Is Suzuki Updating The Hayabusa

bluesilver

Registered
Just looking to see if anyone has heard anything on the grape vine of Suzuki updating the old out dated Busa yet?
Don't get me wrong, it is a great bike, just is very outdated now compared to what is currently out there.
I am looking to update my 2010 model, but all that is out there at the moment is the ZX14r
Has anyone heard if the Busa is getting updated for 2018? I was hoping 2017 was going to be the year.

I have heard a lot about them updating in 2018. Of course I heard alot about them updating in 2017, 2016, 2015, 2014..... . No one knows what Suzuki is going to do, not even sure if they do or not.

From everything i am seeing and hearing hayabusa is done. They also killed of the m109r.

I don't think they're gonna do anything but that might be out of frustration. The last information I read from someone at Suzuki was they were looking at updating and adding electronics.

I don't think they're gonna do anything but that might be out of frustration. The last information I read from someone at Suzuki was they were looking at updating and adding electronics.

+1
There was a recent thread here somewhere, with a link that appeared to be legit.
It had the big wigs at Suzuki claiming a new Busa Was in the works.
Anyone have the number for the embassy Assange is holed up in? He probably knows.

All I know is the Japanese manufactures are very slow these days of bringing out certain new models the other forums I belong to its the same thing NO new GOLDWING yet NO new KLR yet No new BUSA yet remember the eighties and through the late nineties the japs were launching new models all of the time you could not keep up with the latest and greatest perhaps its a money economic thing or the recent earthquake they had there but not sure what the reason is ? :thumbsup:

You just need to do like me and buy a really cheap outdated bike and ride it often, so that when you jump back on the busa, you get all excited again! I like my busa and I also like the DR650 I just bought a few months back. The DR650 has been pratically unchanged since 1996, so my 2009 busa feels like a high tech jet by comparison. I mean, it has a gas gauge, temp sensor, gear position indicator, fuel injection and.................... it can go over 100mph:thumbsup:.

Forgot to add, it's been payed off for I don't know how many years now. Lol! All Kidding aside, I would probably jump on a new bike If they make it nice enough for me to get motivated. I'm not holding my breath though. They might just come out with a "special editions genII with the 1999 copper color and call it good.

If they do a Gen III it'd be great to see one in copper and silver. I agree with mabupa that having an alternate bike is good. My CBX certainly goes over a hundred but compared to the Busa...well, they both have their place in my riding enjoyment.

I love my gen 1. I would love to buy a new suzuki but they want way to much money for bikes now days. So I will stock to buying used bikes for half the price. But suzuki has been the slowest to respond to kawasaki zx10r and the bmw s1000rr. The zx14r is a great bike and way faster then a gen 2 busa. So I hope they do come out with something to beat the zx14r.

Look at the car market they going cray cray with the cars. Always changing looks but most importantly performance. It would be nice suzuki did that with the busa through out the years. Maybe up the compression, hotter cams, lighter wheels. Little things you know

2 years ago I test rode a new KTM 1290 SA. Which at the time was state of the art for Dually's and in fact trumped even the latest sport bikes for gizmo overload. I got back on my Bike afterwards and if I am being honest the only thing about the KTM I really couldn't live without was the brakes, which I have since remedied.

I have perhaps a very different view of what I would like to see in a new Hayabusa than many of those waiting to see whats next. The new GSX1000F is honestly, pretty close to the mark. The one thing I really want in a new bike is an intelligent cruise control. And none yet exist. My car has one and I can set it at 90MPH and regardless of what I or the car in front of me does, it will simply follow the car at a distance determined by a selector on the wheel. That would be cool! As far as the performance factor goes the current liter bikes are making far more power than my Busa ever did. But that is not the sole reason I bought a Hayabusa.

Years ago I made a list of things I wanted a bike to do. All of which was based on my then current ride (1985 GS1150ES). I wanted a fast, comfortable mile eater that not everyone had! My personal wish list then was not much different than it is now. I wanted Power, Brakes, Suspension, Comfort, aftermarket support, ease of Maintenance etc. At the time it boiled down to the Hayabusa or a Ducati ST4S. The maintenance factor killed the Ducati, though I still kind of want one as neither Suzuki or Ducati have since made a dedicated Hard core Sport-tourer. But I digress. The reason I was looking at those 2 bikes was I had made a list of what was really important to me personally, and I have yet to be disappointed in my Hayabusa except for the brakes as mentioned earlier. Molding a bike, or really any hobby object of your choosing is not for everyone. There will always be those who want a turn key, end all, be all solution. I am not one of those people. YMMV.

P.S. I am on my second cocktail of this St. Patty's day so...

A Gen3 Busa would be awesome to see but with the fresh GSXR1000's retailing for $19K ($22K for the RR) here in Canada, I can't imagine a tech'd up Gen3 Hayabusa being offered for much under $20K... and that's way too much cash for this guy.

I'm not sure the hyperbike segment can survive at such elevated prices but then Kawasaki sells every H2 and H2R it can make... time will tell.

When you have a bike which can outrun the vanilla Harley in 2nd gear, pushing the developmental envelope much further becomes a challenge.
Would love to see anyone do 100,000 miles on a H2.

I'm a cyclist and recently built a new bike, frame hand made in Italy, Campagnolo components from Italy, cost me more than a new Busa. This past Saturday, I did a 75 mile race on one of my 25 year old vintage bikes just for kicks. Really, I don't think there was much difference, other than the bling. It's all about marketing and making money. It may have weighed 4lbs more, but that probably helped going downhill.

I think motorcycles are the same, we have pretty much reached the point where power versus traction versus keeping the front wheel down is at the limit. What remains is the bling that attracts new buyers.

Last edited:
The thing is SUZUKI probably needs to plonk in a lot of cash and time into R&D for the new Hayabusa. The Gen 2 is one tough bike to beat and still more bike than 95% of the riding population needs. They would need a new set of electronics and some sort of forced induction to justify increased costs and compete with the 14r. Also, the litre class bikes have become as fast if not faster as the open class now and have a far greater market. Kawasaki going all out with with H2 and Yamaha with the R1 etc makes matters worse. Plus they have just come out with the all new thoroughly revised Gixxer. They probably have something in the pipeline but are probably working on the costs etc. No point coming out with a brand new bike that everybody gets a poster of but nobody can afford.I hope they come out with the Gen 3 in 2018 but I wont be betting my lunch on it.

Last edited:
Just looking to see if anyone has heard anything on the grape vine of Suzuki updating the old out dated Busa yet?

giphy.gif

Back