Just took my fuel pump apart

OB_gsx1300rguy

Registered
Ok I got sick of the bullshit so I took my pump apart.Just so you guys know the fuel system has three screens and one paper filter.As fuel flows.
1 the sock screen in the fuel tank
2 The 1 inch disc filter in the bottom of the fuel pump.
3 The paper cartridge filter in the pump.
4 The bowl shaped screen in between the filter housing and the fuel pressure regulator.
The intank sock filter I`ve sure you`ve all heard of. The disc filter in the bottom of the fuel pump I haven`t heard anyone talk about and mine was plugged solid. You have to remove the electric motor from the housing and pull out the plastic shroud the disc is on the bottom it can be pulled out and cleaned.There is also the bowl filter between the fuel pressure regulator and the pump housing that was also plugged solid.I think everyone knows where the paper filter is.The weird thing is my paper filter was clean.I removed all the filters and screens and I have an auto type fuel injection filter in line.The bike absolutely rips now.I came around this offramp I always goose it at and the front end came right up ..to cool.I still have to synchronize the throotle bodies and adjust the t.p.s. because its still a little rough below 3k.I`ll keep you guys posted.

You missed one, or should I say 4! Yes each injector has a filter also.

I have no clue if my dealer checked all of these filters, sound like a good time to do it.

My injectors have been noisey.I think I`ll wait till my service manual comes in before I tackle those.Thanks for the info...no doubt those are nasty too!

Good job
Were they all plugged? even the tank strainer? Can you tell where it came from?
What was the crap like you cleaned out?
Injector screens? sounds like fun.
Where O where is manual !@#$%@!#$, sugarbritches.
Sorry this is beyond a sore subject for me at this point
Glad your running strong again.
Bob

gsx1300rguy--How long did this take? I will be installing new headpipes on my bike tomarrow morning and have a new fuel filter cartridge. I may take look to see if anything is building up.
Any tips or problems that you may have encountered?
Bob

The hardest part is getting the tank off without spilling gas on everything.LOL. Well I recomend getting new o-rings.I reused mine but they were a little streched.To be honost I have no idea how the bike was running.The screens were toast.It was a reddish brown flakey stuff.The job took about three hours it was well worth it.Hmmm lets see #1 disconnect the battery lead! Have a fire extinguisher handy! .drain the tank as much as you can .When you remove the fuel lines off the pump you will have to get something to plug both lines .I used 1/2 bolts, worked ok.If you can do both lines at once cause the fuel will flow back out the pump if you do one at a time.Disconnect the vent lines on the tank and disconnect the fuel level sensor.Getting the bolt of the back of the tank is a pain in the ass ...you`ll see.I then disconnected the power leads to the pump and that sock thing around the pump suck too. The manual tells to remove the pump and brackets as one ..I just took out the pump ,the hard part is removing the high pressure line off the regulator.It`s held on by a phillips screw and its tough to get to.Then you can pull the sucker out.Taking the pump apart is easy.Remove the regulator watch out for the little basket screen between the reg and pump housing.Mine was full of that brown stuff.I dont want to get to deep here.But you basically take the screws off and pull it apart .The screen on the bottom of the pump was hard for me to get the pump came out but the housing stayed in.I had to yank it out.Bob you e-mailed me the diagrams right?.That gives us something to go by untill our manuals come in.Look at those there pretty good.I take things apart and fix them working by manuals at work"systems tech" and I have a background in automotive so it was pretty easy for me ,altough a pain in the ass.The results are awesome and I cant wait to fine tune this thing.If you can have a buddy there I`m sure it will be easier.All I had was my stupid dog picking up my tools and running away.LOL.Good luck .Oh if any body hurts themselves or blows up there bike this is only a reference consult your service manual or have a qualified service person work on it.God I love America!

[This message has been edited by gsx1300rguy (edited 09 September 1999).]

Thanks
I will do it tomarrow along with my new headpipes.
Two more questions if your still there.
1. Did you cut the sock like insulation?
2. Did you inspect and/or clean out your gas tank?
Bob

I put some fuel system cleaner in the tank and shook it around and yes I poop cannned the sock.It got soaked with gas and turned slimey .I`ll be putting on some new insulation when I do the sync.

To remove the tank remove the two bracket bolts(hinge on frame) vs removing the one long horizontal bolt.

Manual also suggests thet you pinch lines to prevent fuel spill, and top remove the insulation before there is a mess with gas.

Gsx1300rguy, Bob has my manual at the moment and it should be back here by tuesday, you can use it next if you wish. Maybe Bob can make an extra copy?

My bike is in the shop for fuel pump work, the tank strainer is full of brown gook, and thew green filter that resides in the pump is yuch brown. the strainer just before the pressure regulator has some brown yuch as well.

Maybe we can take a look at regional gas additives(differant states and countries).

If it is gas additives then why wasn't the TL, TLR, and GSXR750 plagued by similar illness?

Or is this brown residue a tank slime originating from Japan.

KawAbuser could be right; I have seen tanks that have been improperly treated (inside) that display the same characteristics as what he is describing, but I am not familiar with Suzuki & if they coat the inside of their tanks. Maybe someone at this forum could verify if it is a coating (from the inside of the tank). Anyone have connections to Suzuki USA?

[This message has been edited by asubayah (edited 18 September 1999).]

Just got off bike after it recieved services for the Official Suzuki Service Bulletin's 108 and 109. Guess what it runs a whole lot better and the idle isn't lumpy anymore.

I would like to know for sure that this is the end. A bike that makes this much power even when it is ill, still makes more power than anything else. Since the "brown viris" builds up over time performance diminishes slowly, till it shows up as a "cough/cut out"

Now that we know the symtoms we still have not nailed the cause.

Suzuki claims it is because we feed our busa's scuzzy fuel(would not this be regional and afflict other FI bikes/cars). Or could this be something that slipped up at the Factory(type/amount of tank corrosion inhibitor).

What are your thoughts and views?

Also do you think this is the end of this?

Just an idea here, that "brownish flaky stuff" may be rust. Put a magnet to it, if it sticks to the magnet it's probably rust. If so, I would treat the tank with a quality tank liner such as "Kreem" brand, otherwise the problem will not go away. Good luck to all of you.

I dont think it was rust, it was soft and spongey.I now have 700 miles on since I cleaned the fuel system and I haven`t had a single stall or cut out and the bike has much more power.I`m still waiting for my manual to do the fine tuning stuff.

[This message has been edited by gsx1300rguy (edited 17 September 1999).]

Did not have that much brown stuff in the strainers. A tiny amount in the small strainer under the pressure regulator, and a small amount in the strainer in the petcock.

I did not remove the pump insulator it stayed in the pump housing. It did not seem to want to come out so i thought i would wait for my new insulator to arrive first.

What is everyones experience as to where the most build-up is?
I may go back in to it today and check this insulator.
Bob

Found everything almost exactly as gsx1300rguy posted sept.9 except taking the 2 hinge bolts on the gas tank off instead of the one long one. Also tore the sock around the pump in half.

Now to get the updated screens.

My dealer had the bulletins and ordered my new parts. They gave me copies so I could do it my self. The fuel pressure regulator screen is not replaced so must be cleaned. The bulletin states "Once the revised parts are installed,your GSX1300R customer will be responsible for the cost of future normal service to these items."
The parts ordered were.
Fuel petcock
Fuel pump insulator
Fuel pump strainer
3 "O" ring gaskets.
The bulletins have good instructions and also a warning to the dealer about modifications.

Back