If you had $1000 to build the most capable Gen2 touring bike, what would you do?

KyleJ

Registered
Looking to get a bike to do some riding with my family, they are all Harley people and I am always the ugly Busa/ZX14 riding duckling of the group. Most the riding we do is one to two day trips. Usually ride a couple hours and stop for fuel, meals, pictures and that kind of thing. I am not a cross country rider. Luggage isn't a big issue. I am big, 6'4 and 250lbs geared up. I am selling my Gen1 and going back to a Gen2 or a new ZX14R. Obviously I can get a lot more bike for the money with a Gen2 Busa so that is what I am focusing my attention to. Whatever I start with will have exhaust and PCM tuning done but stock otherwise.

$1000 budget. What would you do?

If you want to see a Busa set up for touring take a road trip about 100 miles west. :thumbsup:

For a $1000 I would put heli bars and a 5/8 or 3/4 inch riser on, throttlemeister throttle lock, MRA vario wind screen. Corbin seat, a mount for GPS, a BR3 USB outlet for a GPS or phone. If there is any money left upgrade the stock bulbs to HID and put the clearwater led lights down on the forks.

Exactly what he said ^^^

Maybe look into that Buell foot peg mod everybody does 4 a more relaxed position. Maybe buy 1 of those aluminum fuel containers. They are like the size of a water bottle and I think less than $30. Don't know the bikes your riding with Mpg but it's a cheap insurance policy in case your running low

I'd also buy some maintenance supplies like chain lube, lemon pledge 2 wipe down the fairings with so bugs/debris don't stick

$1000 ?

I'd bin the fairing, fit some Moto-X bars and wheelie off into the distance
after deciding I just couldn't face plodding about with pedestrian paced Harley's.

Oh, hang on, that's what I do most weekends... LOL

Post some pics flatland! I'd love to see some of the setups you guys are using.

I forgot mirror spacers,

DSC01050.jpg

Mount guys GPS case and mount, volt meter, with the clearwater lights dimmer knob next to it.

DSC01049.jpg

DSC01045.jpg

I don't have many pics with the MRA wind screen on, but you get the idea.
For me it is the only windscreen that doesn't cause terrible buffeting/head bobble at some speed.

IMG_1429.jpg

If the issue is comfort, put the cash there with bar risers, seats, gps ect

If the issue is performance put the money there, it all depends on what you are wanting to change.

-D

We are about the same stats. I'd go with the ABM/Spiegler bar set up. Buell foot pegs and a good seat. As in for a windscreen, I prefer the lower screens. Way too much buffeting with the higher windscreens.

I've set up my '14 for touring - Corbin saddle, MRA windscreen on my ZG double bubble, ABM/Spiegler bar mod, Shrieking Banshee horn/headlight mod, motolight ultra-bright radial mount driving lights, Prooiler (don't have to stop and lube up!), BackOff! flashing brake light, buell peg lowering mod, throttlemeister (though I'm seriously going to do an electronic cruise control this next summer) mirror spacers and GSXR 1000 mirrors, bursig mount and stand, SAE plugs to my tank bag (and another up to the handlebars for accessories) to name the big headline items. I use my phone for GPS/Music etc with my Nolan N104 helmet with the B4 bluetooth set up for audio/phone calls etc. Luggage, I'm holding off trying to decide between Givi bags/top case and a trailer...

Really comfortable for long rides, but that's way more than $1K... Like someone said, pick which is most important for you. For me, the handlebars, seat, foot pegs, throttlemeister, windscreen and Vario MRA make the most difference in surviving a long ride (800 miles or so on a longish day for me). Everything else is just safety/additional comfort/ease of maintenance.

Does anyone other than Corbin make a passenger seat with a backrest?

There are some used backrests floating around here and ebay etc. 4get who but somebody used 2 make backrests that would somehow bolt onto the busa. A Lot of people bought em so they must've been sturdy

So you are using the helibars in conjunction with a riser setup? What's everyone using for basic soft bags? Thanks for the help everyone, looking to have a nice touring mount set up by spring!

So you are using the helibars in conjunction with a riser setup? What's everyone using for basic soft bags? Thanks for the help everyone, looking to have a nice touring mount set up by spring!

Yes, Helibars + a riser. I ran a 1 1/4" riser for years then about 2 years ago I installed the Helibars and took the riser to a local machine shop and had it milled down to 5/8". The brake lever just touches the fairing at full lock.

I used to run a pair of fieldsheer saddle bags with a tail bag, however taping up the tail of the bike to prevent scratching grew old. Also the way the GEN2 tail is shaped made it hard to get the bags tight enough so they remained secure on rough roads. And the capacity wasn't enough when I took the tail bag off so the wife could go with.

People are probably going to get tired of me sharing this pic. :laugh: This is how all my luggage gets carried now.

DSC01043.jpg

Lots of guys buy Helibars - but they probably don't go "touring" (at least like I define it) as often as I try to, and Helibars, well, they're a huge and cheap improvement over stock, but truly, the next level (highest level) of comfort are the Spiegler ABM handlebars.

Check out the difference in riding position/weight off your wrists as seen in this video. I simply cannot recommend them highly enough!

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, Helibars + a riser. I ran a 1 1/4" riser for years then about 2 years ago I installed the Helibars and took the riser to a local machine shop and had it milled down to 5/8". The brake lever just touches the fairing at full lock.

I used to run a pair of fieldsheer saddle bags with a tail bag, however taping up the tail of the bike to prevent scratching grew old. Also the way the GEN2 tail is shaped made it hard to get the bags tight enough so they remained secure on rough roads. And the capacity wasn't enough when I took the tail bag off so the wife could go with.

People are probably going to get tired of me sharing this pic. :laugh: This is how all my luggage gets carried now.

DSC01043.jpg

Ever thought about putting some orange paint on your trailer? Being all black I have to believe that what ever is in there gets pretty hot.

I also have a ¾" riser and the Heli bars. So 1 eighth inch taller that what you now have. :laugh:

The only 2 drawbacks to the Spiegler setup is that it covers the steering stem hole and the high price.

I think I am going to start with the Helibars and run a small spacer to start with. Thanks to a couple local members I have located used corbin front and rear seats. I hope the MRA windscreen is very very useful because damn it is ugly. Unfortunately I think the trailer will be outside of my price range at this point, I might just find a nice tank bag to roll with this year. I'm also planning on a set of lowered foot pegs RAM mount for my phone and a a throttlemeister.

Back