumer is involved everyone has already built into the price their cut. it's just a painful process to have to negotiate prices. I'm glad I don't have to argue a fair price on my restaurant bill.

Blanca - I like you and I hope you don't take this as an attack on you or yoru carrier choice. I understand you're view from the slaes side but from the consumer side it's always a battle.

btw, I never pay sticker or anything close when purchasing a car. I do all the negotiating through several dealers and then send my wife in to finish them off. She'll rant and rave until the manager either kicks us out or closes the deal. I try and screw them over as much as they try to screw me over.

screwed was a bit harsh on my part. The salesmen and his tactics determine the direction of the entire conversation for me. I don't walk into a dealership with any preconceptions of the salesmen. I'm polite and friendly and try to keep the tone on an even keel. I even try and laugh and joke with them to keep a positive mood. It's when some of the "false truths" start to fly that I will try to correct them. The whole process is such game that's being played. I have to do the same things with other things in life but car purchases is one that just is overly time consuming to say the least in order to break even.

Seeing that I'm in the NorthEast influences things as well. Perhaps FL dealers play the game more neutral. :beerchug:
When you say you try to screw the dealer as much as they try to screw you it is you then who is perpetuating the belief we are trying to screw you. I know in my heart any of you would be stunned to see how I handle my customers . I deal with some of the richest , cheapest old farts in the country and still bend over backwards to 'earn their 'business'' and treat them right.
QUOTE]

Back