Is slightly over filled oil level really bad?

Status
Not open for further replies.

OB_Badagindo

Registered
The oil level window on the bike shows the oil level just 1/8 inch above the full level. Is this something i should immediately remedy?

I was going to let it cool, then loosen the pan bolt and let a bit leak out. Any better ideas?

Thanks!

if ur engine running temperatures are still the normal and u don't feel any drop in engine performance .. i'd leave it alone til the next oil change since the level gauge isn't fully covered up. But if u wanna play safe ... i think ur idea works.

Terence

It's better to be slightly over than under full with the oil level. As long as you are not over the top of the sight glass i would leave it alone. Also you may find the level will change somewhat every time you check it due to the ammonunt of oil in the oil cooler when you shut the bike off. I allways check mine cold. HTH Brian

If you notice any foaming of the oil drain the excess! Aerated oil does not lubricate well. Also, if the crank hits oil you lose power, this probably wouldn't happen in a newer style engine but it used to be a power killer. Oil control is better managed now as far as windage goes....

>>>I dissagree...I am no wrench by any streach, but my observations of cause and effect would indicate that overfilling puts stress on seals and will cause you to blow a seal...very unsavory...

Too much and you have foam, dump the oil and put in new. She deserves the best treatment you can give her in regards to service.

Maybe Dirty Pete will send CyberJosie over for the "Hapo suck job", since Fay is on here way to the Duc cave.............

It depends on if you have a 99 or a 00
If it is a 00 just above the lower line after the engine has ran for 3 mins. and sat for 5 mins.bike level NOT on side stand.if it is a 99 just below the upper mark.too much on a 00 and you will soak the air filter in oil.

I loosened the nut and let out about a third of a quart. The level is now perfect. I think they just dumped in 4 qts during the service.

1st whos out diggin in the org graveyard ?
10 year old thread......how in the world does one even find something like this ?

2nd whats with all the OBs ???

1st whos out diggin in the org graveyard ?
10 year old thread......how in the world does one even find something like this ?

2nd whats with all the OBs ???

Were going to have to call this a tie Blanca

I beat you on the 10 yr part you beat me on the OB part :laugh:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back