Interesting weight reduction read

I remember that article. Killboy was the photographer.

Good read I spent about 15 minutes just digging through all the differant hayabusa articles they got there

I missed it. Did they mention the total weight reduction from the stocker ? $9060.00 ( almost what you paid for the bike ) for parts. It could have been done a little cheaper and they could have reduced a few more pounds by going with the chrome short meg. The black finish use to be a $200 option. I only paid $1200 from memory for my short meg and PCIII loaded and ready to install.

Nice job, I'm just too practical I guess.

My feeling is for that much coin, go ahead and buy the GSXR instead of trying to make the Busa as light as one. Then you'll have both!

Too bad you can't get Dymag wheels anymore .
I've put on a Brocks AlienHead along with Marchesini forged magnesium wheels.
I replaced stock fender same as they did with just a little Ho-made bracket.
Along with a couple other small mods I weighed my bike fully fueled and it was right around 485-490 lbs.
Just riding it without weighing it you can tell a huge difference in how it feels and goes.

I missed it. Did they mention the total weight reduction from the stocker ? $9060.00 ( almost what you paid for the bike ) for parts. It could have been done a little cheaper and they could have reduced a few more pounds by going with the chrome short meg. The black finish use to be a $200 option. I only paid $1200 from memory for my short meg and PCIII loaded and ready to install.

Nice job, I'm just too practical I guess.

I looked at the prices too...Looks like they listed the retail prices...I pieced all of that together on my way and came up with waaaaay lower price

I believe that is actually a members bike now. It was built by I believe Rotts4U over on SH.org and he sold it for another project not long after completion. Have a search, lots of info on it... :beerchug:

Good read ... Big bucks to knock off those pounds however !!!!
My bikes biggest weight problem is me :whistle:
I think I will stick to my change the exhaust and stop eating so much damn pizza plan :-)

i think you can do it way cheaper. if you have any fab skills at all i know you can do it way cheaper. but like was stated above just buy a jixxer 1000. there all done.:beerchug:

lol....hmmmm there is a px90 thread going here....Maybe?:laugh:

Would really love to fit on a liter bike , but truth is I am contorted enough on the Busa . Got an old injuries list that are now mostly all due to be overhauled professionally , so there's that . Also , kind of portly ... 115 kg , down from 134 kg butt ... and nearly half ton in years and 6'3" tall ! Anyway , even not considering my moderately average skill set , there are plenty of reasons , excuses enough , to bypass that rabid short wheelbase 1000cc lot ! This is why I opted to weight reduce , and handling enhance the L2 , well ( read tried to ), as it happens , to build my personal ultimate streetbike !!! The article HellFire posted , is along the gist of what I have tried to do with my bike . I bought lightweight wheels , BST 's , with ceramic bearings . The front wheel features Braketech 330mm Ductile Rotors , with ti hardware . The calipers are Brembo .484 , running Fren Tubo lines up to Brembo RCS m/cyl . The overall weight of this setup is less than the corresponding original kit . I know the braking could of been beefed effectively using the standard calipers as the article bike had , or flip side to that , even more stellar kit obtained , but this was my choice of wheel / brake setup . The fork features Ohlins cartridges that have been sprung / set up for my weight . The front axle is titanium as is the rear , both modified by Fast Frank USA to a quick change axle , I had stored away from an old project . The whole front end runs full ti hardware and features carbon bars and rcs clutch m/cyl . The bike runs a Shorai battery and a DME aluminum subframe .These 2 items save over 5 kg alone , then I junked the standard passenger peg mounts , the standard rider foot peg assemblies . The gaps in tailpiece , left by the removed hangers are the ugly price , but worth it in my mind . Gilles rearsets are fitted , and here I have compromised a bit of comfort , 10 mm higher and 10 mm back positioned , but I find all discomfort disappears once I hit the twisties and am in the "zone" mode . Of course , really love the quality and light weight . I am currently running the older Ohlins S46 rear shock , again set up for my weight . The bike uses ti bolts , and aluminum throughout . Rear caliper Brembo P2 and Galfer semi floating rotor . The Brocks CT Meg full ti is very light , and performs well with my stock motor . The bike is due to go back to the dyno for some fine tuning in spring , but last short (couple of pulls ) visit was in summer , a warm 38 degrees Celsius in the dyno room that day and still made 183 bhp and 105 ft lb in that heat . The suspension is being updated over the winter break . I still haven't weighed her , but will get to it around spring when the new suspensions is fitted . Overall I find the bike very responsive to any input , while still maintaining that solid stability , with good turn in and thankfully forgiving mid corner braking manners . The bike feels like it could roll forever on those ceramic bearings , and responds to throttle inputs like a rocket . The brakes are outstanding , though the rotors rattle loud , I really love this combination . The Busa , when I first bought her , struck me as a really refined , well thought out motorcycle , with some really outstanding qualities and virtues ( such as that awesome motor and body shape ) , but as with most mass produced vehicles , suffering slightly from being built to a price . To me my bike is now even more refined , modified to my personal preference , albeit at considerable expense , and is certainly my ultimate streetbike . Cheers

DSCF1149.JPG

DSCF1145.JPG

Just a little tip The ABM top clamp / LSL handle bars is 4 pounds n change lighter than OEM top clamp . My bird went on a diet so I could add tour racks/bags while still being lighter than original wet weight .

Shori battery 8 lb saved
Titanium exhaust 36 lb saved
ABM top clamp 4 lb saved
Emissions removed 3 lb saved
Reg / rectifier bracket 2 lb saved
Belly wing
Grab bar / Bolts 2 lb saved
Tool Kit 2 lb saved
Misc . crap 2 lb saved
Titanium bolts
replacing OEM 1 lb

Net about 60 lb saved

Now I added 26 lb for racks / Givi V35 bags EMPTY , carry 7 to 26 lb of tools depending on length of trip / time / people with me .
Add my clothes , and my Bird is right back at stock weight , but has a few more HP than stock .

Big thing to Remember about me is I,m only 5 ' 1" tall @ 136 to 140 lb so its still plenty fast due to lighter than normal riders , and less wind drag due to size . I rode Ram Jam for the first time with no bags / racks / tools / gear in over a year , and nearly 10,000 miles .
Wow it was Quick ! :)

My old ZRX1200R was 542 stock/wet 113 hp , 84 Tq
Many years later it was 395 Wet 145 hp , 87 Tq

I plan on when Chain/sprockets wear out going with super sprox to save a few pounds , and Rotors later to save a pound or two .
Over all I'm done trimming weight off her .

20170617_190003_zpscwvmityx.jpg

Tour mode below

20170408_100540_HDR_zps8aev5v0g.jpg

Top clamp with Ti bolts

20161012_172706_zpsihtmvtqj.jpg

Ti Hardware

20161011_195113_zpsvapy2boj.jpg
[/URL]
20161011_194926_zps8w8lrlic.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Back