How to DIY 1999 2000 Step-By-Step Fuel Pump Filter replacement (no more cutting out!)

denon970

Registered
For the past 2 years, I've been having trouble with my 99 Busa (19,800 miles)...it cuts out around 6,000 RPM, stalls while idling, has jerky acceleration, and hard starts. I couldn't even leave it idling long enough to open the garage door without it dying. I think there are atleast a dozen other 99-00 owners around the oRg that have also been fighting this problem. I've done everything from replacing kinked fuel lines, to cleaning the injectors, to cleaning the in-tank filter. But they weren't the real issue...

I just got done replacing the 2 fuel pump filters, and thought I'd post some step-by-step pics. Some of the stuff is pretty basic, but I'm glad I put them all up because I just realized I forgot to tighten the 2 velocity stack / throttle body clamps on the bottom of the airbox after seeing these pictures.

Now it starts instaltly, has no idling problems, and has yet to cut out under acceleration. It was about 2 hours teardown, and 2 hours re-assembly, but will probably take half that the 2nd time around. :beerchug:

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

9.jpg

10.jpg

11.jpg

12.jpg

13.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: How to DIY 1999 2000 Step-By-Step Fuel Pump Filter replacement (no more cutting o

1st startup!! (used to crank for 3-5 seconds, sometimes longer...)

Re: How to DIY 1999 2000 Step-By-Step Fuel Pump Filter replacement (no more cutting o

Wow , what a write up :beerchug:
You could print that and sell it! Excellent pics.

That screen is gunked up eh ?
Did it's job. Video says it all. Flick and on! :)

Thanks Blanca. There's been alot of discussion around here recently about this, but I couldn't find any pics.

As dirty as the input screen was, the output filter was just stained...no particles or gunk there!

hey Cap anyway to pin this write up. great job!

Very cool write up, thanx!! Was thinking of doing the same to my '05. Where did you purchase the parts? Looks like the dealer?

Very cool write up, thanx!! Was thinking of doing the same to my '05. Where did you purchase the parts? Looks like the dealer?

I think it's a different procedure on the 2002 & up...just remove the tank and a few bolts to get at the pump. I got the parts from a Hayabusa guy (Ricks Custom Cycles) I met at the Detroit show, but any dealer will be able to order them. :beerchug:

I think it's a different procedure on the 2002 & up...just remove the tank and a few bolts to get at the pump. I got the parts from a Hayabusa guy (Ricks Custom Cycles) I met at the Detroit show, but any dealer will be able to order them. :beerchug:

Oh ok, had no idea it would be different! I hope its easier, LOL!! But thanx again for your time and effort! Write ups like these give DIY guys like me with little knowledge more confidence!!:bowdown:

Yo THANK YOU for this tutorial! I have a 2000 and have had the same problem since i got the bike. my filter was totally crushed from being so clogged it couldn't breathe at all and the suction smashed it. It had a tear in it that it was breathing through. Your pictorial should indeed be immortalized somewhere, amazing! again, thanks!

Oh ok, had no idea it would be different! I hope its easier, LOL!! But thanx again for your time and effort! Write ups like these give DIY guys like me with little knowledge more confidence!!:bowdown:

Big Moe, not sure if the whole process is easier on the 2001-2007s, but the pump itself is much easier to get to.

Fuel Pump Cleaning on an 06

Alot of guys are replacing the OEM pump with one made by Walbro...do a search and see if it's something you'd be interested in doing on yours while it's apart...

Yo THANK YOU for this tutorial! I have a 2000 and have had the same problem since i got the bike. my filter was totally crushed from being so clogged it couldn't breathe at all and the suction smashed it. It had a tear in it that it was breathing through. Your pictorial should indeed be immortalized somewhere, amazing! again, thanks!

Thanks IRISH!! I think all 99 & 00 owners will have to do this at some point.

Replaced Tank and pump with an 06 unit on my 99. No problems since~

Hey Buddha, I am looking to do this for my next upgrade to my 2000 model, Can you let me know what is involved please, I already done the 2003 upgrade to the starting system to do away with kickbacks etc etc, Cheers Paul

I'm about to do this same thing to my 08. Thanks for the post. :thumbsup:

Great writeup. I had to do this too on my '00. It sucked. No directions so it was carefully taking things apart. Got gasoline all over the place.

One thing you did not show is in Pic #6 I think, I also took the left side apart. There is a tiny screen on that side about the size of your pinky nail. That was clogged on mine and bike ran like crap when the tank was 1-2 gallons in the tank. Fill it up and ran like a top. Odd problem.

Replaced all filters & seals, plus cleaned out that pinky-sized mesh screen.

Great writeup. That 1-2 cranks thing only happens in my dream.

Btw there is a mesh screen when you take the petcock off that goes inside the tank. Might as well clean that out while people are in the fuel system cleaning mood. Mine also started a leak last week when I put the tank down. Some Yamabond 4 I had sitting around the house + re-installation and torque fixed it.

Great writeup. I had to do this too on my '00. It sucked. No directions so it was carefully taking things apart. Got gasoline all over the place.

One thing you did not show is in Pic #6 I think, I also took the left side apart. There is a tiny screen on that side about the size of your pinky nail. That was clogged on mine and bike ran like crap when the tank was 1-2 gallons in the tank. Fill it up and ran like a top. Odd problem.

here are the pics

modificaties_brandstoffilters_03.jpg

modificaties_brandstoffilters_04.jpg

In The Netherlands Hayabusaclubholland, we use as a Extra Mod.
A Extern Fuel Filter : MANN FILTER type WK 32/7

sold by all vw/audi dealers
Cost 10$

Greeting Kees

Last edited:

Thanks for the additional info pashnit. Thinking about opening the fuel system up again this winter to see what the filters look like and will definetely check out this little screen I missed. BTW 5,000+ miles later and it still starts up and runs like new.

couple of things that need to be noted after days taking this stuff apart--the fuel pump retainer can swell up and not fit properly and it is getting difficult to order the replacement parts due to the age of the bike!

Inline fuel filter size is 3/8" right?? anyone can verify this???

Thanks in advance

Back