I'm a Former U.S. Marine and this just sux..

Many times, when an E-1, 2, 3 slacks off, the troops "straighten him out" with whatever interactive measures. That's what the team does, I know that. My point is this....the level of this young man's performance was clearly out of that league. The chain of command should have kicked in with both feet. You don't remedy a chronic "sleeper on guard duty" with social and peer ostrasization, you take him off his post and the system kicks in. Where was the OD during these awful breeches of security?
One time a fellow Marine refused to shower and he stunk. We showered him, even used a straw broom and ajax.....he became a clean Marine and stayed that way. A couple of Corporals knew what happened and that's where it stayed. If that's what some are talking about, fine, but NOT for sleeping on guard duty, that's the civilian equivilant of bank robbery. If SUPERVISION had taken responsibility for this Marine at the right time, no other Marines would be involved like this. There is no such thing as another PFC or L/Cpl exercising "low level discipline" authorized in the UCMJ.

Back