Just ordered new helmets!

Scooter

Registered
I make sure to replace helmets every 3 or 4 years. So I just ordered a couple beauties for the wife and me. She has her own bike - a Buell Lightning (nice bike btw). Her new lid is a matching Suomy that I ordered from Ridegear.com (nice deal btw). My new helmet is a hard-to-find Shoei XR1000 (I like the weird ones!).

Anyway, they say that the foam that absorbs the shock of an impact starts to deteriorate after 3-5 years of use. Something about the oils in your hair/skin that cause that. Therefore, you should replace your helmet after you've used it for a few years.

How long do you guys keep a helmet?

i try to about the same time fram as you do..

after 3 years mine are normally a little ruff around the edges anyways..

my strap is fraying on my current helmet.. looking for a replacement as we speak.. haha

bought a AGV on closeout purdy cheap... haven't ridden with it yet so I dunno if it'll be "the one" or not.

Um, Arai has a 5 year warranty, so after 5 years, I send em' to Arai for insection and let the experts decide if I need a new helmet or not.

It's important to shower with your helmet about once a month at least during the hotter months. With Arai you simply remove the visor and the cheek pieces and take the thing in the shower, use your regular shampoo and rinse real good. Carefully pad dry the liner when you step out then give it a day or so to dry. Keeps your lid smelling good and feeling good for years...

which XR1000 did you get? I have my eye on the Diabolic, just havent had the heart to shell out the $$ for it yet
blush.gif

I have also been looking for a replacement, the one I have now is great, but just want to get something new for the looks
cool.gif

Oh and We're stateside folks, The XR1000 is know as RF1000 in these here parts.
smile.gif

I do every three or four unless they get to lookin beat up then its before 3 years most of the time ya get one then find somthing better ya like so it kinda takes care of its self
wink.gif

I'm still on my first helmet but I will probably keep it until I find a helmet that's cooler looking. I also can't seem to find any helmets that are as comfortable on me as my Shoei TZ-1. Actually I would really love to find the Shogun TZ-1 that came out in '03 but of course is discontinued. I currently have the Hot Wheels, but that Shogun would really match my bike.

Actually, maybe I was wrong. Perhaps it's not an XR1000, but an X-Spirit in Europe/Japan. In any event, it is known as an X-Eleven stateside. The one I ordered is not available in the US.

Anyway, It's the Kagayama replica in white/silver. Can't wait!

I've got plenty of lids, none so far have taken a lick so far either.

Back