Installed class II hitch receiver - what a PITA!

IG.

Registered
That's for the car - Dodge Intrepid. I suspected this wouldn't be easy, but dang! Spent good part of the weekend, probably 6 - 7 hours altogether.

First, the ramps I got from JC Whitney were a bit defective. While the manufacturer (which I contacted) thinks what to do, I didn't have patience and bent a few things, used a sledge hammer to fit the incline with the stand itself, and got them to work. So, could lift the rear of the car by about 8" for better access. Otherwise, the ramps look rock solid, and I hope to use them for the front, so I will be changing the oil/filter myself.

Then, I had to drill two 1.5" holes from the trunk side so I can slide in a couple of bolts. That actually went pretty good. Turned out the metal in the trunk was pretty soft, and the hole saw went through in less than a minute.

The most difficult part was to align the thing and get the bolts through. That thing is made of thick steel and is pretty heavy - around 40 lbs - not something you can hold with one hand in an odd position. Took so much time, and all kinds of body positions, a couple of chairs, etc. LOL. Some wholes were not aligned exactly, so it took some wiggling and banging. Then tightening them all just a couple of clicks at a time because of tight space. Then, double check, and triple check. Had to remove the exhaust canister from the hanger. Putting it back was tough, so my wife was laying and pointing me while I was pulling the exhaust and trying to get it back on the rubber hanger.

Finally done! Whew. Tired but happy. No time to ride this weekend because of that, but that's OK. Put the ball mount in. Stepped on it, rocked the car up and down. Feels sturdy.

Will get 1 7/8" and 2" balls, and I will be ready to look for a used trailer. If I don't find one, I will probably get the Harbor Freight 4x8 discussed in another thread.

Some of them can be a pita...A little late for this advice, but I have found that for about a $10 - $20 difference in price can make for a lot of difference in drilling, at least for trucks...might have to drill a good bit anyway for cars

The more expensive hitch (when you have options from places such as Advance Auto) seems to have the holes drilled in the more accurate spots, or is more of a universal fit~!~

Glad you got it ready...did you go with the carrier that slides into the hitch~?~

pull into Uhaul... give them the money and walk away... :)

You are telling me now! :banghead:

I would gladly pay. On the other hand, I took my time and made sure everything was done right. Just glad it's in the past.

Some of them can be a pita...A little late for this advice, but I have found that for about a $10 - $20 difference in price can make for a lot of difference in drilling, at least for trucks...might have to drill a good bit anyway for cars

The more expensive hitch (when you have options from places such as Advance Auto) seems to have the holes drilled in the more accurate spots, or is more of a universal fit~!~

Glad you got it ready...did you go with the carrier that slides into the hitch~?~

It's Curt Mfg. and I should say the quality and the precision is pretty good. There was no way to avoid drilling which turned out to be quick. But I had a couple of things bent under the car - small stuff, but had to deal with that. Clearance between the receiver and the tank about 3 mm - I kid you not.

I think trucks are more ready for the receiver installation vs. cars because they are more likely to be used for hauling, and usually they have more space to play with.

Now, what does it mean "the carrier that slides into the hitch"? ??? I have no idea.

Didn't you have another thread talking about the front tire carrier and then maybe mention something like this one~?~

122_0902_04_z+motorcycle_hauling_essentials+smc600_motorcycle_hitch_carrier.jpg

Yes, I was. But multiple voices of reason convinced me to give up on the front tire carrier.

No, I didn't mention this bike carrier. First, my car can only handle class II hitch receiver which is good up to 350 LB tongue weight. Second, it would be too risky to load a 'Busa like that.

I am eyeing the Harbor Freight trailer, 1195 lb capacity, mentioned in the other thread. It seems to be just the right size. And being able to fold it for storage (even outdoors) is a plus. So, if I don't find a used one, I will get this one. Which reminds me, I need to ask for someone to give me a 20% off coupon code from "The Rifleman" magazine mentioned in the other thread.

Back