How does the Air Shifter work.

eber820

Registered
Im new at the mods and i hear alot on the air shifter. How does it work? How does it benefit my 1/4 mile run? Sorry for the question but im barely learning about the 1/4 mile. Im new but i already love and i havent even raced my busa yet. Any tips on mods will be greatly appreciated.:lol:

How does a foot shifter benefit your 1/4 mile:
Many people will claim that an air shifter will take 1 or 2 tenths off of your 1/4 mile time. Thats both true and false. A good foot shifter can pre-load the shifter and blip the throttle in under 100 milli seconds. An air shifter will kill ignition for 75 to 100 milli seconds. I have seen foot shifted bikes go low 8s. BUT, it takes a very skilled rider to do that. I sure can't. Most riders have a hell of a hard time getting there foot up onto the pegs in time for the 1 -2 shift, risking hitting the limiter. Other foot-shift riders launch with there left foot up on the pegs so that they can catch the 1-2, but this leaves them horribly off balance. If they break the tire on launch, with one foot up on the pegs, the results aren't pretty. For the average racer (in my case below average) you will go faster more consistently with an air shifter. Cycle tek makes a pretty good product.

:thumbsup:agrre with Draco. I use the cycle-tek air shifter. Buy using it you dont have to lift off the throttle ,all ya do is hit the button.

When you hit shifter button it kills motor for miliseconds and shaft pushes into next gear.No need let off throttle @ all. I KNOW ON MY BIKE i cant shift 1to second in timwe without.My 60ft time is only 1.50 but im old overweight +kinda slow.I use the pingle electric shifter kinda pricy but dont have put air in.You turn key on pull in clutch push shifter button in 5 seconds start bike +its ready.it does shift up+down I only would use down shift @ very slow speeds.

it has nice small narrow button theres not much room on handlebars 2 mount BEWARE OF BIG OR WIDER BUTTONS.
thats why i have that laUNCH OR CLUTCH RELEASE BUTTON ON THAT BRACKET.

IMG_6431.jpg

Last edited:
Air shift is a great place to start with mods for drag racing. I"m using the muzzy with an on board compresser. works like a charm. I would suggest if you want to get into drag racing get some gear first. buy that i mean for you not the bike, a good set of leathers, boots, and gloves. then go crazy with mods. A little stretch and some spockets are a great place to start. I"m running 16/44

So whenever you use the shifter do you have to use the clutch?? WHats better the air shifter of electric shifter??

No you drop the clutch at launch and that's it. You can also get a setup that will shift at a set RPM, basically making the bike an automatic ( close ).

Which is better, boy , now you've done it :laugh:

My average foot shifting time for all gears during an entire race weekend is 140 milliseconds or .14 seconds. So the time I would save by button shifting (air/elect) can drop by .05 seconds (50 milliseconds). This isn't a huge time difference and isn't a direct correlation to your ET and/or MPH. The bigger advantage to button shifting is the improved chassis balance and the reduction of rpm drop after the shift. It's an overall smother action to button shift.

btw, it's not just the mechanical foot shifter that's needed but also an ignition and/or fuel interupt box that's needed in the whole equation.

Last edited:
it"s not about how fast the shifter works, the biggest gian with an air shift is the 1-2 shift with your feet still hanging,this lets you launch harder and will make for big gains on your 60 foot times, laying down a good 60 foot is the hardest part of drag racing. With a bike like the busa, you learn to 60 foot it and let the guys from japan do the rest.:laugh:

Hi can you tell me about the electronic shifter. Do you have to let blip the throttle every time you shift. Also do you have to rpm match when downshifting. Someone told me you do not have to at low speeds like riding on a main street with lights. I am just looking for options. You can email me with some answers myk1buff@gmail.com

Back