I want to buy a good tire compressor!

wuggzwest

Registered
Ladies and Gents,

I am sick of filling my tires up with air at the local gas stations. I would like to get a fair priced Tire Compressor to use in my garage. Iv looked online and there are so many Im not sure which to go with. Iv noticed Sears Craftsman has a decent line (or so it looks decent). What would you recommend? Im not really looking to spend over $ 150.00 . I have the Slime little compact one, but in all honesty its garbage. It doesn't even have a gauge on it and it takes forever. I want something legit for the garage. Thanks for the help in advance.

any compressor should do the important thing is that most pressure gauge on a compressor will not be as accurate as you like it to be. So you will always need a good gauge.

tire gauge accurate.jpg

Well I appreciate the info, but that doesn't help much. I need to know what the gents on the Org are using so I can buy something good. Also which pressure gauge is that, and which do you recommend?

Anything just to air tires is fine. But having something with enough power to run an airgun is always nice, and should still be inexpensive.

Ask 10 people, get 10 different answers. If you want something small and dependable, and just for airing tires, maybe the occasional air tool, Sears is fine. They make good stuff, it'll work well and last a long time. A Sears or Craftsman brand should also make it easy to get replacement parts in the unlikely event you ever need them.

Thats true. Iv been leaning towards sears since I saw what they put out earlier tonight. I was just interested to see what people have on the org. What about pressure gauge? Any recommendations?

Thats true. Iv been leaning towards sears since I saw what they put out earlier tonight. I was just interested to see what people have on the org. What about pressure gauge? Any recommendations?

Nah, all in what you wanna spend. There is some junk out there, but I've checked a couple Advance auto cheapos against a Snap-on kinda like the one above, and they read within a pound. Unless your hardcore, and into half pound adjustments, something from the parts store will do.

I personally use my pancake compressor (made for nail guns but it's more of my utility compressor) more for little things like that than the big one. Running the big one requires it to be drained every time for proper maintenance which takes even more time. My little Bosch pancake charges in about 25-30 seconds and has ample air to do the tires without even having to kick back on. Only thing the little guy won't do is air tools that need large volumes of air such as paint guns, air chisel, impact, sanders, etc.

With a price point of $150 your best bet honestly is going to be looking at Ebay or Craigslist for a local pickup of a used unit that's been taken very good care of. Anything under $200 is probably going to limit you to a 6-7 gallon or less. 20 gallons is about the minimum to remain functional for higher use items like impacts. Sears does have all their compressors on sale right now, but even on sale there's not much in that price range available.

I found one on my local CL that's a 26 gallon used under 3 hours, looks brand new and they're only asking $185 - that's the kind of deal you need to be on the lookout for. Paying full retail would be over $300 plus tax.

Last edited:
Got this from COSTCO for around $70: PowerStation PSX Multi-Purpose Rugged Vehicle Utility
* Jumpstarter / DC Power Source
* Air Compressor
* Work Light
* 1000 Peak Amps

31knG%2BRgBzL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Last edited:
Well I appreciate the info, but that doesn't help much. I need to know what the gents on the Org are using so I can buy something good. Also which pressure gauge is that, and which do you recommend?

My apologizes craftmen 1.5 150 psi have it for it's small size portable an cheap :laugh: there are a lot better compressors for not that much more money out there.

I got this as a kit with 2 nail guns, a stapler, and "ammo" for under $300. This is just the unit. Mine sits near the garage door turned on, it has only "repressurized" if I am using it or leave the tire inflater attached. It's a good value if you do minor home improvement work as well. :beerchug:

885911004619lg.jpg

Porter-Cable pancake

Last edited:
If your talking garage and portable, check out VIA AIR .
Ladies and Gents,

I am sick of filling my tires up with air at the local gas stations. I would like to get a fair priced Tire Compressor to use in my garage. Iv looked online and there are so many Im not sure which to go with. Iv noticed Sears Craftsman has a decent line (or so it looks decent). What would you recommend? Im not really looking to spend over $ 150.00 . I have the Slime little compact one, but in all honesty its garbage. It doesn't even have a gauge on it and it takes forever. I want something legit for the garage. Thanks for the help in advance.

Back