Input shaft slighty sticks when rotated slowly...

S2LR

Registered
Guys,

I have an 08 Busa that I'm doing some clutch work on. I've pulled the inner hub and clutch basket out so that the input shaft is exposed. With the transmission in neutral and the rear wheel off the ground, I notice that the input shaft slightly sticks when I rotate it back and forth by hand very slowly. When I do this, I notice the rear wheel is rotating...in neutral! If I spin the input shaft fast back and forth, then the input shaft breaks free, spinning freely, and the rear wheel stays stationary as expected in neutral. Is this normal behavior?

I've never seen this happen before on other bikes I've worked on. Usually the input shaft spins freely and loosely while in neutral no matter how fast I spin it by hand. The Busa input shaft/tranny seems to feel a bit sticky when I spin it slowly. Also, how is it possible that the rear wheel moves when I spin the input shaft slowly with the tranny in neutral? Is this normal or should there be cause for concern?

I hope what I'm trying to describe here makes sense.

If anyone has any input on this, it would be appreciated...

Not much help, but if I put the rear on a stand and idle the bike in neutral, my rear wheel slowly gains momentum. Perhaps this is related?

Not much help, but if I put the rear on a stand and idle the bike in neutral, my rear wheel slowly gains momentum. Perhaps this is related?

I have had several bikes do this, including the Busa. I'm not sure why, but no doubt one of the more tech-minded members will give the reason soon.

If it was a GM vehcile I'd be able to help you...of course why would that beon this site..hope you figure it out bro:thumbsup:

Thanks for the inputs so far.

I'm surprised no one else has felt this. I guess unless you pull your clutch plates out and spin the inner hub with your hand, you would not notice it. I first thought it was a problem with the inner hub but everything's removed down to the input shaft and I still have the sticky feeling on slow rotation. There's no grinding or anything like that...it just feels sticky when I rotate the shaft slowly. It almost feels like there's a bushing that is not oiled or that something is too tight.

I did see in my owner's manual that there's a "friction ring" that sits on the tranny countershaft. Would this cause what I'm feeling on the input shaft? Perhaps tranny experts can chime in here.

Hopefully someone else will respond and tell me it's normal for this bike. Like I've said before, I've torn other bikes apart and have not felt this stickiness in the input shaft of the tranny. They've all spun freely no matter how fast or slow I spin the input shaft.

Any ideas on why the rear wheel is turning when I turn the input shaft with the tranny in neutral? Let me restate that this only happens when I rotate slowly. If I rotate the input shaft back and forth quickly, it breaks free and the rear wheel remains stationary as it should.

Sorry for the lengthy post. I just want others to understand what's going on...

I think it's definitely related...but I don't know why it does it. Isn't neutral really neutral? I'm confused...:confused2:

It is interesting with the bike in neutral...if the gear position disengages the crank to trans it would not matter if the trans to rear wheel were a fixed system because the power would not be transfered to the ground...it would freewheel...of course I could be completely wrong

Its something about pressure inside the cavity causing a friction and making the rear wheel turn in neutral, even if by hand. I'm not sure of the specifics but its completely normal with any cassette type gearbox. If you have it idling and the tire moves, you can put your hand on it and make it stop, of course, once you move your hand it will rotate again. It is normal though :beerchug:

Back