Importance of good safety gear

ddd269

Registered
Hi guys... I wanted to comment about the importance of good riding gear. I know that this has been discussed many times but figured a refresher with my own experience couldn't hurt.

It happened in January of this year. I had a track day and had run about 2 tank full of gas before I decided to head home. All my friends had taken their bikes on trailers but I rode my bike because I had to leave earlier than them.

To make long story short... on the way back I was exhausted and felt sleepy. I miscalculated an exit and slid on some dirt and pebbles near the edge of pavement. The bike and I slid about 20 ft or so and I hit a curb, head first.

I was lucky to hit the curb with my helmet at a glancing blow (upwards) and not at a right angle. All in all I ended up with a headache, stiff neck and a few road rash. I was lucky that I had full gear when it happened and not my normal street stuff. It took me a few weeks for the pain to go away but I'm really happy that I walked away from this.

I think I mentioned on a related thread about the accident but haven't posted anything in detail until now because I wanted this to settle in my mind.

3 weeks after this, I low sided on this same track... on the same curb with a friend's Ducati Monster 696. Great month! So, I learned my lesson... Don't ride when you're tired, wear good equipment, and buy a track bike that you can crash and forget about. So I bought a 2005 GSXR750 :cheerleader:

Here are the pics.

On the track... a few hours before the accident

DSC_2111.jpg

DSC_2115.jpg

Bike after the accident

photo-46.jpg

photo-45.jpg

photo-44.jpg

My equipment...

photo-40.jpg

photo-43.jpg

photo-42.jpg

Holding my daughter at the end of this ordeal...

photo-48.jpg

It was great to hold my daughter at the end of that same day and can't explain how thankful I was to be able to do that...

My equipment list on that day: Premier Dragon Carbon Helmet, Teknic Mercury Jacket, AGV Sport Willow Perforated Pants, Sidi Power Gloves, Sidi Vertigo Boots.

All the equipment performed extremely well. The only equipment that I felt that performed under par was the Teknic Mercury Jacket. I know it wasn't meant to be used as a track jacket but with the weather hot as it was (January is summer in the southern hemisphere) it was the right jacket to have on that day. The inner arm is made of a fabric material and the part where the leather and the fabric met, tore up (see photo). Also, the perforated goat leather didn't hold up very well. Don't get me wrong, I'm still glad that I got the protection that it provided... as a matter of fact, I'm ordering another one for the summer season.

I LOVE that you posted that last photo of you and your daughter because whenever I ride, I think of my two boys. It does help keep me in check, but we're all human and we all make mistakes. I'm just so thankful that you had on your gear. Your helmet took on helluva hit and had that been your head............I just love that photo of you both!!! How amazing the ending to that day was, considering how it could have been.

Great reminder!!! Thanks so much for sharing your story and reminding us these things happen to anyone, at anytime.

:bowdown:

Wow....glad you had on your gear.
That pic of the helmet sends it home....and kept you at home with your girl:thumbsup:

I have a pic of my daughter on my key chain as a reminder....

Thank you all for your kind words.

I still ride and will probably will never give up riding. You'll read my comments and posts on other threads, that I still ride pretty hard. It's in my blood, I guess. Never the less, it has helped me realize, a little more, what precious in life.

Looks like a Master Card commercial

Track Day $300 (or what ever it costs!)
Bike Crash damage $1500
Helmet, gloves and jacket $1200
Snuggle with daughter PRICELESS

Glad your ok....

Looks like a Master Card commercial

Track Day $300 (or what ever it costs!)
Bike Crash damage $1500
Helmet, gloves and jacket $1200
Snuggle with daughter PRICELESS

Glad your ok....

I tell ya, the rest of the day was as if I was floating on air (kind of like if I was a shadow of myself). Everything was surreal. The cuddle and her falling asleep in my arms was all like a dream. Maybe because my brain got rocked. :laugh: It was good non-the-less.

Thank you! :thumbsup:

Back