Is Suzuki Updating The Hayabusa

A new Busa without electronics is DOA. To make a new bike worthwhile for Suzuki, they need to attract a new demographic of buyers (yes friends, we are relics). So a new bike needs to be lighter, safer, quicker, smoother and have the bells and whistles touring bikes have these days. I'm just not convinced Suzuki wants to go there. I bet the debate is whether they retire the Busa name and move on to a new flagship model not encumbered with expectations or keep selling BNG's until people just totally walk away.

A new Hayabusa without electronics is DOA.

To make a new bike worthwhile for Suzuki,
they need to attract a new demographic of buyers ( yes friends, we are relics ) .

So a new bike needs to be lighter, safer, quicker,
smoother and have the bells and whistles touring bikes have these days.

I'm just not convinced Suzuki wants to go there.

I bet the debate is whether they retire the Hayabusa name
and move on to a new flagship model not encumbered with
expectations or keep selling BNG's until people just totally walk away .

Isn't that exactly my point? Old design with BNG's until no one will buy it? Also if there is a market for the old bike why not milk that until they just can't move them anymore?

Last edited:
I remember seeing a thread like those over at the ISHOC group page over on Facebook, and someone mentioned that they had inside news that they were working on a next gen busa, but that's all they could say.

I agree with you on the decline. I don't know exactly why though except for maybe the country's economy.
I don't think it is entirely the economy as much as the continued emergence of the uber dual purpose bikes. KTM said a few years ago that they would not be updating the RC8 as their was simply no market for it. Busa may be a casualty of this same reasoning by Zuk.

A new Busa without electronics is DOA. To make a new bike worthwhile for Suzuki, they need to attract a new demographic of buyers (yes friends, we are relics). So a new bike needs to be lighter, safer, quicker, smoother and have the bells and whistles touring bikes have these days. I'm just not convinced Suzuki wants to go there. I bet the debate is whether they retire the Busa name and move on to a new flagship model not encumbered with expectations or keep selling BNG's until people just totally walk away.

I agree 100%.
A friend just bought a BMW 1000RR for about $15K and it is safer, and has all the bells and whistles.
He even likes the seat and the dealer said that almost everyone does and there's no need to get an after market one.

I agree 100%.
A friend just bought a BMW 1000RR for about $15K and it is safer, and has all the bells and whistles.
He even likes the seat and the dealer said that almost everyone does and there's no need to get an after market one.

Bike in a totally different class segment. Compared to the Busa, it does one thing much better, but a lot of other things much worse.

When Harley's start riding away from me, I will write Suzuki a letter. In the mean time I am happy to still have the latest model, probably be the last bike I ever own.

Hell don't build a new busa. Just build a bike that can kick that h2s ass. That's what I want. Kawasaki is in the light now with the bad ass zx14r, zx10r, and that h2. Hopefully the new gsxr 1000 walks that zx10r home. New busa would be great to beat the zx14r. Or something that will freight train the h2 off this planet. Lol.

I don't think it is entirely the economy as much as the continued emergence of the uber dual purpose bikes. KTM said a few years ago that they would not be updating the RC8 as their was simply no market for it. Busa may be a casualty of this same reasoning by Zuk.

Completely agree with this. I loved my RC8 but compared to the new crop of ultra tech liter bikes; it was a dinosaur. Most dealers won't even stock liter bikes in my area any more; they just don't sell. They have been replaced by the naked brigade. I had a SD1290 and loved the power, but I just couldn't come to love the riding position. The Busa does a great job of bringing together the touring and supersport class on a bike that is fun to ride, without being a complete torture rack.

I think Suzuki will continue to pump out the Busa in it's current form until it's phased out altogether. The tooling is all there; so until the bike becomes sale proof, I don't see much incentive for them to spend a ton of R&D updating it. Let's be realistic; it's still a great bike that accomplishes 95% of what most people will ever use it for. The only thing it could really benefit from would be some more rider aids (which I'm usually against lol). It's funny how jaded we get. 15 years ago most would have killed for a bike that could pump out 190 hp with some basic bolt ons. Now we scoff at anything shy of 200. :D

My Duke was probably the gnarliest bike I've owned from a power plant perspective. My Busa actually feels quite tame in comparison. My buddy has an FZ09 which is considerably less power. Funny enough; every time we played around with roll ons; there really wasn't that much difference between the bikes until you got to "go to jail" speeds. 10 hp here and there is fine and dandy; but in the grand scheme of things it's just not as big of a deal as we make it out to be. JMTC.

Yeah, 10hp difference isn't alot.
But the 900 Yamaha has about 45-50 less hp than the Busa.

Yeah, 10hp difference isn't alot.
But the 900 Yamaha has about 45-50 less hp than the Busa.

But that's kind of my point. I'd have to dig up my dyno chart but I was right about 170 and 105 on my Duke and the difference wasn't nearly as large as I thought when doing roll ons.

Hell don't build a new busa. Just build a bike that can kick that h2s ass. That's what I want. Kawasaki is in the light now with the bad ass zx14r, zx10r, and that h2. Hopefully the new gsxr 1000 walks that zx10r home. New busa would be great to beat the zx14r. Or something that will freight train the h2 off this planet. Lol.
Just take the friggin booster off the H2 and it's a glorfied zx10

But that's kind of my point. I'd have to dig up my dyno chart but I was right about 170 and 105 on my Duke and the difference wasn't nearly as large as I thought when doing roll ons.

If your looking for more of a Duke or FZ feel to your busa, play with your sprockets. It won't change the weight of the bike but you can make the front end feel lighter. You will hurt your top end but it doesn't sound like your looking to have a 200 MPH bike anyway.

You take that back !

2017-2018-motorcycles-bikes-honda-suzuki-kawasaki-yamaha-ducati-1-697x500.jpg

Back