HOW TO WIRE A HID DELAY TIMER

Correct....the delay box worked with the conventional boxes with no problem, unplugged the box, plug in the Digital ballast without tampering with the wiring and the digital would only flicker......kinda like how they flicker if a bulb or ballast is bad, ya know!?! and I did double triple check, and all ballasts and bulbs work

Hmm. Well that sucks. I bet the problem could be resolved by using one additional 'regular' relay to run the power, instead of letting it go thru the delay. So in other words, instead of connecting the delay to the ballast, connect it to a relay that when activated let's the current thru. Know what I mean?

actually, i tried that too. i wired the timer in a conventional relay wiring fashion, but still had no success.

That's weird, it doesn't make since to me that it wouldn't work, but you would know since you experienced it first hand...

yeah, i agree. but like i said, without doing anything to the wiring on the timer, i plugged in the analog box and digital box back and forth, and the analog worked every time, whereas the digital wouldn't

yeah, i agree. but like i said, without doing anything to the wiring on the timer, i plugged in the analog box and digital box back and forth, and the analog worked every time, whereas the digital wouldn't

"i believe those units he has are analog.....all the digital ballast i've seen have an external igniter box......BUT i could be wrong. but I have only SEEN digital w/external igniters"

As far as I know my McCoullough ballasts aren't digital, and they have the separate ignitor boxes.

Well Brian,we have an interesting turn of events. went out to fire the bike up today, and my lo digital HID didn't work. plugged in my conventional HID and it worked. turns out that theres an intermittent problem with that bllast or igniter (which, by the way was just replaced under warranty), and now its bad again. first time i even plugged it in. beginning to not like HID's

I am thinking of buying a HID kit for my 2007 busa. My question is why does it matter if it fires twice when you turn it on and again after it starts? ??? I am putting them in my truck also and it does the same thing as the bike when its dark so how serious is this do I need a delay on my truck also? ???

I am thinking of buying a HID kit for my 2007 busa. My question is why does it matter if it fires twice when you turn it on and again after it starts? ??? I am putting them in my truck also and it does the same thing as the bike when its dark so how serious is this do I need a delay on my truck also? ???

It's not so much the double firing as the cranking of the starter causes the power to the ballasts to flicker, cycling the ignitors on and off. Sometimes this will actually cause a mis-fire and the light will not come on at all. Then you have to shut the bike off and try again, kind of a pain. This also adds extra cycles to the lifetime of the system, both HID and starter of the bike. With a delay or a switch you don't have to worry about it.

Some of the newer busas don't have this issue since they kill all power to the headlight during cranking anyway. I believe yours (2005+) does this.

Most cars and trucks have a switch for the regular beam and high beam lights, so you don't have the problem when starting up the vehicle.

In your description I believe you refer to 'starts' as the HID starting up, while the conversation in this thread is referring to 'starting' the bike engine.

Hope that explains it.

I have The 08 busa and I want to add HID's but not to which ones to purchase.Can someone give Me an idea to which ones are not to exspensive. I only want low beams . Thanks
I can get you a low beam set up for $55.00 shipped 5 year warranty and it'll be the slim kit not the big ballast easier to wire up and easier to mount. If your interested let me know I don't really like to do classified stuff here on the forum so much cause well I like it here. but if it'll help out let me know dude.

Thank you, my headlight does go completely out when cranking. I should have my HID kit today I guess all I can do is try it.

Well I installed the HID lights. My light goes completely out when cranking then comes back on, however, a couple of times the light has stayed out so I probably need to do the delay mod. Although, when it went out I didn't have to shut off the bike and recrank it I just put it in Neutral left the clutch out and hit the start button. The bike kills power to the headlight with the starter switch and the starter (on mine 2007) will not turn or try to start unless the clutch is pulled in. Light came right on.

Ok, so I'm currently wiring my bike and have come across 2 different diagrams. One has me grounding 2 of the wires, and the other doesn't. I'm not sure where to connect the ground, but last night I tried soldering a connection to the frame and it wouldn't stick.

So which method should I use?

Could I just follow the diagram on the left and attach the negative wire from the ballast to the negative (solid black) ground wire from the timer? If that doesn't work, would taking it 1 step further and splicing it into the black/white stripe wire work? Or do I need to run both all the way to the negative terminal of the battery separately? Thanks!

528twiring2.jpg

528t4hid.jpg

Last edited:
Ok, so here's an update. I tried wiring the ballast negative wire, black stripe wire and the relay ground (black) wire together. Everything was working great (except for the check engine light that came on). The delay timer worked, lows came on. Great. I tried flashing the brights, but there isn't enough charge so the flash is pretty weak. Then I turned the brights on (lows went off, which is normal on my bike). Still working great. But when I switched back to the low beam, it triggered the delay timer again. That wouldn't be very cool out riding at night. Kinda freaky actually.

So then I tried the wiring exactly as shown in the 2nd image above. All the same things happened, except this time I noticed that if I just left the low beams on, they would shut off after about 1 minute. I'm not sure if this was happening with the other configuration (or if they are essentially the same configuration).

I'm wondering if my bike is sensing that the power isn't going directly to the lights or something, and is shutting them down. I'm stumped. Can you guys help?

QUOTE(Then I turned the brights on (lows went off, which is normal on my bike).

What???what year Busa do you have ??? The low shouldn't cut off when you put the high beams on .

thebbbusa, great write up. I just got finished with my 6000K install. I almost gave up hope until I realized I hadn't plugged in the harness connector from the fairing to the bike. :laugh:

btw: flash-to-pass works great still, too, especially if you give the hi a good chance to warm up. even cold it still pops pretty bright; enough to get somebody's attention im sure.

Back