If you had $1000 to build the most capable Gen2 touring bike, what would you do?

Ever thought about putting some orange paint on your trailer? Being all black I have to believe that what ever is in there gets pretty hot.

I also have a ¾" riser and the Heli bars. So 1 eighth inch taller that what you now have. :laugh:

The only 2 drawbacks to the Spiegler setup is that it covers the steering stem hole and the high price.

When I first bought it the intent was to paint it to match the bike, however after talking to several of the local body shops I trust, they could not guarantee a complete match of the candy max orange. Even one that had used color rite paint said it isn't an exact match. One shop offered to spray test panels and adjust until it was close. And so far I have not noticed the black being excessively hot.

I think I am going to start with the Helibars and run a small spacer to start with. Thanks to a couple local members I have located used corbin front and rear seats. I hope the MRA windscreen is very very useful because damn it is ugly. Unfortunately I think the trailer will be outside of my price range at this point, I might just find a nice tank bag to roll with this year. I'm also planning on a set of lowered foot pegs RAM mount for my phone and a a throttlemeister.

If you want you can try my ZG touring windscreen on your bike, and the MRA. For me the ZG had far to much buffeting and caused bobble head when 2 up, the MRA buffets about half as much and doesn't cause bobble head, and in my opinion looks better that the ZG touring.

Here's the ZG touring on and my old luggage setup.

johntrip024.jpg

With my height buffeting always seems to be an issue. Even on my old mans Harley it's a constant problem. Honestly I have debated just throwing on a double or regular ZG shield and just riding exposed. I have ridden primarily Supermotos and my Ducati the last couple years so I am very use to it. How was that luggage setup for you? I would like to do something like that with the exception of a tank bag in lieu of the tail bag since I will be two up a lot of the time. I don't need much, change of clothes and some refreshments.

With my height buffeting always seems to be an issue. Even on my old mans Harley it's a constant problem. Honestly I have debated just throwing on a double or regular ZG shield and just riding exposed. I have ridden primarily Supermotos and my Ducati the last couple years so I am very use to it. How was that luggage setup for you? I would like to do something like that with the exception of a tank bag in lieu of the tail bag since I will be two up a lot of the time. I don't need much, change of clothes and some refreshments.

That is the route I took. I use a double bubble or regular height screen

Went and looked at the bike I was suppose to be buying today and the seller wouldn't sell it to me for the price we had already agreed upon... Back to square one.

Went and looked at the bike I was suppose to be buying today and the seller wouldn't sell it to me for the price we had already agreed upon... Back to square one.

If you want it, keep working on him. Even if you had to pay the $ it is listed for it would still be a steal!

With the weather we had today we wouldn't have been able to get the bike from their shop into my truck anyways. We decided that I would stop by, check the bike out and talk about it. It was a young kids bike and I didn't meet his dad until we got there. Knowing that I wasn't going to be purchasing the bike today I didn't want to push the issue and come off as offensive. Just put a bad taste in my mouth. I am pretty sure if I go back with a ramp and the money in my hand I can still get it for the original price.

If it doesn't work out there are more fish in the pond! I went up to Dillons with my girlfriend today and sat on a few different bikes. It's definitely going to be a Gen2 or a new ZX14R.

Picked up a Corbin saddle from a local member tonight. Haven't found a bike yet but it's not going to stop me from collecting parts!

Same guy has a magnetic Cortech tank bag I might pick up from him and a set of Cortech saddle bags.

I got an offer I couldn't refuse for the Gen1 that I currently own and $3000. Looking back it was a mistake to get rid of it but at the time it was hard to turn down the money since I had just bought a new Ducati and wanted a little extra cash to throw some mods on it. My girlfriend isn't nearly as happy on the back of my Gen1 and we are looking to do a lot of touring this year. A well set up Gen2 is the last step before looking at a, dare I say it... Harley.

I got an offer I couldn't refuse for the Gen1 that I currently own and $3000. Looking back it was a mistake to get rid of it but at the time it was hard to turn down the money since I had just bought a new Ducati and wanted a little extra cash to throw some mods on it. My girlfriend isn't nearly as happy on the back of my Gen1 and we are looking to do a lot of touring this year. A well set up Gen2 is the last step before looking at a, dare I say it... Harley.

:thumbsup:

I think after owning a few good bikes a Hardley would be a disappointment.

Anything with two wheels is good in it's own right. :beerchug:

We're also buying my girlfriend her first bike this spring so a shuffling of the fleet is in order. I can't remember the last time I owned less than three of them, haha.

Just to update, started buying/collecting parts and then the deal for the bike I was buying fell out from under me. I was very displeased. Needless to say I am scrambling to find something and have it set up by the time spring and prime riding season gets here.

Still planning on getting out west a bit to pick up some parts and sit on mr Flatlandbusa's bike.

Leave the bike bone stock, buy some tires, filters, oil, a spare chain and save the rest for gas. :laugh:

FWIW, I have Helibars, Buell Pegs, Corbin seat, MRA adjustable windscreen (I currently run a Puig double bubble, but if I'm going on a bigger trip, I choose the MRA) Givi V35 bags, SW Motech rack, I have a topcase for more luggage if needed, Throttlemeister for "cruise" and that's really about it.
There's plenty of write-ups in the touring section on here.

FWIW, I have Helibars, Buell Pegs, Corbin seat, MRA adjustable windscreen (I currently run a Puig double bubble, but if I'm going on a bigger trip, I choose the MRA) Givi V35 bags, SW Motech rack, I have a topcase for more luggage if needed, Throttlemeister for "cruise" and that's really about it.
There's plenty of write-ups in the touring section on here.

Don't think he will get much change back if he tries to match your setup with a thousand dollars.:laugh:

Back