IPOD Shuffles and PC's

JINKSTER

I Love my Wife!
Donating Member
Registered
Otay my fellow spankies...here's the deal...I have 3 daughters and the oldest two are 14 and almost 13 years old and I just broke the news to them that there is no such thing as santa clause...why you ask?...and how could I be such a mean scrooge of a daddy?...well...because...

a. I don't wanna blow $500-$1,000 on a buch on meaningless crap to stuff under the tree just so it....looks like they got alot and...

b. I wanted to make certain that what I do get them is what they truely want and would love to have and use and...

c. I suspect at this age they already are well aware that santa is chasing the tooth fairy into the neverland known as childhood as...they are both becoming young ladies...quickly...sometimes too quickly.

anyways...I mulled over the sirius and XM personal satrad recievers and even downloaded a 3 day free trial of sirius and at a price of $329ea. for the personal recievers plus monnthly subscription fes which accompany such?...I decided that they'd both be better off if I bought them each a 1 gig Ipod Shuffle for $129 ea and then upgraded my oldest daughters 8 year old and antiquated pc with a newer far more capable pc so they can both share and download songs to their ipod shuffles...heck...I may even get an Ipod Shuffle as a christmas present for myself so....here's my two questions...

1. Are the Ipod Shuffles user friendly or complicated as heck and a PITA to use?

and....

2. Are the Ipod Shuffles loud/amplified enough that I could hear the music with the earbuds piped into my helmet while riding my busa?

T.I.A., Merry Christmas, and L8R, Bill.
cool.gif

Not sure about the Shuffels, but I have a 60 gig Photo Ipod. The thing is built like a tank, and simple to operate. I upgraded the stock headphones to a pair on Sony headphones that fit in the earcanal (sp)....anyhow, it is pleanty loud & my bike is running a Full Micron Exhaust. I like the aer buds Im using because it cuts down on the DB from the exhaust, however it is offset by tunes blaring in my ears.

The shuffles look cool, but I think I heard that some people had some issues with them...might wanna do a google search on that. All & All, I think your daughters would be thrilled to get such a nice present. And I think you would really like it for riding. I was thinking of going Xm or Sirus, but didnt want another subscriber fee ontop of all the other monthly fees I already pay. Hope this helps....Enjoy
cool.gif

I have the one gig Shuffle. It's easy to use and plenty loud for any situation. I use mine while I ride all the time!

i have an IRIVER 10gig can hear it fine with the ear buds there are some newer style buds that fit side your ear like ear plugs i have the sony they ran an extra 50 bucks , but well worth it the original style kinda started to hurt my ear after a while. i dont know about the ipod ? but it should be top of the line!!!!! with the sales autocom is having i might be switching to thier style speakers ! sweet deal 149 for the active 7 w/mp3/cellphone/radar /vox/gps/bike to bike all plugeed in the same system all ill be hookin up is cell and mp3 player so far!

1. Are the Ipod Shuffles user friendly or complicated as heck and a PITA to use?

and....

2. Are the Ipod Shuffles loud/amplified enough that I could hear the music with the earbuds piped into my helmet while riding my busa?

T.I.A., Merry Christmas, and L8R, Bill.
cool.gif
1. Yes, user friendly

2. Yes, loud enough

Merry Christmas

<!--EDIT|EastCoast
Reason for Edit: None given...|1133725178 -->

If you kept them believing in Santa that long you did good!

the shuffles are great. Easy to use and once you get used to iTunes, you will never use anything else.

I hope you realize that you can't control what song is playing. That would annoy the hell out of me. I would spend a little more and get a Nano or a smaller gig full IPOD. That way, you and the girls can create playlists and play what you feel like hearing at the time. Do it now or face the dreaded upgrade request from the girls in a year.

I have around 4,000 songs on my POd and probably 10 or 12 play lists. But that is how I am.

Im right there with you on that one Greg. I have just over 16 gigs of music loaded with about 30 playlist. A little something for every mood.

I would spend the extra 50 bucks on a nano, have a color screen and abilty to choose whats played.

But thats just me.

Josh

I've got a 40g RCA Lyra and use the Sony earbuds (the ones that go all the way in your ear). Love them....the other kind never stay in my ears right.

Can hear fine on the bike with my helmet on.......never tried it w/o my helmet. Makes long rides A LOT more enjoyable....Just put it on shuffle and it's like my own personal radio station.....WRUS.....1,300 of my favorite songs and counting. And NO commercials
smile.gif

<!--EDIT|Fonzie
Reason for Edit: None given...|1133978898 -->

just get them these from Radio shack:

pRS1C-2262290w345.jpg

- doesn't require feeding
- no subscription
- picks up FM
- cost $1.97!!!
biggrin.gif

the BATTERY is twice that price! hahhahaa

or here's one for $25 that LOOKS iPodish

pRS1C-2266734w345.jpg

... I obviously don't have kids
biggrin.gif

<!--EDIT|WWJD
Reason for Edit: None given...|1133982980 -->

biggrin.gif

We went through the same decisions Thanksgiving weekend when shopping for our (almost) 13 year old. She was dead set on an "Ipod", but dayummmmm $300 for one present.. *gulp*

After shopping and doing alot of research, we decided on a Creative Zen Nano Plus 1GB mp3 player. Its SIMPLE to use, has a ton of features, and plays ANYTHING. It also has an integrated FM tuner (Ipod Shuffle doesn't) so she can listen to the local hip hip station if she gets bored with the mp3 tunes. The sound quality (and quantity)is outstanding. Also, the reviews were highest in its class, beating out the shuffle at #3. For $140 it was the best bang for the buck.

The local techno-squid at Best Buy says he has heard of alot of return problems with the Ipod Nano's battery. *supposedly* It loses its charge memory after only a few weeks use (if not completely ran dead between charges).

Back