Japanese Aftermarket for Hayabusa

OB_KawAbuser

Registered
You would think that the land of Japan has gone back in time to closed borders and no foriegn trade.

Here are some comments from some Japanese companies in regard to export of their products.

Yes, we produce Hayabusa Products in Japan. We produce its mufflers. But
we sell them only in Japan. Because we are very strangers about another
countries (about the law or languages, etc....), we won't help you.
We are sorry about it.

Yuji Ochiai
Metal Speed
Tokyo, Japan

And here is what happens when our "Man in Japan" DaZee contacted Mikuni Racing

Michael,
are you sure you want to deal with these guys ? They just keep coming back sounding so
negative ! Must be some new sales tactic or perhaps they have rules against making a profit.
Here's what they say :

They have no Email address, website, no-one that speaks/reads English.
They have never sent anything overseas before and have no overseas distribution. If someone
were to propose a distributionship overseas they would be interested to listen - may be
difficult as they have no English speakers. They will not accept credit cards or any type of
bank transfer, only do sales via cash.

Tough company ! I am currently waiting for their address to come through and a map of where
they are, and if they have a stock of the parts or make to order. When I get this I'll let ya
know more.

P.S. Got the T-Shirts last night ! They look great, thankyou very much for your kindness. I
think the only part of America I will visit in the near future is Hawaii, so maybe I can help
Maui with Pete's bike.

DaZee

In contrast RAM from Monaco has been very cooperative in provideing parts for the American market and does commerce on the internet with no problem.

This country can drive you crazy sometimes ! My bike shop just called me about the work that I am having done on it, I wanted the Pilot Sport tyres fitted but was told today that they are not available in Japan until April 2000 ! Even the ZX12 will be here before then, what's so difficult about getting a tyre ??

BTW. Mikuni racing is located in the countryside in Kansai area to the south of Osaka. Did not have any map they could send me - maps are vital here, the address system is so complicated in Japan even taxi drivers will only take you to the general area of your destination.

There is such a variety with the people here you are always getting surprised. I was once surprised that my girlfriends parents had a copy of 'Bridge Over the River Kwai', their response was 'why not, it is a good film', and then you go and get people who move away from you in trains etc because your different. You gain an appreciation here on what it's like to be on the receiving end of prejudicism, but also to take people as you find them with no fixed pre-conceptions.

H. Tanabe from A-Tech is very helpful with my replacement cowling.

In the same light that some people had difficulty with Texas Fairing, some companies are just very small and are quite content in their own little niche. It is unfortunate that Mikuni Racing is a little bit stuck in their position, it is hard to believe that they are actually part of the huge Mikuni Corporation. But language barriers are everywhere and as Bear said if you really want something you will find the way. DaZee has been very helpful and I would like to thank him for his efforts to help me.

Round 2) DaZee how are you getting along with KENZ Sports. There are more than one fish in the sea.

Dazee, this is somewhat off-topic, but not really off-topic in the larger sense. People have varying ways of seeing things. Two people can look at the same thing and see something much different. I am sure you know this.

I am sitting here reading Miyamoto Musashi's guide to strategy. I am also having a few beers. But I was thinking of the Veteran's Day thread, and the comments about Pearl Harbor and the War in the Pacific. I hope your patience was not taxed.

People seem to see that event, and the war that followed, as if it all started on that day. They rarely ask what was happening, for example, in 1930, or in 1890? How did our countries set themselves up for such a catastrophe?

Your local parts suppliers seem to have a similar, quite common characteristic, narrow vision. People are naturally afraid to see things in a new way, or to do things in a new way. It can be frustrating, but that is human nature. We just have to figure out how to get our tires and engine parts with humanity as it is. We don't let reality stop us from getting what we want.

Back