Intercooler

Which picture shows the air/water intercooler? I didn't see it here.

If your modifying your existing plenum what do you plan to use in the plenum for the exchange of heat.

if you go to my FB page, it should be the at the very top left picture. I just pulled it out of the box iit shipped to me in. I have not fabbed anything up yet, my welder is on vacation for the past few weeks. The intercooler will be fabricated into an intake plenum, similar to RCC's ultra plenum.

I am going to post some drawings on my FB page soon. If you are intrested here is the link. it is a public photo gallery so anyone with or without a FB account may view it.

Turbo Bike Setup | Facebook

That picture is of an oil cooler, not an intercooler. Yes, an intercooler from RCC is $1200, and well worth it. Keep in mind that if you hang an intercooler in front of your radiator, you will not be able to slam your front end, and usually have to partially cut your front fender for clearance. You will also be blocking your bike's stock radiator, and may incur some adverse cooling issues as a result.

That is why the Ultra plenum has so many fans (on the high end), and water injection is so popular - more affordable. FYI!:laugh:

Not 100% true, Seb from NLR posted a pic of an RCC style air/air on a bike that was slammed as low as a prostreet bike, and its still had plenty of clearence...And this was WITH stock trees, and frame. Alls he did was weld on brackets that moved the core as far up as possible, and that eliminated the rubbing issues completely. :thumbsup:

Not 100% true, Seb from NLR posted a pic of an RCC style air/air on a bike that was slammed as low as a prostreet bike, and its still had plenty of clearence...And this was WITH stock trees, and frame. Alls he did was weld on brackets that moved the core as far up as possible, and that eliminated the rubbing issues completely. :thumbsup:

The A/A intercooler, and the intercooler that is supplied for the A/W setup from RCC WILL interfere with your ability to slam the front end, and require trimming the front fender, as I stated. That these items could be modified, and/or mounted differently than originally intended is no surprise to me, and the fact that Seb accomplished this on a prostreet bike is no surprise to me as well. Sebastian has always been on top when it comes to turbo fabrication, and is definately a leader in this field.

Gotta be careful, though - there are a lot of "bolt-on" customers out there with no fabrication skills to speak of. When "off-the-shelf" products are referenced, they need to know what to expect . . .:poke:

The A/A intercooler, and the intercooler that is supplied for the A/W setup from RCC WILL interfere with your ability to slam the front end, and require trimming the front fender, as I stated.

Air/air yes, liq/air should get you at 3" off the ground with a 1" pan, but you will need to remove the tabs on the bottom of the factory rad and pull the rad all the way back. We have used the liq/air on bikes very low

Richard

Keep in mind a street bike will not be 3" off the ground with a 1" pan, but here is a bike with a cut factory rad in stock location, with the heat exchanger hanging in front of it,

blackracebike005.jpg

blackracebike019.jpg

blackracebike020.jpg

I saw some of the comments above and its kinda surprising to me that the ideas that were said are some of the exact same ides that i already had planned... I.E.. cutting those tabs off the RAD to allow it to swing back a little more towards the block....fabricating little metal tabs to allow the heat exchanger to be mounted inline with the stock RAD.. possibly moving the RAD up into the bike a little more than it is now... all great ideas... all ideas that i am trying to accomplish

True frank, but most people that have the skill to install a kit like what's pictured probably have the ability to make some longer tabs to raise the core higher, and cut an inch or two out of the right side charge pipe, and add it over on the left side, and perhaps spin the compressor housing a bit to keep it straight.
dd6dd346.jpg

Slammed.

A friend produce this intercoolers at home.(bell intercoolers)
1st pic
1 playing at the moment with a project core (bell intercolers)
which is the maximum to get inside (original tank no cut to the frame)
My big advance is i go from top to bottom and back and back over the whole
width of the core like an S. So there is more heat exchange
If this is ready next 2-3 weeks i send another pictures

2nd pic

MAX

WK Plenum.JPG

IMG_25721.jpg

I hope you realize if that core you are using is rated for 350hp, running the charge air through it like an "S" will drop its rating and also create a big pressure drop across the core. If the core does not drop the intake temps. enough pushing the charge air through it the core is sized wrong. There are a lot of R&D involved in getting it right, good luck.

Richard

I hope you realize if that core you are using is rated for 350hp, running the charge air through it like an "S" will drop its rating and also create a big pressure drop across the core. If the core does not drop the intake temps. enough pushing the charge air through it the core is sized wrong. There are a lot of R&D involved in getting it right, good luck.

Richard

No no sorry my english that was a misunderstand with the
water i go like an S up down up down for air flow full diameter
straight.
I just don´t like the water from left to right or right to left
that´s wrong because so always one side get hot air about this
i go from top to bottom and back and back and so on this
starting from stacks side to the inlet side over the full width.

Hope now it´s clear.

MAX

No no sorry my english that was a misunderstand with the
water i go like an S up down up down for air flow full diameter
straight.
I just don´t like the water from left to right or right to left
that´s wrong because so always one side get hot air about this
i go from top to bottom and back and back and so on this
starting from stacks side to the inlet side over the full width.

Hope now it´s clear.

MAX

If one side gets hot air pushing the water from side to side, you need a higher flow pump, and if going from side to side leaves one side with hot air, what do you think happens when you push the same water through the core 3 times?

Richard

If i don´t use a smaller diameter like the in or outlet or the silicon tube
inside the net of the intercooler nothing is happen about the flow rate of the water ...the only thing is with this single seperation of the waterflow to the
net i got all water real circulate and not only the water which is in the best
flow....i will get a higher speed through the intercooler net and this is positve
for we.

Sorry if nobody get it what i think, but that´s the best explain what i can do
in english.

MAX

P.S. The core i´m using is 9,25"X4"X5,3"
9,25X4 for the Air lenght 5,3 flow direction
9,25X5,3(in four chapters) Water lenght 4 flow direction
I never saw a bigger one in a Busa without modi anything.
(Frame, Tank, etc.)

There have been some really nice self built inner coolers that have been put in place of headlight and cut out a little more. The best appearing one I think was the one where they made 2 finned coolers stuck them in air scoops and hooked them together with a hose. I can't say how well the scoops worked but they had to help.:thumbsup:

I know what your talking about, but those weren't innercoolers, those were heat exchangers for the ultra plenum.
There is an intercooler with its body behind the headlight and fed by the ram air tubes
Not all have to be cookie cutter to work (not meant to honk anyone off)
I love to see innovation

No love lost man,

I'm soooooo new to the turbo thing that I often forget that there are several different reasons someone is trying to cool their bike down, horsepower being the main reason.

I just assumed that you were looking for cooler temps, sorry about that. I'm personally building a daily driver that I am trying to cool down from stop light to stop light (parade style stuff, lol) I originally dismissed the idea of an intercooler because the air to air would not help in this type of environment and I believe the other route is a little $$$!

Good luck with the intercooler and if you do end up with a heat exchanger as well please post up some pics of the install and what it does for the bike.

Either way, good luck :beerchug:

I found an used Mocal oil/water heat exchanger that i am using to cool the oil now.

As far as intercoolers go, i have scrapped my custom design, and have gone another direction, ill post pics when i get the parts in..

Back